The Hidden History of American Healthcare

Why Sickness Bankrupts You and Makes Others Insanely Rich

Pub Date 07 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 23 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheHiddenHistoryofAmericanHealthcare #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Popular progressive radio host and New York Times bestselling author Thom Hartmann reveals how and why attempts to implement affordable universal healthcare in the United States have been thwarted and what we can do to finally make it a reality.

"For-profit health insurance is the largest con job ever perpetrated on the American people—one that has cost trillions of dollars and millions of lives since the 1940s,” says Thom Hartmann.

Other countries have shown us that affordable universal healthcare is not only possible but also effective and efficient. Taiwan’s single-payer system saved the country a fortune as well as saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, enabling the country to implement a nationwide coronavirus test-and-contact-trace program without shutting down the economy. This resulted in just ten deaths, while more than 500,000 people have died in the United States.

Hartmann offers a deep dive into the shameful history of American healthcare, showing how greed, racism, and oligarchic corruption led to the current “sickness for profit” system. Modern attempts to create versions of government healthcare have been hobbled at every turn, including Obamacare.

There is a simple solution: Medicare for all. Hartmann outlines the extraordinary benefits this system would provide the American people and economy and the steps we need to take to make it a reality. It’s time for America to join every industrialized country in the world and make health a right, not a privilege.

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Average rating from 1 member

WOW! This book blew me away with the overt racist history behind American Healthcare. I loved that the author laid out all of the reasons people give to NOT wanting single payer or Medicare for all....socialism, people would overwhelm the system with nonsense, etc. The author combats these arguments with facts and how to make a single payer system happen. Its beyond time that the American system is reformed and includes more people. BRAVO to the author for covering this timely topic. Thank you to Netgalley and to the publisher for giving me this ARC in exchange for this honest review.