Our National Forests

Pub Date 09 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 09 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #OurNationalForests #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Stories from America’s Most Important Public Lands

Across 193 million acres of forests, mountains, deserts, watersheds, and grasslands, national forests provide a multitude of uses as diverse as America itself. Welcoming 170 million visitors each year to hike, bike, paddle, ski, fish, and hunt, “the people’s lands” offer more than just recreation. Timber is harvested, lost habitats are recovered, and endangered wildlife is protected as part of the Forest Service’s enduring mission.

In Our National Forests, Greg Peters reveals an inside look at America’s most important public land and the people committed to protecting it and ensuring access for all. From the story of how the Forest Service grows millions of seedlings in the West each year, to their efforts to save the hellbender salamander in Appalachia, the narrative spans the breadth of the country and its diverse ecology. People are at the center of the stories, whether the dedicated folks in the Forest Service, or the everyday citizens who support and tend to the protected lands near their homes.

This complete look at America’s National Forests—their triumphs, challenges, controversies, and vital programs—is a must-read for everyone interested in the history of America's most important public lands.
Stories from America’s Most Important Public Lands

A well-constructed book that interweaves history and personal anecdotes to explain the Forest Service; diving into the conservation efforts dating back to the 19th century, to combat over lumbering in forests, cropping in grasslands, and dedicating specific areas to help rebuild depleted ecosystems and protect indigenous tribal lands. This book contains wonderful illustrations and efforts made by the Forest Service to protect lands that can be generally free for public use. I am an avid hiker, but stick mostly to National and State Parks. Although, I had (unknowingly) visited national forests. This book helped me understand the processes that have been undertaken to help many of these beautiful places in the US survive and how important education of visiting natural areas is. I found the seeding houses fascinating and really enjoyed the historical sections of the book. Thank you Netgalley and Timber Press for this ARC. This book offered some great insight into the history of the Forest Service and reminds people to be more conscientious when visiting natural areas – also educating others as well. Maybe I will look in to volunteering or donating to some of these efforts.

This was a nice educational read full of a lot of great information. I am an environmental science major, so of course I enjoyed this. I think this is a great book for teens and up that will introduce people to the world of national forests!

Beautiful pictures! A fascinating yet sobering look into the creation of the Forest Service and their work to preserve the land that progress has been trying to take away. Their efforts to stem the tide of deforestation are awe-inspiring and much needed to restore our landscape. There's also a section about the Native Americans and how they were treated. I learned so much from this book and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in history and science.

I liked how visual this book was. And also how it included forests from all over the US and not just the west. I thought it was a good overview that allowed the reader to learn without feeling overwhelmed. But also detailed enough to give the reader a good understanding. It was a bit hard to read on a kindle with how the captions aligned with the broken up photos but it was manageable

Stunning pictures representing a beautiful country! A fascinating yet sobering look into the creation of the Forest Service and their work to preserve the land that progress has been trying to take away the touch of history will provide insight to many who are unfamiliar with the historic aspect. Additionally, I did find the book some what political providing the Bills and Barons of the country how they tried to help preserve when others tried to continue to bleed the resources. Their efforts to stem the tide of deforestation are inspiring, forward reaching and much needed to restore our landscape. There's also a section about the Native Americans and how they were treated. I liked how visual this book was. And also how it included forests from all over the US and not just the west. I thought it was a good overview that allowed the reader to learn without feeling overwhelmed., also engaging enough to give the reader a good understanding.

A really nice look at how the forests, laws and other events took place and formed in a number of the places in the USA. A map at start.

I found this to be an excellent book about the history of the Forest Service and the National Forests. Everyone is familiar with our National Parks, not so many with our National Forests. This is unfortunate, as the Forests also offer almost unlimited possibilities for recreation, and are much less likely to be crowded. I found the history behind National Forests to be interesting, as well as the dedication of the employees. The illustrations and photographs are awesome! All in all, this is an excellent book!

Our National Forests is an engaging look at public lands and the history of the forest service in the USA written by Greg M. Peters. Due out 9th Nov 2021 from Workman Publishing on their Timber Press imprint, it's 280 pages and will be available in hardcover, audio, and ebook formats. This is a well written and philosophical history and examination of public lands in the United States. The author clearly has a deep engagement and broad knowledge of the subject and writes accessibly and authoritatively. In addition, the book is packed with beautiful color photos of awe-inspiring and unspoiled nature. The content is arranged thematically: eastern forests, growing trees/reforestation, grassland restoration, Native Americans and their struggles to be heard, the (harmful) impact of humans on fragile ecosystems (poop, for example), future scenarios, citizen science (counts and spotting), fires and aftermath, and diversity and representation in public land use. The book is well annotated and the chapter notes will give keen readers many additional hours of enjoyment. Four stars. This would be a good choice for public or school library acquisition, gardening/nature groups, home library, or for fans of nature and conservation reading. Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes.

Known as "the people's land," Greg M. Peters reveals an inside look at America's most important public land. "Our National Forests" centers around the people: dedicated employees part of the Forest Service and the citizens supporting and tending to protected lands near their homes. Through Peters' extensive research, this book examines multiple bodies on history, legislations, controversies, challenges and triumphs surrounding our essential public lands across the United States. This book is filled with gorgeous photographs that were just captivating and moving. Through Peters' excellent writing with intriguing premise, the content was very insightful and informative. For someone like myself who had limited knowledge about our national forests, the writing was very accessible and easy to understand. Peters' passion and his love for our national forests truly shines bright. I always carried mother nature in a special place in my heart, but after delving in-depth it provided me with a greater respect and admiration for what our public land represents and offers. Most importantly, the ongoing fight and the devotion of the people who love and support our national forest is truly remarkable and awe-inspiring. Filled with fascinating basketful of contents plus beautiful illustrations that will be a delightful treat for readers interested in nature and conservation elements. Thank you to NetGalley and Timber Press for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

An interesting and informative read about the National Forests. I like the concepts too of making me pause and think about the views the average person has on the management issues of public lands. Sadly, the exploitation and apathy doesn't seem to be ending any time soon. Great visuals throughout as well. Highly recommend.