The Hush

Pub Date 02 Nov 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheHush #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A multigenerational, female-led thriller, and a terrifying conspiracy that goes right to the heart of the British Government.

Six months ago, in an English hospital, a healthy baby wouldn’t take a breath at birth. Since then there have been more tragedies, and now the country is in turmoil. The government is clamping down on people’s freedoms. The prime minister has passed new laws granting authorities sweeping powers to monitor all citizens. And young pregnant women have started going missing.

As a midwife, Emma is determined to be there for those who need her. But when her seventeen-year-old daughter Lainey finds herself in trouble, this dangerous new world becomes very real, and both women face impossible choices. The one person who might help is Emma’s estranged mother, but reaching out to her will put them all in jeopardy …

The Hush is a new breed of near-future thriller, an unflinching look at a society close to tipping point and a story for our times, highlighting the power of female friendship through a dynamic group of women determined to triumph against the odds.

Six months ago, in an English hospital, a healthy baby wouldn’t take a...

Advance Praise

“Brilliantly imagined and superbly told, this story reaches out and grabs you right from the outset. It’s impossible to put down, not just because of the gripping plot but because the three women at the centre of the book wind themselves around your heart as they struggle to comprehend the increasingly frightening world they’re living in. This is the novel everyone will be talking about this year.”

-Natasha Lester, New York Times bestselling author of The Paris Secret

"Smart and considered, this is the book I wish I had written. Sara Foster is one of my favourite writers."

-Dervla McTiernan

EDITION Hardcover

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This is the type of science fiction that I enjoy because it (sadly) doesn't feel like a huge leap for something like this to happen, which is also terrifying. I loved the strong female characters in this novel. I do however think that there was a lot of build up and I wanted a bigger payout at the end. Kindly received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley, Blackstone Publishing. and Foster for this outstanding novel! I believe this was my first book ever that I've read on my Kindle reader where I highlighted so many thing's! Also I have to say ever since Covid I have been waiting patiently for a book similar to The Hush. I am going to try to keep this review short & sweet. The Hush is going to be the talk of the books this fall. Here we are in London and sucked right into the British Government. The two main characters Emma a midwife who works at one of the local hospitals and her teen daughter Lainey. The entire country is in turmoil. Viruses, terrorism, climate change and now newborn babies are dying. And now pregnant teen girls have gone missing! The government has taken away most of their freedom. Wearing watches that tracks their every move. They can't use cash anymore only through their watches. Wild I'm here to tell ya! Emma has seen this crisis first hand as she delivers still born babies. But she is determined to find out what is causing these babies death and how this happened. Now even more so when her seventeen year old daughter goes missing. The story is told between Emma and Lainey as they live day by day in this hell they call life. Which I absolutely enjoyed that, reading what they are thinking and feeling. Ya'll I have never read a book as good as The Hush! Foster I freaking love you and your writing is top notch. So brilliant and amazing. What I loved and enjoyed most was that this is actually something that could damn well happen to our country. Thats what drew me in and had me turning the pages till 3am because this book talks about media fear mongering, corruption in the government. I loved everything about this book! The characters were awesome and Emma a mother who will stop at nothing to save her daughter and Lainey a girl is is brave and determined to do whats right! Foster's writing was beyond great. Her storytelling is fabulous and will draw you in and keep you hooked. So much for keeping this short and sweet huh! I want to thank NetGalley, Blackstone Publishing and Sarah for this outstanding, remarkable, magnificent story!

I loved this book!!!! I was thoroughly entertained and at the edge of my seat the entire time! This is essentially a near future, post covid world and it was almost too real and scary to read this at times. I blew through this in a day, I was that obsessed with finding out what would happen next. Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for this ARC! This book was so good! I loved the strong female characters especially Emma and Lainey. This book really drew me in and had me hooked with all the government corruption going on. This is the first political thriller I’ve read and WOW! Just so wonderfully written by Sara Foster! This is a must read!! 4.5/5 stars

First of all, Thankyou you Netgalley for this amazing book by Sara Foster. This book was captivating from the very start. Babies across the world are being born to a healthy pregnancy but refuse to take their first breath. With all of these stillbirths racking up daily the government is going to extremes to track and research the reason. Pregnant women must take their tests at the pharmacy and turn in their results. If they’re pregnant they’re taken. When labor finds herself pregnant she worries for what her future holds

Thank you to NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for my copy of The Hush by Sara Foster in exchange for an honest review. It publishes November 2, 2021. Wow, this book. I did not want to put it down. I truly think everyone should read it. I felt like it was almost prophetic and for that reason it terrified me! This book was very well-written and well-researched. I felt the subject matter was extremely relevant and telling of what's going on in society and where things could go. I will say that there are some triggers, revolving around pregnancy, infant death, sex, coarse language and mistreatment of minors.

The Hush is set in the near future in the UK, which has been swept by an epidemic of mysterious stillbirths of babies who seem perfectly healthy right up until the moment they are delivered - at which point, they simply never take a breath. In a climate of heightened surveillance and the government suppressing freedoms in the name of safety, young pregnant women have started going missing. As a midwife, Emma’s once-rewarding job has become a waking nightmare. When her teenage daughter Lainey admits she’s pregnant, Emma knows she will do anything to keep her daughter safe. For the most part, this book is not what you’d call “action-packed” in the traditional sense – no car chases or standoffs at gunpoint here – and it’s just a little slow to get started, but the author still manages to ratchet up the tension, make the pace quick enough, and pack in enough intrigue, conspiracy, and mystery to earn its place in the “thriller” genre. The book also has a distinctly dystopian flavor, even though it’s set less than 10 years after the COVID-19 pandemic. The fact that it takes place only a few years in the future – and that the future portrayed is believably extrapolated from current events – makes it all the more terrifying. I really enjoyed the book – the plot and the mystery were intriguing and the main characters (the POV switches between Emma and her daughter Lainey) were people you really wanted to root for. My only real complaint is that the ending was pretty abrupt and left some threads unresolved. I would have liked to see more of the aftermath. Representation: Women of color as prominent side characters CW: Pregnancy loss, abduction, gaslighting, government abuse of power

Published on Instagram @Tiffany_is_reading Holy shit! This was so good. I love a good dystopian story. This was definitely “near future” as it was described in the synopsis, and it felt so terrifying as it references Covid as the start of the troubles. The characters were all amazing in this, and I could not stop reading to see where it was all going.

I have a lot to say about this novel, but lest I delve into a thought piece rather than a review, let me put it plainly; you should read this. Think "Handmaids Tale" meets "1984"; a feminist "what if" put into practise. A not-too-distant future England is still reeling from the aftermath of COVID-19 & climate crisis, and sent into a tailspin by widespread pregnancy complications. At the heart of the tale are three generations of women, navigating life during a hell scape of a socio-political climate. This is both touching & thought provoking; thrilling, yet unsettling in it's plausibility. Highly recommend!