After the World

Pub Date 08 May 2018 | Archive Date 29 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #AftertheWorld #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

After the war is lost, all that remains is to survive. And when you know what you’ve done, you can’t hope for anything more.

Bereft in a hostile world, an orc general struggles to come to terms with his role in the destruction of his people. Running and hiding from the humans and elves that hunt him down, he searches for other orc survivors.

When two human wizards finally pin him down in an abandoned orcish mountain fortress, he must use his wits and cunning to prevail, redeeming himself and the magic of his people.

Bereft in a hostile world, an orc general struggles to come to terms with...

ISBN 9781946050106

Not often you get anything told in the first-person perspective by an Orc, so this had to be a bit special, and it is. A character-driven tale of survival through the eyes of an embittered fallen and broken creature. The character is brilliantly portrayed, showing all the strengths, weaknesses, and characteristics you would usually associate with human beings. All the settings are described with a vivid vibrancy that are so picturesque you can imagine yourself being there. Even the inner caves are described with great clarity. You could probably, if you wish, draw yourself a map. Although this has some bloody fight situations, it is not a gorefest, neither is it full of colourful language. After the World is an intelligent and inventive story. It makes a pleasant change to read a narrative from the "other sides" point of view. And you can imagine an Orc from any fantasy book you care to mention being in this predicament. I really rate this book highly, one of the best fantasy books I have read in a while.

This isn't usually the type of genre that I read but I judged a book by it's cover this time around and I'm glad that I did! After the World is a fabulous book and Brophy paints pictures with words! I felt like I was a character in the novel and I've recommended After the World to many of my friends! So amazing!