The Bone Wars

Pub Date 11 Apr 2023 | Archive Date 15 Mar 2023

Talking about this book? Use #TheBoneWars #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Sixteen-year-old Molly Wilder just discovered what appears to be a dragon fossil on her summer internship in the Badlands of Montana. After a secret organization steals it, she must pair up with the world’s most renowned paleontologists to track it down.

Rome, A.D. 306. Emperor Constantine converts the Roman Empire to Christianity. Over the next two decades, his armies destroy pagan idols across Europe and the Middle East.

England, A.D. 1830. Paleontologist Mary Anning writes to Sir Richard Owen, describing a fossil that she discovered in the cliffs of Lyme-Regis. She writes that the fossil is a large wing made of black bone.

Montana, A.D. 2023. Sixteen-year-old Molly Tanner discovers a mysterious fossil while on a summer internship. The fossil has a large wing structure, horned skull, and black bones. Neither famed fossil-hunter Derek Farnsworth nor renowned paleontologist Dr. Sean Oliphant can place it in a recognized dinosaur family.

For 65 million years, the Badlands of Montana have held a secret hidden in their depths...

A Note From the Publisher

What makes this book special?

1) HARD SCI-FI MEETS YOUNG ADULT. The Bone Wars blends the young-adult genre with hard science-fiction. The novel is chock full of both globe-trotting adventure and science, in this case paleontology. Young readers will feel like they too are paleontologists.

2) A BOOK WITHIN A BOOK. The novel is quasi-epistolary, with a series of fictional letters between Mary Anning, Sir Richard Owen, and the other major 19th-century paleontologists. The letters provide an alternate history in which these paleontologists sought to prove not just the existence of dinosaurs but actual mythical creatures.

3) WRITTEN BY AN EXPERIENCED PALEONTOLOGIST. The Bone Wars evolved from a story Erin made up for her own children, telling it to them at bedtime each night. The novel brings that experience home for everyone else’s children.

4) FIRST IN A SERIES. While the novel can stand on its own, it is intended as the first novel in a series. The second novel (already outlined) follows Molly and the other main characters as they travel across Mongolia in search of more rare fossils.

What makes this book special?

Marketing Plan

• National media coverage
  • Submission to all trade publications, children’s, and young adult book reviewers
  • Comprehensive galley mailing to libraries and top children’s lit buyers at independent bookstores across the country
  • National public radio campaign
  • Digital marketing and social media campaign with strong emphasis on cultivating Instragram book bloggers
  • Promotion from paleontology influencers (Jack Horner, Paul Sereno, Mary Higby Schweitzer, Stephen L. Brusatte) and celebrity scientists at large (Neil deGrasse Tyson)

• Sci-fi, fantasy, and young adult book club outreach with emphasis on inclusion in high profile book subscription boxes
  • National book tour, including attendance at science fiction and fantasy conventions
  • Targeted outreach to science fiction, fantasy, and young adult entertainment websites and blogs
  • Goodreads giveaways and $5,000 ad spend
  • National media coverage

• Available Editions

ISBN 9781942645665

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This book kept me captivated the entire time. If you enjoy reading science-fiction or adventure, watching Jurassic Park, or love dinosaurs/paleontology, you will really enjoy this book. I don't want to give too much away, but I did appreciate the touch of the fantastical in this novel for what the "Montana Monster" turned out to be. This story played out in my mind along the same lines of Dan Brown's novel, the "Da Vinci Code", or like the movie "National Treasure"; by this, I mean a group of four paleontologists are chasing down clues and trying to solve the puzzles that have been given to them, all the while they are being chased by a secret society that is dead set on keeping this secret buried-- for all eternity. Without giving too much away, I will say that I personally felt it was predictable about who was responsible for leaking the information; however, I was wrong about how they went about doing it. With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre/storyline. If you are an active/practicing paleontologist, I am sure you will find flaws in the storyline, but I did appreciate that the author did seem to put forth an effort into learning about fossils, rocks, and dinosaur species.

Is the writing perfect in this novel, no. One thing that I found confusing was that the novel is written in the first person; however, the story is told from various people's point of view. This isn't a bad thing, but the way it is done leaves the reader to sleuth through the first page or two to figure out who is actually telling the story. I think this could be remedied by mentioning the person in the chapter title.

(review will also posted on IG @slowerlowerliving and Goodreads soon)

This book really spoke to the inner child, as when I was younger I always wanted to be a archeologist. This was a really well done book, it was a great story and I loved that the author, Erin S. Evan, is a paleontologist and wrote this for her kids.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters in this story and enjoyed the capture of different time periods.

"Over the years I’ve heard that you are a learned man with a keen interest in natural objects. Particularly those oddities that cannot be explained by current scientific understanding, but that you wish to rectify. Because of this, I have a great desire to write to you about my family history. Please see the enclosed sketches by my ancestor, Cornelius Meyer,’” Molly paused and pointed to the drawings in my hand."

(Thank you NetGalley for giving me the chance to review this novel)

To say I absolutely loved this book is an understatement. From just the synopsis I was intrigued. Every moment of this book was so thoughtout, so many details and tidbits of history perfectly blended in. I read this book over 2 days, had I not needed to be at work, it would have been less time. I'm so excited for book 2. Like most people I love dinosaurs after seeing Jurassic Park and all its sequels but the details of previous time when different fossils were from it sparked a desire to learn more. I have so many of the references books listed in the back if the book now on my to-read list. Erin Evan will now forever be on my authors to follow. 10/10 would recommend every single time

This was such a fun, informative adventure novel that would be a great read for people of all ages. This would make a fantastic family read.

I did read an arc of this novel. I hope that for publishing, the name of whose POV the chapter is in will be added to the chapter title as it does get a little confusing.

I loved this book: the characters, the excitement, the adventure, the factual information about dinosaurs and paleontology, the fun. This book was so fun to read! I can’t wait to read the next novel in this series! (But this can definitely be read as a stand alone story.)

Thanks to NetGalley and Inkshares for this digital arc in exchange for my honest review, which is not affiliated with any brand.

Reviewed an advance copy of The Bone Wars through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

Enjoyed this fun YA novel that follows the exploits of 16 year old Molly as she interns at a dinosaur dig over the summer. Pirates, ancient societies and a mystery involving scientific legends from Victorian England challenge Molly and friends.

Like a Michael Crichton novel for teens, this book entertains while teaching the reader a thing or two about the science of fossils. 5 stars for his fun, quick read.

My thanks to Ms. Evan and NetGalley for the opportunity to review The Bone Wars.