Echo

Pub Date 08 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 08 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Echo #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From international bestselling sensation Thomas Olde Heuvelt comes Echo, a thrilling descent into madness and obsession as one man confronts nature—and something even more ancient and evil answers back.

“A compulsive page turner mixing supernatural survival horror and pulp adventure” — Paul Tremblay, author of A Head Full of Ghosts and The Pallbearers' Club

Nature is calling—but they shouldn't have answered.

Travel journalist and mountaineer Nick Grevers awakes from a coma to find that his climbing buddy, Augustin, is missing and presumed dead. Nick’s own injuries are as extensive as they are horrifying. His face wrapped in bandages and unable to speak, Nick claims amnesia—but he remembers everything.

He remembers how he and Augustin were mysteriously drawn to the Maudit, a remote and scarcely documented peak in the Swiss Alps.

He remembers how the slopes of Maudit were eerily quiet, and how, when they entered its valley, they got the ominous sense that they were not alone.

He remembers: something was waiting for them...

But it isn’t just the memory of the accident that haunts Nick. Something has awakened inside of him, something that endangers the lives of everyone around him…

It’s one thing to lose your life. It’s another to lose your soul.

Marketing Plan

Marketing Plan:

- National print and online publicity campaign

- Virtual events and convention appearances

- National online consumer advertising, including Goodreads, Book Riot, Bloody Disgusting, and Den of Geek

- Prepublication buzz campaign including trade and consumer advertising

- ARC Sweepstakes and promotions on Goodreads and NetGalley

- Pre-order campaign with limited edition promotional item

- Indie next campaign

- Digital preview

- NetGalley Outreach

- #Echo digital marketing campaign, author guest posts, targeted eblasts, social media promotions, and sweepstakes

- Cross promotions with Macmillan Audio

- Tor.com promotions including excerpts and review

- Newsletter marketing campaign

Marketing Plan:

- National print and online publicity campaign

- Virtual events and convention appearances

PRICE CA$39.99 (CAD)

ECHO is a wonderfully complex novel (if you've read Author Heuvelt's earlier novel, HEX, you will certainly retain some idea of his complexity and imaginative gifts). With LGBTQ + rep delightfully done, settings supremely designed in Amsterdam and Switzerland, a superb vein of rural European Folk Horror, ECHO is fascinating, riveting....and extremely terrifying.

After reading Thomas Olde Heuvelt's Hex, I knew immediately that his upcoming USA release for Echo would be right up my alley. The story is a supernatural horror taking form and causing havoc upon a gay couple? SOLD. This story focuses on Nick Grevers and his boyfriend Sam Avery. Nick is a major fan of mountain climbing, while his boyfriend Sam is apprehensive about this hobby of his. They met several years prior, with Sam moving from New York to Europe to be with him. However, Nick and his climbing partner Augustin reach trouble at a remove mountain peak in the Swiss Alps, specifically called Maudit. Unbeknownst to Nick, he wakes up in a coma and Augustin is dead. Nick's face, once beautiful and provided him the luxury of privileges he took for granted, is now completely scarred from the nose down. Nick's face is mutilated and even with reconstruction surgery, he will never be the same Nick again. Sam is scared about what that means for their relationship as they are still young and naïve about romance. Will Sam stay with Nick? The old Nick may not look the same anymore, but something else is also brewing inside of him, what exactly is Nick hiding from that night? I want to be vague on the synopsis because I went in only knowing it was gay and horror, and I want you to go in knowing as little as possible as well. It's a bit longer than it should be, but ultimately its a powerful story about love and acceptance, mental health, and of course, all intertwined with supernatural horror. I really loved the main characters in their own specific ways and at the core of this book is a romance (in my opinion). This story is really dark and the first chapter in the book is one of the scariest pieces of fiction I've ever read in my life. I don't really know how to compare this book with anything else I've read, but I definitely got Insidious / Conjuring vibes, I guess? This story isn't for everybody, but if you like slow burning suspense, mixed with deep character driven narratives, I say go for it. Echo is very much like Hex in a sense that at times, the author lets your mind come to your own conclusions to certain plot points. The scariest thing in the world is one's own imagination, and Echo reeks havoc on it. I hope to see more of these types of novels from Thomas Olde Heuvelt.

Echo is a well-crafted book that uses supernatural horror as lens through which the author explores deeper, and ultimately more human, horrors such as: losing a loved one, how a relationship shifts over time and through trials, the way guilt can shape our view of the world, and the fear of losing yourself. A very engaging read & wickedly atmospheric.