Skywatcher

Pub Date 05 Oct 2021 | Archive Date Not set
Publisher Spotlight, Tilbury House Publishers

Talking about this book? Use #Skywatcher #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This is a story about love and sacrifice: Tamen's mom, a nightshift nurse, finds a way to take him camping. For one magical night on the shore of a wilderness pond, the Milky Way in all its glory belongs to them.

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This is SO wonderful! Not only is the story of a young boy stargazing with his mother achingly sweet, but there is so much information in the book--constellations, skywatching tips, a list of dark sky preserves in the US and Canada, ideas to help fight light pollution, etc. This will be a great read-aloud for my pre-K class, especially as we head into quiet time, but will also be a great independent read for elementary kids too. The illustrations are soft, dreamy, and detailed. I LOVE that the superhero that inspires the young boy is female, AND that that isn't a plot point. I can't wait to get this one in my classroom! Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

Sweet picture book about a boy who has never seen the stars, because he lives in the city. So, his mother packs him up to go out into the wilderness, where the city lights are not strong, and he finally sees the milky way. Then he has to go back home, and just imagine what the starts look like. But there is hope. The book concludes with talking about how we can make less light pollution, and how there are parts of the country that are working to make this so, as well as national parks in the US and Canada are specifically set up to have no visible light pollution. Nice way to get the point across, and lovely illustrations of the stars, as well as the milky way. <em> Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.<//em>