New Year

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 02 Nov 2021

Talking about this book? Use #NewYear #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this masterful novel, author Juli Zeh skillfully shifts away from the conventional tale of a middle-aged, middle-class father out for a New Year’s Day bike ride to an unexpectedly dark, psychological family drama.

Advance Praise

“Zeh challenges readers to consider how complicit we are in our current political dilemmas.” —Los Angeles Times

“Because both the thriller and the analysis of society are here intertwined so densely, New Year is perhaps Juli Zeh’s best book to date.” —Süddeutsche Zeitung

New Year is an impressively original book whose elegant construction testifies to Zeh’s writerly prowess.” —New Books in German

Marketing Plan

• National TV, radio, print, and online review campaign

• Virtual or inperson author events

• Book club discussion guide

•...

I really enjoyed this title and highly recommend. I feel this will make an excellent addition to anyone’s book collection. Please be sure to go and pick this one up

What a brilliant writer! I can’t fault it. The book zipped along with the kind of prose that is a joy to read. I wanted it to last longer.

A big thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me this thought provoking novel for review. The novel is the perfect blend of literary fiction and a gripping mystery story. One cringes to use the cliches,“page turner” and “unputdownable” but it is quite impossible to stop reading the book once you have started it. The reader is carried on by the suspense Zeh creates and is desperate to know how the story ends. The characterisation is perfect. Henning is the father of two and seems to be happily married. There are the usual ups and downs of family life but nothing out of the ordinary. However, Henning is a bit of a mystery. Why does he feel so alienated and why have these constant panic attacks? He at Lanzarote around New Year for a holiday with his family; he decides to cycle up a steep mountain to Femés. He fights against the bitter cold and the steep incline and is almost delirious with exhaustion when he reaches the deserted town. The obstacles are not merely physical but psychological as well. But why does it all seem so familiar? Has he been here sometime before when he was a child? Are there some repressed memories which are waiting to escape? The scene shifts to several years earlier when Henning, a child of four, and his younger sister, find themselves abandoned by the parents and completely alone with almost nothing to eat or drink. Zeh brilliantly captures the tense situation and especially the voice of the children as they battle to keep some vestige of normalcy under impossible circumstances. Once again Zeh raises a lot of questions the answers of which we are desperate to know. Why have the parents abandoned the children? When will they return? How will the children manage without their parents? Does this event which must have been very traumatic for the children, especially for Henning—who is older and is responsible for taking care of his sister—ruin his life and is it the main cause of his panic attacks? The description of the children who are forced to fend for themselves and their joy at hearing a car arrive is heart rending and deeply moving. The story is narrated in such a vivid and compelling manner that the reader feels he is witnessing the events. The novel is unusual but it is a tour de force and is highly recommended

Lanzarote on New Year’s Day: Henning is cycling up the steep path to Femés. As he struggles against the wind and the gradient he takes stock of his life. He has a job, a wife, two children—yet hardly recognizes himself anymore. Panic attacks have been pouncing on him like demons. When he finally reaches the pass in utter exhaustion, a mysterious coincidence unveils a repressed yet vivid memory, plunging him back into childhood and the traumatic event that almost cost him and his sister their lives. In this masterful novel, bestselling author Juli Zeh skillfully turns a New Year’s Day bike ride into an unexpectedly dark, psychological family drama. This book is perfection. I loved the emotions this book puts the reader through.

This book was so suspenseful. I found myself unable to put it down as I had to know where it was going to lead. The depictions of anxiety and trauma were really well done and the exploration of family relationships was engrossing. What began as a new years day bike ride developed into a psychological thriller and I loved it!

An incredibly well-crafted book in which the atmosphere builds and builds until you almost cannot bear it anymore. I couldn’t put it down and finished it within a few hours. Masterful.

New Years is a novel that focuses on a single character and their story, which is told in a special way. There is the general story of cycling on the mountain, which is interrupted again and again by the thoughts of the protagonist Hennings. This reminded me a lot of the wandering of thoughts – especially mine - when you really jog, ride a bike or just go for a walk, my own thoughts wander into another time, relive things, evaluate and rethink what has been done. This way of writing was a bit strange for me as I hadn’t really encountered it before, but I got into it pretty quickly. The figure Henning is very interesting, at the beginning you have no prior knowledge about him and his history. He is characterized only by his thoughts about himself, his environment and his goal to climb the mountain. I was spellbound by him and wanted to know what he was thinking, why he thinks that way and how the individual events in his head were related to each other. A topic that is also raised again and again is equality, mostly between him and his wife, I find this construct built up by the characters very exciting. The book was a very enlightening experience for me as some things became clear to me and yet afterwards, I felt like I had climbed this mountain myself and visited my own demons. I read this book in one day and now wonder how I would have acted. I will definitely be checking out more from this author. I would highly recommend.