Southeast Medicinal Plants

Identify, Harvest, and Use 106 Wild Herbs for Health and Wellness

Pub Date 09 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 09 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #SoutheastMedicinalPlants #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Wildcraft Your Way to Wellness

In Southeast Medicinal Plants, herbalist CoreyPine Shane is your trusted guide to finding, identifying, harvesting, and using 106 of the region’s most powerful wild plants. Readers will learn how to safely and ethically forage, and how to use wild plants in herbal medicines, including teas, tinctures, and salves. Plant profiles include clear, color photographs, identification tips, medicinal uses and herbal preparations, and harvesting suggestions. Lists of what to forage for each season makes the guide useful year-round. Thorough, comprehensive, and safe, this is a must-have for foragers, naturalists, and herbalists in West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
Wildcraft Your Way to Wellness

EDITION Paperback

Definitely getting this for the library. Having something like this specifically for the Southeast is amazing. Loved it. Great guide.

Like all the books in this series, this is an excellent guide. Each plant is shown in at least one (usually 2 or 3) large, color photos and takes up 2-4 pages. You learn where to find it, what it's good for, any contraindications or warnings, and the best way to use it medicinally. The start explains good foraging practices and how to make tinctures, decoctions, teas, etc. There is a wide range of plants that can be used for a wide range of remedies. I appreciate the sustainable advice and reverence for the plants. Don't expect a lot of detail since so many plants are covered, or in depth recipes. This is still a fantastic guide though and deserves a place on any SE forager or herbalist's bookshelf. I read a temporary digital ARC of this book via net galley.

This is a great resource on the medicinal plants found in the Southeast. Filled with great photos and information. Recommended for those with some knowledge of how to prepare concoctions and those that feel comfortable with making their own remedies. The book doesn't go much into how to actually make remedies. So for beginner's this book serves as a useful information though not enough for some to feel confident in breaking into making natural remedies. The book would be great along with a hands-on class to get started.

The cover was eye appealing and title just caught my eye because I live in the south east. I love herbal remedy books and look forward to adding this to my shelf. What did I like? The book gives a ton of information about 106 different herbs found in the southeast. I live in a woodsy area deep in South Carolina so I was hoping to recognize something other than kudzu which swallows everything. It’s so plentiful I’m glad to hear it’s good for something. I enjoyed the photo’s, descriptions, and medicinal properties per herb. Identifying seems to be really hard since it seems like every plant has a poisonous look alike. Would I recommend or buy? Other than making sure your 100% positive you have the right plant this was a great book. I enjoyed looking through it and seeing what medicinal properties the plants have. I would recommend to people who live in the southeast so they could recognize the different plants and utilize for medicine if they choose to. I would love a copy for my shelf! Commune with nature… get out and identify! I received a complimentary copy to read and voluntarily left a review! Five stars!

I loved this book so much and I want to get a physical copy. I loved everything I learned in this book. about all the plants that are good for us and how they can be use to heal.

Southeast Medicinal Plants is a tutorial and wildcrafting guide and herbal for regional medicinal plants by CoreyPine Shane. Due out 9th Nov 2021 from Timber Press, it's 304 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats. This is an accessible well written herbal guide to 106 indigenous medicinal plants found in southeast North America, from the PA/MD border all the way down to Eastern TX. The author is an experienced wildcrafter and herbalist and writes precisely and well on the subject. The nomenclature he uses is correct and precise for clarity, safety, and identification. It's clear in the text that the author really feels a connection to the natural world and his respect and love shine through. The intro covers the widely disparate terrain contained the southeast along with safety and caution, responsible collecting, and wildcrafting through the seasons. Tools and supplies are covered in the text and are (mostly) easily accessible and will be on hand already for most readers or can be sourced at minimal cost. Each entry contains a highlighted text box with herbal preparations: simple recipes/guides for different uses, such as tinctures, infusions, etc. The bulk of the book contains an herbal type listing of the plants arranged alphabetically. The plant name is followed by species specifics, medicinal parts used, a descriptive paragraph, wildcrafting tips, where and when to harvest, usage cautions, and other info. Specific recipes are listed in a colored text box. Each also contains several clear photos showing different aspects of growth, habit, and seasonal appearance. Useful book, well written and illustrated. Five stars. Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes.