A Far Wilder Magic

Pub Date 08 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 22 Mar 2022
St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books

"An utterly transportive read, unfolding into a world of crumbling manors and ancient forests. Allison Saft crafts a deliberate, intricate romance that will have you as unmoored as the characters." - Chloe Gong, New York Times bestselling author of These Violent Delights

A romantic YA fantasy perfect for fans of Erin A. Craig and Margaret Rogerson, about two people who find themselves competing for glory - and each other's hearts – in a magical fox hunt.

When Margaret Welty spots the legendary hala, the last living mythical creature, she knows the Halfmoon Hunt will soon follow. Whoever is able to kill the hala will earn fame and riches, and unlock an ancient magical secret. If Margaret wins the hunt, it may finally bring her mother home. While Margaret is the best sharpshooter in town, only teams of two can register, and she needs an alchemist.

Weston Winters isn’t an alchemist--yet. Fired from every apprenticeship he's landed, his last chance hinges on Master Welty taking him in. But when Wes arrives at Welty Manor, he finds only Margaret and her bloodhound Trouble. Margaret begrudgingly allows him to stay, but on one condition: he must join the hunt with her.

Although they make an unlikely team, Wes is in awe of the girl who has endured alone on the outskirts of a town that doesn’t want her, in this creaking house of ghosts and sorrow. And even though Wes disrupts every aspect of her life, Margaret is drawn to him. He, too, knows what it's like to be an outsider. As the hunt looms closer and tensions rise, Margaret and Wes uncover dark magic that could be the key to winning the hunt - if they survive that long.

In A Far Wilder Magic, Allison Saft has written an achingly tender love story set against a deadly hunt in an atmospheric, rich fantasy world that will sweep you away.

"Innovative, romantic, and intoxicating. A Far Wilder Magic is a diamond of the YA fantasy genre, with a fresh and artfully layered world and extraordinary characters to match." - Amanda Foody, author of Ace of Shades

This book really sets your heart pounding with its sweet romance. I loved the main characters and there journey together. The book was entertaining and heart stopping. Overall great book!

I was completely drawn in from the cover, and was won over by the plot. Margaret and Wes were such solid characters. It was well written and the story flowed so perfectly. Each character added more depth to the story. Nothing felt out of place, and it was beautifully written.

This book had a refreshing take on mixing up genres and the synopsis completely had me sold! The characters of Margaret and Wes were so well done that they truly felt like real people. I adored their relationship. It was so beautifully written and the descriptive language in the book was so well done. Overall a fantastic read. I will definitely be reading anything that Allison Saft writes in the future. ARC kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

“He grins at her. ‘It’s you and me against the world, Margaret.’ ” A legendary, mystical creature is hunted each year in the historic Halfmoon Hunt. This tradition combines hunting skills and alchemy. Outcasts Margaret and Wes enter the competition together - each with their own desire to prove themselves. The intricate world of Wickdon is a constant tension of a complex class system, religious differences, and long-held beliefs on science + magic. Woven throughout is a slow-burn love story that is so sweet and tender. Much of the story will have your heart pounding and rooting for these two unlikely heroes. Read if you like - Strong heroine - Dual POVs - Spooky woods - Slow-burn YA love - Alchemy - Magic - Character growth - Underdogs “Like this, she looks more wolf than girl - like some magic far wilder than alchemy runs through her.”

YOU MUST READ THIS! First of all, the premise is original and intriguing, and the author releases just enough information at just the right intervals to keep my hooked the entire way through. This is especially impressive when the intricate dynamic between the two main characters is taken into account--and we get both of their POVs, so their distinct voices add greatly to the reader's insight. Then you add magic. And a hunt. And high stakes. And an enemies-to-something-else arc (no spoilers!). And internal character development beyond what is usually seen in the genre. READ IT. Thank you to Netgally for providing a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a work of art. Allison writes the most beautiful prose. It's like a flannel blanket on an icy night--a comfort and everything you want as you watch the snowflakes swirl. The emotion in this story was so intense, but also soft and gentle. It was both breathtaking and soothing. Margaret's life is a tale of heartache and loss and Weston, sweet Weston, is as complicated as he is charming. I loved the way myth and alchemy and religion were interwoven seamlessly in a sleepy sea-side town with a mysterious forest. The world of A Far Wilder Magic is a place I could get lost in, happily.

This was so so perfect. I loved every second of this. It was just so whimsical and perfectly written I loved it so much. First of all, this is one of my most anticipated reads of 2022 and to be able to read it was an honour. This was absolutely magical and Margaret and Wes were stunning characters that I couldn’t get enough of I had so much fun in every aspect of this story and loved it, in fact devoured it. I will surely be on the watch out for anymore books written by this author in the future and just cannot wait! 5 out of 5 stars!

I'm so in love with Allison Saft's fantasy world building. She's so good at grounding the fantastical with realistic details and magical systems that are very close friends with science. This 1920s inspired fantasy has the most wonderful woodsy, autumnal vibes. The forced proximity turned sexual tension turned romance made it nearly impossible to put down. The magical fox hunt is such a unique premise, especially when it came to the different religions represented in the story and how they all relate to the Hala. I loved every minute of reading this.

Everything about this story is just beautiful, from the cover to cover, it is beautiful. I am probably never going to recover from this one. I was deeply invested into the characters and couldn’t wait to see their relationship grow, it was definitely worth waiting for.

The cover reveal of A Far Wilder Magic stopped my scrolling and I am SO GLAD it did. This book gave me serious gothic fantasy vibes as Saft created a rich and complex world filled with curmudgeons, outsiders, alchemy, and a dog named Trouble. The evolution of Wes and Margaret's partnership felt more natural than many YA fantasy/romances I usually come across and I found myself significantly more emotionally invested in them than I should probably admit. Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press, Wednesday Books for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I loved Down Comes the Night, so you can only imagine my excitement when I got approved to read this ARC. Let me tell you - this book did not disappoint. I'm not sure I can gather the words to describe it, but here's the gist of my thoughts: holy cow, this book is fantastic. The plot draws parallels to real issues while maintaining a whimsical yet haunting atmosphere. The worldbuilding is easy to understand and unique in it's own way, which is something I also noticed in Down Comes the Night. The characters are so much fun to read about, mostly because the way their relationship progresses is incredible. All in all, this is a fantastic read. Check it out! Thank you to Netgalley and Allison Saft for providing me with an E-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Allison Saft's sophomore novel is even more magical than her first. A FAR WILDER MAGIC pulls the reader in from very beginning with promises of mythic creatures, dangerous alchemy, and a whimsical coastal town set in a fantasy 1920s. However, it is Maggie and Wes in their motives, desires, and flaws that will keep the reader ensnared. In the novel, love is just not something that can be declared once and let be, but something that must be earned continually through genuine care and understanding. A FAR WILDER MAGIC is perfect for fans of Maggie Stiefvater or Margaret Rogerson. Five stars. Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an eARC.

This may very well be the best book I have read this year, thus far. This was beautiful and magical and wonderful in all the ways that count. I found the beginning to be rather slow, but, over time, it sunk its hooks into me and I was absolutely captivated. What I adored most about this book was the relationship between Margaret and Wes. Their slow burn romance was done masterfully (to the extent that at some points I wanted to tear my hair out). Beyond the romance, there is beautiful world building, a memorable cast of characters, and a brilliant story featuring magic, family, and adventure. I would definitely recommend this!! Thanks to Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a story that drips with romance and magic, myth and legend... and everything in-between. This is a great book to dive into and devour in one sitting by the warm fire. Thank you for the e-arc!