This Book is Cruelty Free

Animals and Us

Pub Date 10 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2021
Pavilion Books, Pavilion Children's

Talking about this book? Use #ThisBookisCrueltyFree #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An accessible guide to the issues around animal welfare for young people examining how the everyday choices they make affect animals and the environment.

This guide for older children and young teenagers demystifies the morals and ethics around animals, wildlife and the environment. How can we follow a cruelty-free diet? What are the ethics around pet ownership? What are the issues around show animals—zoos, circuses, and holiday attractions? Why are insects important? This essential book teaches us how to question ourselves, our family, our friends, and society, and make the right choices to live a cruelty-free life.

Linda Newbery is the author of fiction for children, teenagers and adults, with books including Lob, The Shell House, Sisterland and The Brockenspectre; her young adult novel Set in Stone won the Costa Children s Prize and she has twice been shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal. She is a long-term supporter of welfare and environmental organisations.

This guide for older children and young...

Advance Praise

"An accessible guide to the issues around animal rights." -- The Bookseller

"An accessible guide to the issues around animal rights." -- The Bookseller

PRICE CA$16.95 (CAD)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I am a secondary school teacher and I have recently done a scheme of work with my cultural studies and PSHE classes all about animal testing. This topic really intrigued me, and has inspired me to try harder to go cruelty-free with my cosmetics. This book has further developed my knowledge on this topic. There was so much in this book considering how short it was. I definitely learnt a lot. I liked how this book covered many aspects of animal cruelty - not just animal testing. There's a lot to take away from reading this book and I definitely recommend this book to everyone!

As a vegetarian, I think that this book was awesome. Sources are here, facts are here, no one can deny that we hurt animals. It’s incredibly well written, so everyone can read it. Definitely a must have.

Thank you, Netgalley and the publisher, for the opportunity to read an arc version of this book! I will be honest and admit that I am imperfect--I have been a vegetarian and occasional (~4 years) vegan for the past 15 years, but there is so much more I could be doing to live a cruelty-free life. This book introduces the concept of speciesism and how the human tendency to place animals below us impacts both ourselves and animals. I appreciated that this book included The Five Freedoms (ex. Freedom from fear and distress) as a grounding connection between the reader, and a way of building empathy. The book goes through the products we use daily, what we put into our bodies, and what we put on our bodies (fashion). This text is an excellent empathy-building read for students without having the emotional impact of a slaughterhouse video. That makes this book more palatable for readers who might not be ready to live a cruelty-free life but are curious. My only push would be for this book to have more imagery and varied structure for the young audience, as the blocks of text can be overwhelming. Very strongly researched text, however!

Thanks to the publishers for sharing this one. It's a great resource and a lovely way to get children to think about animal rights. My full review appears on Weekend Notes.

thank you netgalley for giving me this arc! as a teenage vegetarian i found this book super insightful and there was a lot to take away from it. i particularly loved the voice of this book and how instead of creating rules, they made suggestions and gave alternatives! this book was never boring and wasn't overrun by facts an statistics whilst still having a steady supply of data to back up the points. this book gave me a lot to think about and i think anyone could find this helpful!

This is a book everyone should read! In a clear, easy to understand way it discusses many topics involving animal cruelty, from farm factory to exotic pets. I thought it very good that climate change, overconsumption and biodiversity loss are also discussed, as these also have a huge impact on many animals. Without judging people the writer gives her opinion on every topic, she encourages her readers to think and make their own decisions. I highly recommend everyone reading this. This Book Is Cruelty Free should be in every school's library!

A book that can teach everybody. Newbery talks about animal cruelty in fashion, cosmetics and the most obvious agriculture while making it understandable and easy to comprehend for everybody with facts, and diagrams. She also talks about waste and climate change in connection to animals and how it all affects us if we let them extinct or treat our surroundings badly, as well as how we can change that. The book is very approachable and doesn't shove it into your face to be a "perfect human" that goes vegan, protests against animal cruetly etc. It wants to educate and maybe help you overthink your consume and feelings towards it.