In a New York Minute

Pub Date 15 Mar 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #InaNewYorkMinute #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Franny Doyle is having the worst day. She’s been laid off from her (admittedly mediocre) job, the subway doors ripped her favorite silk dress to ruins, and now she’s flashed her unmentionables to half of lower Manhattan. On the plus side, a dashing stranger came to her rescue with his (Gucci!) suit jacket. On the not-so-plus side, he can’t get away from her fast enough.

Worse yet? Someone posted their (entirely not) meet-cute online. Suddenly Franny and her knight-in-couture, Hayes Montgomery III, are the newest social media sensation, and all of New York is shipping #SubwayQTs.

Only Franny and Hayes couldn’t be a more disastrous match. She’s fanciful, talkative, and creative. He’s serious, shy, and all about numbers. Luckily, in a city of eight million people, they never have to meet again. Yet somehow, Hayes and Franny keep running into each other—and much to their surprise, they enjoy each other’s company. A lot. But when Franny’s whole world is turned upside down (again!), can she find the courage to trust in herself and finally have the life—and love—she’s always wanted?

A Note From the Publisher

For media inquiries, please reach out to Estelle Hallick: estelle.hallick@hbgusa.com.

Advance Praise

"A Nora Ephron romp for the modern ages…delivers an absorbing, heart-achingly good HEA." —Christina Lauren, New York Times bestselling author

“Spins a catastrophic meet-cute into a richly realized romance that's surrounded by even more love stories—between friends, between families, and between New Yorkers and their city. You'll devour it.”

—Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan, USA Today bestselling authors of The Royal We and The Heir Affair

“A love story to friendship, discovering what—and who—makes you feel truly yourself, and New York City. I flew through this book and enjoyed every moment!”

—Jasmine Guillory, New York Times bestselling author of While We Were Dating

“A sparkling delight about found and chosen family, being brave even in the tiny moments, and the rewards we can reap when we put our authentic selves out there. What a sweet, hilarious treat.”

—Christina Lauren, New York Times bestselling author

“A frolicky, playful rom-com about finding Mr. Right when everything else goes wrong.”

—Abby Jimenez, New York Times bestselling author of Life’s Too Short

“A perfect New York romance, as sweet, steamy, and surprising as the city itself.”

—Abbi Waxman, USA Today bestselling author of The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

“If you’re looking for the perfect ‘meet cute,’ look no further. Adorable banter and countless laugh-out-loud moments makes this charming romance a true delight.”

—Farrah Rochon, USA Today bestselling author of The Dating Playbook

“Spins a catastrophic meet-cute into a richly realized...

In a New York Minute by Kate Spencer is a wonderful contemporary romance that is sweet, funny, witty, and oh so entertaining. I really enjoyed this romantic comedy. It was light, fun, energetic, and addictive. I loved the dialogue, banter, the laugh out loud moments, and just the story line itself. Franny and Hayes are perfect for one another (only they can’t realize that just quite yet). I loved each character separately and was able to see who they truly were from their own backstories. Both are in the beyond amazing location of NYC and that backdrop adds to the fantastic narrative. Both are trying to find their place in life and in this big city, both are trying to find themselves. Through their relationship, we can see each sorting things out, and finding happiness with one another, as well as within themselves. There was chemistry, laughter, romance, wit, and a gorgeous backdrop of the infamous city that never sleeps….a reader cannot go wrong with any of these pluses…and I cannot recommend this one enough. A real gem. 5/5 stars Thank you NG and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication.

this book was so cute!!! there were parts I genuinely laughed out loud - I loved it, read the whole thing in less than 24 hours!

Franny thought her day couldn't get any worse than when she gets the news that she is getting laid off. Well, she was wrong, because it just got worse on the train ride home from the office. In the midst of her crisis on a train, a handsome stranger comes to her rescue and she leaves not knowing his name or how to get in touch with him. But as fate would have it, the people of New York will bring the two together, whether they like it or not. This was a very cute rom-com and I was hooked into the story from the very beginning. The meet-cute between Franny and Hayes is awkward, funny, and the stuff that rom-coms are made of. It had me smirking from the silliness of it. I was very impressed by this debut fiction novel by Kate Spencer! Her writing is fun, humorous, and makes you get lost in the story and in the setting. Franny and Hayes are both so awkward but cute! It's refreshing to have two main characters that aren't polished and who don't know the right thing to say. Sometimes I feel like romance novels are filled with too many perfect people with their perfect bodies and perfect smooth talk. Don't get me wrong, I like that too! But this book has two main characters that I felt like I could relate to. They felt like real people who make mistakes and second guess everything, just like me. I really enjoyed the scenes with Franny's two best friends: Cleo and Lola. They are crazy, wild, and hilarious. The close relationship they had and how they dropped everything to be there for one another was heartwarming. Pick up this book if you're looking for a cute and funny rom-com! Steam level: 🔥🔥

Such a fun and lighthearted read. Franny and Hayes meet during a mishap on the subway and life, as you know it, brings them back together. Their love story is sweet and warm and real. I have never been to New York, but this book made me want to go even more than before! Heads up for a somewhat-intense moment of intimacy. Hayes and Franny are a lovable and hilarious couple -- their banter and text conversations are so fun to read and give you firsthand the butterflies that come with a new flirtationship. I also loved Franny's relationships with her friends and the mini sub-plot of her extended family as well. Absolutely loved this book -- Kate, please write more soon!! Can't wait (: Many thanks to Kate Spencer, Forever (Grand Central Publishing). and NetGalley for this ARC!

I loved all the details in this book. You really felt like you were right there in NY with the characters. It was such a sweet and light hearted story. Theres just love in all aspects which is a breath of fresh air and so appreciated in a book.

When I first saw "In a New York Minute" I figured it would be a cute romcom but it was so much more. The lead character, Franny, is laid off from her job (when she was expecting a promotion). She thought her day couldn't possibly get worse until a wardrobe malfunction on the subway involving a cute man goes viral. This was such a delightfully sweet story with amazing characters. Hayes and Franny were awkward, funny, and completely relatable. It was a total slow burn. I loved that they would both get tongue tied and flustered around each other. Their witty banter back and forth had me laughing out loud at times. This book was a great example of how to write a friend group with interesting dimensional characters even though they were supporting characters. Hayes and his best friend, Eleanor, exhibited a comfortable professional/personal dynamic. Franny's best friends were unabashedly supportive yet honest. Another noteworthy character in the story ended up being New York City itself. Spencer was able to show the charm of the city with her beautiful storytelling. Overall, I adored this book; devouring it in one sitting. I would rate it 4.5 stars rounded to 5. I can see myself reading this again as an endearing comfort read. Thank you to NetGalley, Kate Spencer, and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for my honest opinions.

I absolutely LOVED this book! Most times, I find it takes a few chapters before I’m really invested in characters or the plot. This book, however, had me laughing out loud (and almost in tears from laughing) within a mere chapter of the book! Our main character, Franny, is such a breathe of fresh air. She’s relatable, funny, and you just can’t help but cheer her on throughout her journey. Her friends are equally as enjoyable and it’s so refreshing to read a story where characters can be different in all kinds of ways yet still really be there for eachother and have each others best interests at heart. Everyone could only wish they had friends like Franny’s. Hayes is another main character that you go on a journey with wondering, just like Franny does, if you really can like this guy or not! This is one of those rare books that keeps you interested, laughing, rooting for ALL the characters, and makes you want to come back and re-read it time and again…..like a good ‘ol favorite!

I've been to NYC many times and In A New York Minute by Kate Spencer made me want to go be a tourist all over again in the big apple. I felt this book was a rom-com movie waiting to happen. It was a You've Got Mail meets When Harry Met Sally story. The meet-cute is always a hit in my opinion and this book has it! This is a book where the reader gets invested. Even when I finished the book I wanted to know more about these characters. I have a feeling this is going to be a huge hit!

In A New York Minute manages to be both a perfect rom com, complete with a wholly original "meet-cute", but also a love letter to New York City. This book made me remember why I fell in love with New York City in the first place. From the main characters meeting on a packed subway car, to their many bagel stops, to the tiny cafes in the East Village, and their walk across the Brooklyn bridge - New York City almost becomes a third character in their love story. The characters are so well crafted and likable, and the story such a compelling read, I may have been late for work (twice) because I couldn't put it down!

Okay, so this book was SO stinking cute. First off, thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for this honest review! I loved, loved, loved this book. I will say, at first, I wasn't quite digging the male lead, Hayes. He seemed so cold and standoffish, and somewhat lacking in the sense of humor department, which for me, are all big no-nos- not just in a fictional male character, but just in general. (When a woman is being affable and funny, you do not just stare at her in stony silence or simply ignore her. That is not okay!!) But, turns out, that wound up being exactly what I love most about this book. From beginning to end, the reader is able to watch Franny and Hayes relationship grow in such a lovely, organic way- from their first, awkward and memorable meet-cute, to spending time as friends and getting to know each other, and ultimately (spoiler alert) getting together. From a reader's perspective, I can understand the frustration in reading this (their relationship is truly the slowwwwwest of burns) but it was refreshing to watch two bumbling, awkward and adorkable characters fluster their way into a romantic relationship. It just seemed so natural and relatable, and so gosh darn cute. . I also love that this book served as the perfect love letter to New York City. Just the writing overall, from the NYC setting to the characters' perspectives and dialogue, is so gorgeously detailed, and gave me warm. fuzzy feelings all over. The banter between the two leads is adorable, and the supporting cast of friends are such a delight. I can't believe this is Kate Spencer's first fiction book! I sincerely hope that she will follow up this gem of a novel with plenty more stories, and soon! (I mean... No pressure or anything.) I will definitely be recommending this book to all my reader friends.

The most adorable love story between two awkward people who meet on accident seemingly over and over again in New York City. Franny and Hayes are both awkward in their own way and the combination makes for some hilarious laugh out loud moments. It's easy to relate to them because their struggles and insecurities are just so normal and human. I loved the healthy relationships they had with their friends and how each of those characters contributes to the story. While there were a few steamy moments, this one is mostly closed-door/fade to black. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is that it was almost too slow burn for me. While I really loved all the side characters, I wanted more scenes with just Franny and Hayes. The ending felt a little rushed after all the build up. Overall, this book was just so fun and made me laugh out loud multiple times! I will definitely be adding Kate Spencer to my must-read authors. In a New York Minute releases March 15, 2022 and is available for preorder now! Thank you @netgalley and @readforeverpub for the advanced readers copy in exchange for my honest feedback! https://www.instagram.com/p/CV9D51wMb4h/?utm_medium=copy_link

Who new all I needed was a rom-com book based in New York to get me up and reading again! Franny and Haynes were adorable! This book was the cutest I highly recommend. I will totally be on the look out for more books by Kate Spencer. I want to thank NetGalley for an ARC of In a New York Minute by Kate Spencer.

New York City setting? Chance encounters? Love interest with major Mr. Darcy vibes? This book has it all. Aspiring interior designer, Franny Doyle, is having a horrible day. She is let off from her job, her expensive new dress tore in the subway door, and she cried all over the hot stranger in the subway who gave her his jacket, To make matters worse, the whole subway ordeal was posted online and went viral. However, the people are captivated by the interaction between her and the stranger and start shipping them. Suddenly, she is meeting the stranger, also known as Hayes Montgomery III, on television. During the meeting, Hayes is rude and serious and would obviously a disastrous match for Franny, who is talkative and artsy. But the two can not stop running into each other and begin to see maybe their differences are not such a bad thing. I really loved this book and thought it was the perfect book to get me out of my reading slump, with more relatable adult characters and a cute fade-to black romance. I really enjoyed the gradual change from dislike to friendship to romance. I loved all of the interesting side characters, which were really well developed and very diverse. I also really loved the subplot about Franny's family. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a cute romance.

Now that’s what we call a romantic comedy, folks! I know I’m not alone in lamenting the use of “rom-com” to describe any and every book that is simply contemporary romance. So, it’s a pleasure to read a book that actually reminds you of classic rom-com movies. Kate Spencer’s debut is a charmer and I have no doubt it’s going to be a hit with romance readers. In A New York Minute opens up with Franny not only losing her job but also ripping the back of her dress in the subway – the way I SCREAMED in embarrassment at this!! Luckily for Franny, a handsome stranger comes to her rescue and gives her his suit jacket. Talk about a meet-cute, eh? Their whole interaction is filmed and posted to social media where it goes viral. When they meet again, it’s on a talk show to discuss their newfound fame and their ship status. Things don’t quite go as planned when Hayes ends up making an accidentally rude comment. The two leave thinking they’ll never see again each other but as fate has something different in store for them. *insert GIF of me sighing in sappy feels* Both Franny and Hayes are lovely characters. I truly enjoyed both of their personalities and thought they fit really well together. Franny is a hoot. She’s got a bubbly persona and knew how to bring sunshine into any room with her outgoing nature. She could be a tad dramatic at times, but I gotta admit that related hard to that. Franny was all positive vibes and I thought she was a darling! Hayes, on the other hand, was the opposite. He’s on the quieter more awkward side, but that’s what made him so endearing – he just needed Franny to bring him out of his shell. He’s a gentleman with a heart of gold and truly, the perfect rom-com hero. In A New York Minute delivers on a slow-burn romance (AND I’M TALKING SLOW LIKE THE ZOOTOPIA SLOTH) and I absolutely loved that! We see Franny and Hayes overcome the misunderstanding between them and then work towards becoming friends. The progression of their relationship made a lot of sense to me but I could also be biased because I’m trash for a good slow-burn romance. At one point, we actually get to see Hayes date someone else and surprisingly, it didn’t bother me. Ultimately, that short-lived relationship of his only served to bring him closer to Franny. There are so many cute and fluffy moments in this book that’ll have you ON THE FLOOR. Their banter was to die for! But my favorite moment of their entire relationship was their first super romantic date night in NYC. I won’t say more because I have to leave all the good magical stuff for y’all to experience! Honestly, the only thing I didn’t care for all that much was their reason for the third-act break-up. It felt a little silly but in the end, I still enjoyed the book. The last thing I want to mention about In A New York Minute is all the great friendships in this book. I loved loved loved how close Franny was with her two girlfriends. Cleo, Lola, and Franny were a support trio, the kind of ride-or-die friends every girl should have in their life. Lauren Layne fans will especially love the female friendships here! They were also such a fun and silly bunch who brought nothing but joy to the page. Hayes also has a great friend in the form of his work partner/work wife, who wasn’t afraid to knock some senses into him when he was being oblivious. I loved how comfortable he was opening up to her. More platonic friendships between men and women, please! This is one of those books that’s so light-hearted and romantic that I know I will be picking it up when I’m in desperate need of a mood lifter. I had a great time reading it and I think you will too!

SO MUCH FUN. I must admit that a slow-burn romance isn't typically my thing - I like a little more action - but this was just too cute not to love. The way that we got to know both main characters, the way that they were just so authentic and true to life, the way their personalities slowly developed over the course of the book as the reader watches them find their way to each other, it was all just the sweetest. And SUCH great side characters! I particularly loved Franny's two best friends, but Hayes' cousin and business partner were both great too. I also know that Kate Spencer wrote this as a love letter to New York City in a way and it totally delivered on that. I've only visited NYC, never lived there, but the book was just oozing New York City charm and that certain vibe that you can only feel and experience in New York. What a delight this book was and I'm so excited to hear that there are more romance novels coming from this author.

This just may be my favorite rom-com book of all time. This is not hyperbole. This book hit me in all the right ways. I have always loved the movie, When Harry Met Sally, and I can’t help but liken this book to having the same charm. I love the creative, funny and self-depreciating Franny and the uptight, awkward and charming Hayes. At first they have an awkward (and hilarious) meet up that goes viral. They meet again and don’t get the best impressions of each other. However, once they begin to connect, the magic between this couple was just beautiful to read. This was a sweet romance with less steam but is just so authentically romantic. Spencer’s love letter to New York and the romance of the city itself is infectious. The book was a pure delight to read! Fair warning, during and after reading expect to want to eat a lot of bagels, watch the movie Moonstuck and look up flights to NYC.

Give me all the cuteness!!! If you’re looking for a cute and fast paced romcom, this is it. From the very beginning I couldn’t stop laughing, especially after the disastrous and cringeworthy meet cute Franny and Hayes had. I can’t even imagine the embarrassment Franny felt when her dress got stuck on the metro door, leaving her exposed 🙈🙈 but cue in Hayes, who just happened to have a jacket to lend her 🤍🤍 Besides the Romantic relationship between Franny and Hayes, there were so many other relationships that I enjoyed. I loved the friendship between Franny and her two best friends, Lola and Cleo. They are the type of friends that drop everything without hesitation to be there for one another. I also enjoyed the friendship between Hayes and Eleanor. I haven’t read about many friendships between a male and female that is purely platonic, so that was refreshing. I also loved how Spencer captures the beauty of NYC. I felt as though I was right there in the middle of New York while reading. NYC is one of my favorite cities in the world. F You can get your hands on In a New York Minute on March 14, 2022. Thank you NetGalley and @forever for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book made me want to hop on the next flight to New York! Such a love letter to the city, and I loved following Franny as she found herself and her confidence. And Hayes was the perfect counterpart of her. Lots of chemistry, lots of found family and fun characters. I couldn't put it down!

Love love LOVE this book! I was so excited when I saw I got a chance to read it early. I love everything from the opening scene to the middle point to the ending. I'm officially a fan of Kate Spencer and can't wait to read her next book!!