Open

An Uncensored Memoir of Love, Liberation, and Non-Monogamy

Pub Date 25 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 31 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Open #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

An unprecedented exploration of non-monogamy, from an award-winning journalist chronicling her first open relationship with unflinching candor as she explores this fast-growing movement

“Krantz invites us into her deepest privacy as she explores her body and soul, fears and ecstasies, desires and disappointments.”—Dr. Christopher Ryan, New York Times bestselling author of Sex at Dawn

When Rachel Krantz met and fell for Adam, he told her that he was looking for a committed partnership—just one that did not include exclusivity. Intrigued and more than a little nervous, Rachel decided to see whether their love could coexist with the freedom to date other people. Could they strike an exquisite balance between intimacy and independence, and find a way to feel passion for one another once the honeymoon phase ended?

For Open, her extraordinary debut memoir, Rachel interviewed scientists, psychologists, and people living and loving outside the mainstream as she searched to understand what non-monogamy would do to her heart, her mind, and her life. From exploring Brooklyn sex parties to the wider swinger and polyamory communities, Rachel and Adam attempt to write a new plot for their love story. But they also run up against miscommunications, ancient power dynamics, and seeming betrayals that threaten their love. In these pages, Rachel casts new light on the unique ways coercion and gaslighting manifest in open relationships, and finds herself wondering what liberation really looks like.

With an unflinching eye and page-turning storytelling, Open is groundbreaking in both its documentarian approach and its explicit subject matter. From debilitating anxiety spirals to heart-opening connections with the men and women she dates, Rachel puts her whole self on the line as she attempts to redefine what a relationship is—or could be.

“Krantz...

A propulsive and fascinating look at sex, desire, and intimacy, OPEN investigates what we hope for from our romantic partners and how eschewing conventions might help us attain those things—and the pitfalls we might face if we choose a less traditional path. Krantz writes with insight and humor about her personal introduction to non-monogamy, using reportage to broaden the scope to others’ experiences with trying to balance sexual and romantic freedom and commitment. A page-turner that explores the urgent question of what it means to try to understand and then to express our desires, OPEN was a true pleasure to read.

Publication date: January 25, 2022 Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own. An unprecedented exploration of non-monogamy, from an award-winning journalist chronicling her first open relationship with unflinching candour as she explores this fast-growing movement. Can we have both freedom and love? Comfort and lust? Is a relationship ever equal? And is the pleasure worth the pain? This is going to be A VERY POLARIZING BOOK. I am kinky (I am not going to tell you exactly HOW I am kinky...) but my theory is that WHATEVER YOU DO IN YOUR BEDROOM IS YOU OWN DAMN BUSINESS!!! Her ideas and story (and opinions) are written in an engaging manner that will make one open to thinking and conversations that they may want to say but were afraid to. I am going to say it....give this book to someone you love for Valentine's Day and open a conversation...you never know what your partner may say. I will HIGHLY recommend this book to patrons, books clubs and on a certain website that I will not name! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🍆 🌮 🍆 🌮 🍆 (figure that out in your dirty mind...lol!) p.s. I HATE the cover. It is too innocuous and too much like other books that are remniscent of smeared paint. and all these similarly covered books https://www.printmag.com/book-covers/the-book-cover-behold-the-book-blob/

I’m not sure what I expected going into Rachel Krantz’ memoir. I suppose I expected the story of a poly relationship that worked, almost like a sales pitch for a no monogamous lifestyle. Instead what I got was a complex exploration of Krantz’ first non monogamous partnership interwoven with a sociological and psychological exploration of her self and her lifestyle. It was fantastic. Four and a half stars.

This book sits in a category all by itself. It's not a how-to or a purely journalistic observation about people in the non-monogamous lifestyle. The author writes about her own deeply personal and brutally honest experience about jumping into an open relationship. She expresses her fears and insecurities, fantasies and turn-ons, and provides an up-close look into the world of ethical non-monogamy and all of the different forms it can take. The stories she tells are graphic and vulnerable. She doesn't try to depict her own experience as one that represents the whole but remains relatable to many who have had similar encounters. Rather than paint non-monogamy in a rosy light, she exposes many of its pitfalls. She writes about the manipulation, gaslighting, and abuse that can take place. Despite these challenges, she does not write off non-monogamy and is able to see it from an objective stance. It can be done in a respectful and mutually beneficial way or it can be used as a weapon in an unhealthy relationship.

Right off the bat I was impressed with this book because I was expecting a memoir type read and while that is what I was given it was written in many different journal entries instead of one large novel. I think that this was the best way to do it because it really gives the reader a strong connection to the author on what could be a difficult subject to relate to.. This book is all about our author as she explores the boundaries of her relationships and exploring the new world of a truly open relationship. This story was all about how she got into that life style and the stories and personal experiences that went along with it. This was a fascinating read and I'm so glad that I got the chance to read it. It wasn't to graphic but it isn't for the faint of heart. One of the things I liked about this book was our main character goes into the situation a little hesitant like I think anyone would but she comes to really see things differently and it is her decision, she isn't pressured or anything like that. Very compelling read and I'm so glad that I got the chance to check it out, however with some graphic parts this book won't be for everyone so take what you read with a grain of salt. This book talks about the good things that she dealt with along with some of the unpleasant things that came along with being in an open relationship, I really liked how she talked about both because it is more realistic. Very great read and I'm so glad that I was given the opportunity to read it.