Hunt It, Clean It, Cook It, Eat It

Pub Date 21 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 26 Aug 2021

Talking about this book? Use #HuntItCleanItCookItEatIt #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Confused on how to hunt and prepare upland birds? New to plucking a duck? Unfamiliar with calling deer? Haley covers it all. When you come back from the field, choose an easy but decadent recipe that will enhance the natural flavors of the meat without any of the typical game flavor that turns so many hunters and diners away.

A Note From the Publisher

Available in the following formats: Softcover: (978-1-64397-148-3) & Ebook:.(978-1-64397-149-0) LCCN: (2020934357). Print distribution through Ingram, Gardners, and Baker & Taylor. Ebook library distribution through Overdrive, Hoopla, and Baker & Taylor.

Marketing Plan

• Social Media and E-newsletter promotion

• Virtual events

• Email marketing

• Blog features and promotions

"The Complete Field-to-Table Guide to Bagging More Game, Cleaning it Like a Pro, and Cooking Wild Game Meals Even Non-Hunters Will Love" I'll tell you a little about me, and doing so will clue you in about why I love this field guide/cookbook so much. Years ago, a friend gave me quite a few packets of venison from a deer shot in Montana by her dad. She told me, "Be sure to simmer it a long time in lots tomatoes to tenderize it and get ride of the gamey taste. Venison from Montana always tastes horrible." In those days, I was living paycheck to paycheck, enjoying government-issued cheese, and was far to hungry to be proud about handouts. One evening I was hungry but lacking in tomatoes, so simply pan-fried a steak and ate it. It was horribly gamey, but it was food, so I choked it down. Decades later, after moving to the farmlands of Mid-Michigan, we were gifted with a bounty of processed venison, thanks to a hunter-neighbor. This time I received no warnings, but I still recalled that horrible steak I'd eaten in Seattle twenty years previous. With a sigh, I threw a steak into my crockpot, poured in a quart of my home-canned tomatoes, diced in an onion, cranked up the heat and crossed my fingers. Six hours later, I tasted the most delicious, succulent, flavorful, fall-apart meat I'd had in a very long time. Had venison evolved since I last tasted it? I talked about this with my hunter-neighbor, and learned that he planted corn and scattered bushels of fallen apples on his land, so the deer could fatten up on food that would flavor the meat nicely. He told me that most likely my awful-tasting Montana venison had come from deer that grazed on sagebrush, which flavored their meat differently. He also mentioned that field dressing the deer immediately makes all the difference. Then he offered me some more meat, which I happily accepted. I was now officially a venison aficionado! That was over twenty years ago, and we're still getting venison from that hunter-neighbor. He's a careful, thoughtful hunter, who makes sure the meat is processed correctly. This year he gifted us with our first backstrap. Oh, my gosh. It was the best piece of meat I'd ever had and I'm so relieved I didn't ruin it. Having said all that, you can see why I eagerly jumped on this book. I will never be a hunter myself, but it's important for me to understand the entire process of how venison ends up on my plate. Haley Heathman describes every step in unflinching detail, sneaking in just enough humor—if you love a good pun, you'll appreciate her—to take the edge off the grisly details. I'll be trying all of her venison recipes over time, and if I'm gifted with other wild meats, birds or waterfowl I'll grab this book again for her expert guidance. This book is a must for anyone who loves wild meat. It's important that we know where our food comes from, and understand the mindset of people willing to go to all the trouble to get it for us. My thanks to author Haley Heathman and NetGalley for allowing me to read a digital advance review copy of this book. This review is my honest and unbiased opinion.

Date reviewed/posted: August 6, 2021 Publication date: October 21, 2021 When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you have personally decided to basically continue on #maskingup and #lockingdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle! I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the author in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do 😸. Wild game hunting and cooking enthusiast Haley Heathman shares her journey into the sport along with practical hunting advice, tips, and informative how-to recipes to “tame the game” out of meat in this easy hunting and cooking guide. Big game, waterfowl, and upland birds can be tricky to hunt and even trickier to make delicious for dinner. With details on how to ensure you’re ready for the hunt, how to chase and clean your prey, and how to prepare it so guests are impressed, Haley Heathman will have you out in the field in no time. Confused about how to hunt and prepare upland birds? New to plucking a duck? Unfamiliar with calling deer? Haley covers it all. When you come back from the field, choose an easy but decadent recipe that will enhance the natural flavours of the meat without any of the typical game flavour that turns so many hunters and diners away. Take the mystery out of hunting and cooking wild game one species at a time with Haley Heathman. I don't hunt but I do eat meat and appreciate anyone who will kill it and can it before I cook it and eat it! (And in this economy, it is an affordable way to feed your family, even if you hit the deer with your car instead of shooting it ... either way you can take it home, prep it and cook it!) The instructions for cleaning the game is well described and would help any newbie in getting the food ready for cooking. The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there, even if you just get the ingredients from the grocery store. I especially love the book because it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods. My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!) I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books and food down by the Thames! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩

Hunt It, Clean It, Cook It, Eat It was an interesting read. It had very good tips and was in depth. I give this book a 3 out of 5 stars. I am leaving this review voluntarily.

This was the perfect book to pick up for when my husband went for his first hunting trip! I delighted in showing him multiple passages in the book and we both lingered over the jam packed, awesome information. The narrative voice was both informative and conversational, super fun! We'll be turning to this book every time we feed ourselves from the land. An absolutely valuable classic for people who want to live a more simple but not lacking flavor kind of life.

This was a great cookbook and I really enjoyed reading through the recipes. I definitely found some that I will be making.