Last Dance on the Starlight Pier

A Novel

Pub Date 12 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 26 Apr 2022

Set during the Great Depression, Sarah Bird's Last Dance on the Starlight Pier is a novel about one woman—and a nation—struggling to be reborn from the ashes.

July 3. 1932. Shivering and in shock, Evie Grace Devlin watches the Starlite Palace burn into the sea and wonders how she became a person who would cause a man to kill himself. She’d come to Galveston to escape a dark past in vaudeville and become a good person, a nurse. When that dream is cruelly thwarted, Evie is swept into the alien world of dance marathons. All that she has been denied—a family, a purpose, even love—waits for her there in the place she dreads most: the spotlight.

Last Dance on the Starlight Pier is a sweeping novel that brings to spectacular life the enthralling worlds of both dance marathons and the family-run empire of vice that was Galveston in the Thirties. Unforgettable characters tell a story that is still deeply resonant today as America learns what Evie learns, that there truly isn’t anything this country can’t do when we do it together. That indomitable spirit powers a story that is a testament to the deep well of resilience in us all that allows us to not only survive the hardest of hard times, but to find joy, friends, and even family, in them.

July 3. 1932. Shivering and in shock...

Thank you for giving me an ARC to review. I haven’t read much about the Great Depression or Prohibition. I enjoyed reading this book because of the plot. There was many story lines going on to keep my interest. It drew me in from the first chapter. There was a constant need to find out what happened after the teaser in the first chapter. This book was tight up my alley because it is historical fiction. Thank you again for allowing me to review this book.

Sarah Bird's Last Dance on the Starlight Pier takes us back to the time of the Great Depression. Evie Grace is a character of the time: determined, resilient, and resourceful. She grew up on the vaudeville circuit as it was fading, under the care of her narcissist mother and a string of "uncles'. We follow her as she gets a nursing school scholarship, loses the opportunity to graduate due to maternal sabotage, and enters the unique world of marathon dancing. This book will keep you enthralled from start to finish.