The Second Season

Narrated by Nicol Zanzarella
Pub Date 27 Jul 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheSecondSeasonBook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Ruth Devon starred for Georgetown Basketball back in college—until she injured her knee, married her coach, and found a new career calling games on the radio. Twenty years later, Ruth and her now-ex-husband, Lester, are two of the most famous faces in sports media. When Lester decides to retire from the announcers’ booth, Ruth goes after his job. If she gets it, she will be the first woman to call NBA games on national television.

For now, Ruth is reporting from the sideline of the NBA finals, immersed in the high-pressure spectacle of the post-season. But in a deserted locker room at halftime, Ruth makes a discovery that shatters her vision of her future. Instantly, she is torn between the two things she has always wanted most: the game and motherhood.

With warmth and incisive observation, Adrian brings to life the obsessions, emotions, and drama of fandom. The Second Season asks why, how, and whom we watch, while offering a rich and complicated account of motherhood, marriage, and ambition. Adrian’s character study of Ruth Devon illuminates a beautiful basketball mind—and the struggle of a woman who claims authority in a male-dominated world.

A Note From the Publisher

Emily Adrian is the author of several novels including Everything Here Is under Control. Originally from Portland, Oregon, Emily currently lives in New Haven, Connecticut with her husband, her son, and her dog named Hank.

Advance Praise

“To borrow a sports idiom, Emily Adrian really stuffs the stat sheet here. She writes as engagingly and insightfully about basketball and broadcasting as she does about work, love, friendship, ambition, motherhood, aging, and the power and frailty of the body. Smart, tough, passionate Ruth Devon is a winning protagonist, and her poignant story is both suspenseful and meditative. The Second Season is a terrific sports novel, yes, but it’s also just a terrific novel.”

-Chris Bachelder, author of The Throwback Special

“Sometimes it is scary reading Emily Adrian because she is honest in a way that hurts. She is brave and she is brutal. You don’t have to love basketball or care about motherhood to love this book, but this book will make you fall in love with both. I’m a goner; I will read anything she writes.”

-Rufi Thorpe, author of The Knockout Queen

“Sport and bodies and ambition, motherhood and womanhood and obsession: Emily Adrian’s The Second Season masterfully gets you inside the particular thrill of sport whether it was ever capable of thrilling you before, and, deftly and warmly, pulls off the extraordinary feat of forcing you to root for a complicated, unapologetically ambitious fortysomething woman who also happens to be a mom. I loved this novel for its alacrity and its humanity and its humor, its attention to the body, and its willingness to let its characters pursue impossible-seeming dreams.”

-Lynn Steger Strong, author of Want

“The spare, bold latest from Adrian follows a sportswriter as she reckons with middle age…Even the sports-averse will be caught up in the drama.”

-Publishers Weekly

“Those who have been waiting for a sports book with heart will devour the novel. The fresh story is enhanced by Adrian’s smooth, absorbing writing. A perfect pick for book clubs.”

-Booklist

“Four years ago, in an essay published right here at The Millions, I asked why there hasn’t been a Great American Basketball Novel yet. Well, there is now: The Second Season…Adrian writes with a knowledge and passion for the game, but fandom is not a prerequisite for falling in love with this brilliant, warm, and funny book.”

-The Millions

Marketing Plan

• National and regional reviews, features, and interviews

• Social media campaign

• Literary, sports, and women's media buzz mailing

• Book club marketing

• Print and digital advertising

• Bookseller and library trade show marketing

• Author website: www.EmilyAdrianBooks.com

• Print and digital advertising

•...

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
DURATION 7 Hours, 30 Minutes

Ruth Devon was an basketball-player. Then she got injured and her player's career was over. She married her college coach and took a successful career as a basketball commentator and sideline reporter for the NBA. After 20 years she is divorced, with a doughter who is 21 years old and involved with a younger man. During the NBA Finals Ruth discover something and it force Ruth to decide what she wants in future. She is a woman working in a male profession. I was really touched at the end. I loved the story course of my love for sports competitions. I dreamed about the career like that and I saw in first person how it would have been my life if I could took her steps, Special thanks for an quick approval for this audiobook to Netgalley.com and Blackstone Publising.