Starter Vegetable Gardens, 2nd Edition

24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens

Pub Date 31 Jan 2023 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2023
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #StarterVegetableGardens2ndEdition #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Best-selling gardening author Barbara Pleasant makes organic vegetable gardening easy, fun, and rewarding with detailed planting and care designs for 24 beginner-friendly gardens to fit any site, whether it's a tiny side yard, a border, a trellis alongside the house, or a front yard. From exactly what plants (and how many) to buy, where and when to plant them, and how to care for each vegetable throughout the season, Pleasant encourages readers to start small, grow the food they love, and expand their plant selection as their skills develop. Specially tailored plans offer choices to fit a wide range of sites and food preferences, from the Front-Yard Food Supply to the Marinara Medley, Sweet Corn & Company, and High-Value Verticals.There's a plan and plant selection to fit every gardener's passion. Detailed plot plans show progressive stages for how each garden can be expanded gradually over the course of three years, ensuring that beginning gardeners will experience success and satisfaction without being overwhelmed by an over-ambitious plan at the start.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I'm not a starting gardener, but I am intrigued with this book and will be using tips and techniques shown here. Not only for the beginning gardener, but a book for every vegetable gardener. Thank you!

This was a very informative book! There were many plans to help gardeners, whether they are experienced or not. The different garden plans were very well explained and the pictures of each plan helped to explain how the layout worked in the different years of planting. I was glad that the author added information on insects but I wish she would have also added how to keep animals out of her garden. I am very excited about using some of the tips in my garden at home!

Being a somewhat beginning gardener, failed more than succeeded, this book has given me encouragement. It gave me specifics in planning my garden as the years go by and as my garden grows each year. Suggestions included easy to raise crops, what, how, how many to plant and caring for them is included. All topics from seed, mulch, fertilizer and even insects are covered to help you succeed in gardening. I recommend this for those starting out or are stuck in where to go with their garden or how to "grow" it. It is easy to follow and read.

The book takes you through soils, garden layout, plant placement, best practices for starting seeds and growth/maintenance, with year-to-year guidance as you begin your gardens and retain for future seasons. This is a fantastic "winter read" to work through and take notes without feeling rushed or overwhelmed to immediately implement. The illustrations were also very helpful in seeing concepts in action.

Thank you to Storey Publishing for the digital ARC provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Starter Vegetable Gardens is the perfect book for someone just getting started with gardening. The format is extremely helpful in building that first garden and expanding it year after year. The tips and "recipes" for the garden make it enjoyable to read. The crop by crop varieties section was especially helpful to the novice gardener and covered many of the typical garden varieties. As an experienced gardener, I found most of the varieties listed are tried and true in my garden. Overall the entire book is very well organized, very readable, and extremely helpful to all types of gardeners.

Great how to book for gardeners! Gardening is laid out in a 3 year program. This book makes gardening a breeze! From how to plot your garden, soil/fertilizer to add, and what types of vegetables to grow where. It’s written in an easy format with illustrations. This author makes gardening fool proof! I’ve been a gardener for years and learned quite a bit from this book! I’d highly recommend it!