Single Black Female

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 16 Nov 2021
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Griffin

Tracy Brown's Single Black Female is a taut, edgy, deftly spun novel about four friends grappling with the dramatic twists and turns of life, love and what it means to “make it” in America.

Ivy Donovan is a successful stylist, entrepreneur, and single mom who has been loyal to her sons’ father, Michael, who’s serving a lengthy prison sentence. But life has gotten lonely over the years, and Ivy wants more for herself. Michael, however, isn’t about to lose his family.

Coco Norris is well-off, single, childless, and struggling with her allegiance to emotionally unavailable men. When she finds a man who seems like he can give her everything she has ever wanted, Coco soon discovers that she has taken on more than she can possibly handle.

Deja Maddox is a real estate agent who is married to Bobby, a police sergeant with the NYPD. They have assimilated, looking down on anything that doesn’t fit their buttoned-up, polished life. But Deja isn’t as satisfied as she would like everyone to believe. When Deja’s past returns with a vengeance, she’s forced to face herself as her “perfect” life begins to crumble.

Nikki Diamond is a savvy, self-made businesswoman and social media darling who lives large and with no regrets. She’s also Deja’s little sister and thinks her sister can have so much more than her ho-hum marriage. And Nikki is all too happy to lend a “helping” hand to make that happen.

Things come to a head when Ivy’s youngest son, Kingston, is caught up in a polarizing encounter with the NYPD. Everyone must figure out where they stand, including Bobby, who suddenly has to decide if his “blue life” matters more to him than his Black life and the Black lives of those he loves.

Single Black Female highlights the nuances of Black love, the often tested bonds of Black families, what it means to face the world as a Black man and the joy and pain of being a Black woman.

Ivy...

PRICE CA$22.99 (CAD)

Where do I even begin? One book has ever made me cry, and this is the second. This book started off as four friends who were finding love or finding love within themselves again. Just everyday black women going about living as black women. What I didn’t expect was the turn it took. That caught me off guard. I went from being chil and relaxed to just being so angry. As a black woman with a black son (he’s 3), I often have this fear that something like what happened to Kingston may happen to him. This is a reality for us. Yeah, I know this book is fiction, but it can also be classified as nonfiction because the issues portrayed in this book are very real. Not only that, but Ivy and Deja, how their men went to prison and were friends, but how their stories turned out so different. I say all that to say that I really loved this book. It took me through a range of emotions, but this narrative needs to stay in rotation. It needs to keep being told.

I was a little nervous at first when I opened this book.up.and the first chapter started off a little slow! After making it through that this book seriously didn't let go! I absolutely loved how Brown touched some serious issue topics in her novel! With out giving too much up I'm going to say..... This book was lit. And I enjoyed it the heck outta it! What I loved most was the kid who gets caught up with the police...... +++"Kingston son to Ivy is caught up in a polarizing encounter with the NYPD. Everyone is forced to figure out where they stand, including the police sergeant who suddenly has to decide if his "blue life" matters more to him than his black life and the black lives of those he loves." This book is compelling, wonderful, thought provoking, simply amazing! Thanks NetGalley, St. Martin's Press & Author for this awesome ebook copy! Very much appreciated!