Waves and Beaches

The Powerful Dynamics of Sea and Coast

Pub Date 16 Mar 2021 | Archive Date 15 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WavesandBeaches #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The Bestselling Classic Updated for Surfers, Sailors, Oceanographers, Climate Activists, and Those Who Love the Sea

First published in 1963 and updated in 1979, this classic was an essential handbook for anyone who studies, surfs, protects, or is fascinated by the ocean. The original author, Willard Bascom, was a master of the subject and included a wealth of information, based on theory and statistics, but also anecdotal observation and personal experience. It brought to the general public understanding of the awesome and complex power of the waves.

This revision from Kim McCoy adds recent facts and anecdotes to update the book’s relevance in the time of climate change. One of the most significant effects of global warming will be sea-level rise. What will this mean to waves and beaches, and what effects are we already seeing? New text and photos cover events such as the Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004, Hurricane Katrina flooding of 2005, and the 2011 earthquake and resulting devastation in Fukishima.

As well as students, surfers, and the general public, this updated edition of a beloved classic is an essential handbook for climate scientists and ocean activists, providing clear explanations and detailed resources for the constant battle to preserve the shore.

A Note From the Publisher

WILLARD BASCOM (1916-2000) was an engineer, adventurer and scientist, as well as a writer, photographer, painter, miner, cinematographer, and archeologist, who first proposed using Neoprene for wetsuits to fellow scientist Hugh Bradner. He authored several books, which include the topics of waves, geology, archaeology, poetry, and oceanography. In his book Deep Water, Ancient Ships he first proposed the hypothesis that anoxic water in the Black Sea would preserve ancient Black Sea shipwrecks. He led the first test drillings for Project Mohole, and was project director from 1960-1962. Bascom was a consultant to the Advisory Committee on Government Organization. He also served as the Technical Director of the Advisory Committee on Civil Defense of the National Academy of Science and National Research Council. He is the original author of Waves and Beaches, first published in 1963 and reissued in 1979 (Anchor). KIM MCCOY (San Diego) is an oceanographer and adventurer who has been seduced by beaches and observed waves on all seven continents; smeared in the fluid mud of the Amazon, journeyed along the Mekong, Nile and Mississippi Deltas, traveled the Australian coastline, plunged into the Antarctic Ocean (without a wetsuit), crossed the Pacific, Atlantic, Drake's Passage on ships and sailed a boat from Africa to the Caribbean. His ocean research began where the land and sea merge - with surf zone wave dynamics and continues today with the coastal effects of climate change. Expeditions from the tropics to polar oceans with multinational academic, commercial and governmental institutions helped McCoy pioneer advances in instrumentation, underwater communications, autonomous underwater vehicles and free-diving. Educated in Germany, France and the US, McCoy was presented with the Scientific Achievement Award in 2018 for his work as a Principal Scientist with NATO in Italy. Prior to Italy, he managed Ocean Sensors, Inc., was the Marine Technology Society Chair for Oceanographic Instrumentation and was awarded several patents. He recently completed an Ironman and says he will continue to swim, dive, surf, rock climb and paraglide until motion stops, viscosity ceases, buoyancy is overwhelmed.

Advance Praise

"The essential guide to waves, winds, and the wonders of the watery world."

James Nestor, New York Times bestselling author of Breath and Deep

Adventure Journal, Spring 2021 (review)

"What The Joy of Cooking is to home chefs, Waves and Beaches has been to sea lovers for nearly sixty years. The comprehensive tome is part fundamental instructional and part voluminous love letter to the alchemy of where land meets the sea. Willard Bascom, an engineer, adventurer, photographer, cinematographer, and scientist who pioneers a number of ocean technologies, including being one of the first to suggest neoprene as a wetsuit material, wrote the book in 1963. When Bascom died in 2000, oceanographer Kim McCoy, Bascom's friend and protégée, inherited the beloved manuscript. This third edition reflects both authors and their seventy years of experience on shorelines on all seven continents, as well as an updated devoted to the history and effects of climate change. Four hundred pages stuffed with physics illustrations, encyclopedic, test, and gorgeous photography makes for essential reading that belongs on the bookshelves of all coastal explorers."

"The essential guide to waves, winds, and the wonders of the watery world."

James Nestor, New York Times bestselling author of Breath and Deep

Adventure Journal, Spring 2021 (review)

"What The Joy of...

Marketing Plan

National media campaign including print reviews, online features and author appearances on radio & podcasts.

Author events (virtual & in-store)

Author events (virtual & in-store)

ISBN 9781938340956

I love the sea and the ocean. I am thrilled when the waves touch my skin. So , when I saw this book I knew I had to get my hands on it. The book presents significant scientific information in a way that is appealing and intriguing. The author employs the use of interesting anecdotes, historical events, and some genuinely humorous writing to keep the book light and easy to read. I am sure this book will resonate with a lot of readers and will be highly acclaimed. Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for providing a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publishers, and the author for giving me the opportunity to review this book. While I’m not the ideal reader for this book. Most of it went over my head but I still enjoyed it.

This updated edition of a highly technical book read by scientists, surfers and sailors offers new data relating to the sea and climate change. It’s filled with interesting facts, such as about efforts to convert ocean currents into usable power with tidal turbine systems; a history of tsunamis; and shoreline erosion. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

I love this book! Having lived by the sea all of my life I enjoy any book about the sea. This book taught me things I didn’t know. Simply wonderful. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in things seashore Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

This is a spectacular book for a wide audience. It has a great deal of detail and includes the mathematical equations behind many of the relationships between the various factors that affect the movement of water and beaches for those readers that really want to know the physics behind wave phenomena. On the other hand, it also qualitatively describes these same phenomena for those readers that want more of an overview and wish to skip the detailed explanations. I would highly recommend this book for anyone that has ever wondered why waves come in "sets"; or where the beach sand goes in winter; or why riptides form and how to recognize where they are before you enter the water. This book is a must-have for the marine enthusiast's library.