Raising LGBTQ Allies

A Parent's Guide to Changing the Messages from the Playground

Narrated by Greg Tremblay

Pub Date 06 Jul 2021 | Archive Date 31 Jul 2021

Talking about this book? Use #RaisingLGBTQAllies #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

No matter who we are or where we come from, we all play on the same playground. There are certain collective societal messages we hear growing up that we either consciously or subconsciously believe. As a result, we develop certain belief systems from which we operate our lives.

Chris Tompkins’s Raising LGBTQ Allies sheds light on the deeper, multi-faceted layers of homophobia. It opens up a conversation with parents around the possibility they may have an LGBTQ child and shows how heteronormativity can be harmful if not addressed clearly and early. Although not every parent will have an LGBTQ child, their child will jump rope or play tag with a child who is.

By showing listeners the importance of having open and authentic conversations with children at a young age, Tompkins walks parents through the many ways they can prevent new generations from adopting homophobic and transphobic beliefs, while also helping them explore their own subconscious biases.

Offering specific actions parents, family members, and caregivers can take to help navigate conversations, address heteronormativity, and challenge societal beliefs, this book serves as a guide to help normalize being LGBTQ from a young age. Creating allies and a world where closets don't exist happens one child at a time. And it begins with each of us and what we say, as much as what we choose not to say.

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged