Fear of Barbarians

Pub Date 06 Aug 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #FearofBarbarians #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Gavdos: a remote island south of Crete, the southernmost point of Europe, surrounded by an endless expanse of sea.

To Oksana, who has come from Ukraine with her friends to recover from illness in the aftermath of Chernobyl, it seems like a dream to live in a blue-and-white house with a lemon tree.

To Penelope, a Greek woman who was married off to an unsuitable man by nuns from the convent where she spent her teenage years, it is a kind of prison.

Their two narratives, interwoven with other stories – of the other women of the sparse community, of their own past lives and loves – are skilfully combined with themes of otherness and the notions of ‘foreign’ and ‘barbaric’ in this poetic and timely short novel by acclaimed Macedonian writer Petar Andonovski, winner of the European Union Prize for Literature.

Advance Praise

Winner of the European Union Prize for Literature

Winner of the European Union Prize for Literature

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781913640194
PRICE £9.00 (GBP)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

An enjoyable quivk read that I wish was longer as I didn't want it to end, It is well written with good characetrs and an intriguing plot line.

I really enjoyed this book and it gave me a well needed lift to my day. The insight and humour spoke volumes about the experiences and challenges that we were guided through as the audience. I am very glad I read this book and would highly recommend..

This book is a nice simple exploration of what it means to be an outsider - whether in a different country, town or your own community. It addresses some very current issues surrounding immigration , alienation, and racism, culminating in a shocking act that reveals how far these problems can reach if they are not addressed. The novel offers some hope to the reader however overall I think this is more a cautionary tale of the crossroads at which Europe currently stands.