Love & Other Disasters

Pub Date 18 Jan 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #LoveOtherDisasters #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The first openly nonbinary contestant on America’s favorite cooking show falls for their clumsy competitor in this delicious romantic comedy debut “that is both fantastically fun and crack your heart wide open vulnerable.” (Rosie Danan, author of The Roommate)

Recently divorced and on the verge of bankruptcy, Dahlia Woodson is ready to reinvent herself on the popular reality competition show Chef’s Special. Too bad the first memorable move she makes is falling flat on her face, sending fish tacos flying—not quite the fresh start she was hoping for. Still, she's focused on winning, until she meets someone she might want a future with more than she needs the prize money.

After announcing their pronouns on national television, London Parker has enough on their mind without worrying about the klutzy competitor stationed in front of them. They’re there to prove the trolls—including a fellow contestant and their dad—wrong, and falling in love was never part of the plan.

As London and Dahlia get closer, reality starts to fall away. Goodbye, guilt about divorce, anxiety about uncertain futures, and stress from transphobia. Hello, hilarious shenanigans on set, wedding crashing, and spontaneous dips into the Pacific. But as the finale draws near, Dahlia and London’s steamy relationship starts to feel the heat both in and outside the kitchen—and they must figure out if they have the right ingredients for a happily ever after.

Marketing Plan

For inquiries, please contact Estelle Hallick, estelle.hallick@hbgusa.com.

For inquiries, please contact Estelle Hallick, estelle.hallick@hbgusa.com.

While I am normally not picking up romances, Love & Other Disasters is easily one of my new favorites. I am so glad I picked it up because I was absolutely buzzing after reading it and have not stopped thinking about it since. The story follows Dahlia and London as they compete in the TV cooking competition, "Chef's Special," and navigate their feelings for one another. Notably, London is also non-binary, and their experiences with coming out and moving through life as non-binary are explored with respect and sensitivity, which I appreciated. I found the romance a lot more realistic in terms of building interest in one another compared to most romances that I have read, and I think the book is a great gateway into more adult romance. It is fresh and engaging, and I read through it in just one sitting. Anita Kelly pulled off writing from both perspectives very well, which brought a lot more depth to Dahlia and London. Both were loveable characters, and their determination in trusting themselves as individuals. Overall, it is going to be a long-term favorite, and I am very excited to read more books by Anita Kelly in the future. I received an e-copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank Netgalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for this opportunity.

I started this book at work on my lunch break which was a horrible mistake because that meant I couldn’t read it straight through in one sitting. Love & Other Disasters has occupied by every thought for the past day and a half as I read it. From the moment you start this book, you will not want to do anything but read it until the end. Our two main characters Dahlia and London are two contestants on a reality cooking competition called “Chef’s Special.” They have a bit of a ‘crumby’ start, but find themselves in a ‘sweet,’ ‘sizzling’ romance throughout the recording of the show. (I promise the book is better than my half-assed food puns!) This book has queer, pansexual, and nonbinary representation all within the two main characters. There are some plot points about transphobia, but Kelly treats London with love and respect. It is never coming from Dahlia or any heavily featured character. Anita Kelly has proved herself to be a great talent in romcoms.

Thank you Forever, NetGalley and Author for this advance ebook copy in return for an honest review! WoW! What can I say other than I absolutely loved this story!?! And I loved every word of it. This was so fast-paced and hilarious, and so realistic in the best way possible. I literally devoured this book Her characters are real people with real struggles and deserve the happiness that she beautifully encapsulates. The writing for this book was refreshing and there were plenty of times that I had that stupid smile on my face because of how lovey the characters were. Amazing story! Loved everything about this outstanding novel! Thanks again NetGalley, Publisher and Author for the chance to read and review this amazing book! I'll post to my Social media platforms closer to pub date!

This book was actually one of the cutest things I have ever read. My mouth literally hurt because I was smiling so much. There was a beautiful romance story that touched on some great topics. The representation in this book was great and the love story was fantastic. This was the first book I have read with a non-binary character, and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend and I will 100% be buying this when it comes out! Thank you to NetGalley and Forever publishing for letting me enjoy and review this amazing book!

Beautiful, breathtaking, never been done before. I loved this book so much, they got together fairly fast but I loved it. The relationship between London and Dahlia was done so well, having both povs was excellent. i received an arc from netgalley.

This was a cute romcom that I devoured in one sitting. The rep in this is some of the best I've seen in the genre, and it honestly is the type of romcom that warms your heart and has you squealing with glee. Dahlia and London have such a cute relationship and I loved the cooking show element.