The Nurse

Pub Date 17 Mar 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Someone is watching her. She just doesn’t know it yet.

The unputdownable new book from the bestselling author of Her Name Was Rose.

Everyone has a secret. But some are worse than you could ever imagine.

Nell Sweeney has led an ordinary life. Every day she walks to and from the hospital where she works as a nurse, believing that no harm can befall her.

Until one day she is taken.

Because someone out there has a secret. Someone out there has been watching Nell – and they’ve been watching others like her too.

Nell is the unlucky one – she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. And if she isn’t found soon, someone will make sure that she isn’t the last woman to be taken…

A chilling, gripping read, perfect for fans of Clare Mackintosh and Gillian McAllister.

Someone is watching her. She just doesn’t know it yet.

The unputdownable new book from the bestselling author of Her Name Was Rose.

Everyone has a secret. But some...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE £2.99 (GBP)

Wow! What a heart breaking story! This book also had intrigue, suspense, and a very interesting storyline! It wasn't A sad book but just very in your feelings type book. Its sad that many people probably feel thus way or that this stuff definitely happens in real life?! It was a gritty heart felt story! I definitely recommend reading this book! Its well worth reading! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

I flew through this story in one day, it was so gripping. A real nail-biter of a story that you simply need to read to the end. The Nurse is about Nell Sweeney, a nurse who is taken one day after her shift. Immediately Claire Allen fills the text with the panic and worry consuming Nell’s mother Marian. She is determined to get the authorities involved after her daughter’s friend and housemate Clonagh lets her know that Nell hasn’t been home in a few days. The narrative flits between Marian and ‘him’, a male perspective who seems to hate women. He has gotten involved with incel websites (involuntarily celibate) where women are derided and abused, and the phrase ‘not all men’ is banded about with absolute sincerity. This man decides to act on his rage that men are being punished, and begins stalking women, filming their fear, and starting a movement with his actions, unknowingly triggering something worst than he could have imagined. A book that feels very relevant and very current, The Nurse targets the most common fear of women and plays out a scenario that is all too real. Chilling and unsettling, dark and foreboding, this is a fantastic read with an uncomfortable plot. I could not put this book down as I had to find out what happened to Nell and find some closure to this story. I appreciated that despite the heavy and almost all-encompassing storyline, other characters were well developed. Marian was the browbeaten wife and mother, and her self-reflection on her parenting skills and position as wife and mother was heart wrenching and had more of an impact on her daughter than even she realised. Heartbreaking and relatable, a thriller that will strike fear in the heart of all women. 5 star

WOW!! Claire Allen has done it again. I don't ever remember being so unnerved reading a book before. Claire is an amazing author & writes about serious issues in a excellent way. You'll feel your spine chilling & angry at the abuse women face so much. This book is not to be missed & absolutely excellent as always.

I was lucky enough to get an early copy of this from NetGalley - I had planned to read it slowly, the subject matter being so tense and raw that I thought it would be easier to read in small doses - I was wrong! I got completely swept up in the story - not breathing in parts as another thread unravelled to reveal a secret. I don’t want to post any spoilers - but this book goes beyond the fear women feel walking alone - down into the darkness of the Incel forums. A daughter missing, a marriage falling apart, how well do we know the people we interact with? Another fabulous read from Claire Allan.

I received an E-ARC copy of ‘The Nurse’ by Claire Allan through NetGalley from Avon Books UK, in return for my honest review. Thank you to the publisher for my copy. The expected publishing date is 17.03.22. This is the first book I have read from this author, but I have heard about her books so much on social media I jumped at the chance to request. This book follows Nell, a Nurse who just like anyone else lives a normal life of work and socialising with friends. Suddenly Nell goes missing, and her friends and family are left distraught. Did she leave for some time away, or is there a more sinister reason for her disappearance? Meanwhile there is a new ‘Game’ floating about on social media aimed at the thrill of creeping up on a woman and scaring her. With the dark web ‘Incel’ community relishing this new challenge, how far will it go? The police find there is a race against time to discover who is behind this new ‘Game’ before anyone becomes a casualty of these dark and twisted individuals. This book covers a topic very close to many of our hearts at the moment. The stories in the media have made me question who we can trust and deepened the fear I already had about walking in the dark on my own. It is such an important but heart-breaking issue that we are dealing with every day. This story is mainly told through the point of view of three individuals, showing you a full picture from all sides. I think it is interesting to see the side of someone who is involved in the ‘Incel’ community as it gives a clearer insight of why the events occur. I really felt for Nell’s mother with all the pain and grief that she has to deal with throughout as the police are searching for her daughter. It is heart-breaking to read, and you really feel the emotions she goes through. The book had me gripped throughout as I followed the storyline, and it was a very intense read. I will be looking to reading more books by Claire Allan, as I loved reading this book. Overall, a gripping and intense thriller, which deals with a very current issue close to many of our hearts.

#TheNurse #NetGalley A good read. Nell, the nurse is gone missing and her mom, Marian is worried. Someone was watching her from so many days and they'd taken her. Who are they? And what do they want? Read it to find out. This story is told from three POV's. Characters were good. Thanks to NetGalley and Avon for giving me an advanced copy of this psychological thriller.

Brutally brilliant! Claire Allen has done it again. The Nurse follows the story of missing Nell and the pain and panic that her mother goes through. It was a difficult read at times, as Allen depicts the minds of the Incels so well, and of course that is not just restricted to fiction. I couldn't put it down and read well into the night to see what happened and wasn't disappointed. Thanks to Netgalley, the publishers and the author for the opportunity to read and review.

i am a huge fan of Claire Allan, so was really looking forward to this read, which didn't disappoint. The narrative alternates between the perspective of Marian (the victim's mum) and Him (I won't spoil by revealing his name. There are a few chapters from Nell's point of view. Nell is a nurse. When she disappears fro a few days, her friend Clodagh assumes she has met someone and is having fun, but when she fails to turn up for work, Clodagh realises something's wrong. The author does a great job of portraying the characters. I really felt for Marian. Knowing your child is in danger is a horrendous situation to be in. It is clear that her relationship with her husband, Stephen is strained. Having Heather, the family liason officer involved and the journalist searching for an exclusive on the story, all added authenticity. He starts an online movement #Ihavethepower, where he scares woman. Although he has no intention of harming them, other followers are more extreme and that's how Nell finds herself chained in a cold, empty house. The novel explores the theme of misogyny and reminded me of Jodi Picoult's work. I particularly liked the way the author drip fed information and built up tension to the climactic scene at the end. I will definitely recommend this read and eagerly await, Claire Allan's next novel. Thanks indeed to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

OMG The Nurse is one seriously twisted book! Claire Allan has created a book that plays on most woman’s biggest fear where a sense of malice is palatable from the start. The first chapter chills you and by the second chapter, you will find yourself well and truly hooked. The Nurse incorporates a subject that’s relevant and very current in today's news, which makes the read far more credible and terrifying. Nell Sweeney is a nurse, who disappears after completing her shift. The narrative moves effortlessly between Marian, Nell’s mum, and an unknown male who appears to hate women. He has gotten involved with involuntarily celibate dark websites (Incel) where women are depicted in an extremely negative way and dehumanised and abused. The subject is a difficult one, but the author deals with it sympathetically. But never less I feel I should mention that the storyline is gritty, and makes for an upsetting and disturbing read at times. The Nurse generates a genuine sense of fear as the unknown male’s behaviour escalates. The emotions the young women feel are so credible you imagine yourself in their shoes, vulnerable and terrified. Marian’s character is one every mother will relate to. The pain and grief that she had to deal with whilst the police are searching for her daughter was heart-breaking to read. The unknown male chapters sent shivers down my spine, as he becomes an active member of Incel. It made for an uncomfortable read. There’s an intense feeling of something dark and dangerous lurking as his twisted game gains momentum within the Incel community. A sense of foreboding grows at every flick of the page. I have a feeling this book is going to be a big hit on its release in 2022. Highly recommended. My review will be shared to my Instagram, goodreads and Amazon accounts

Thank you Netgalley and Avon UK for the eARC. This book really freaked me out. I am a nurse myself and worked in a not so great area so I always worry. I ended up finishing the book to figure out what happened, but just the idea of a nurse being abducted outside the hospital she worked at and finding out that she was more than likely being watched is just a lot. I thought the book was great and was very well written. It just hit close to home. But I would definitely recommend to a friend.

Well, this book is great. It’s also super scary! I wasn’t sure how it would play out, and I couldn’t stop reading to reach the ending. I was just shocked by this whole book and that it was based on real research. I don’t know if anything is scarier than an incel if I’m going to be honest, and this book shows why. The story of Nell being missing and her mother trying to get answers is just very… it’s intense. Then there’s other pieces that come together, and this book is a lot of handle. I really liked it, but it was terrifying as well! The author wrote it well, and I appreciated the note she wrote at the end. Honestly a great thriller but proceed with caution with the subject matter. Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the digital review copy.

Nell Sweeney is a nurse leading a very ordinary life, until one day she is taken while walking to the hospital where she works. Nell never expected something like this to happen, but soon learns that she was likely being watched by her abductor. And that he is likely watching others too. She is praying to be found before its too late! This was a very intense thriller novel from Claire Allen. The author kept the intensity very high throughout this fascinating story. I appreciated the multiple points of view and that the story felt completely believable, as it could easily be a news story in real life. I really enjoyed THE NURSE and I hope you will too! Many thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for my ARC in exchange for my honest review. This review will be posted to my Instagram Blog (@coffee.break.book.reviews) in the near future.

WOW this book just WOW. I was gripped from the first page and I couldnt put it down, and didnt until i got to the very last word. It was dark, chillingly disturbing and shockingly raw and all the better for it. The book deals with senstive issues such as incels in a very emotive and real way that makes the reader really live it alongside the characters. It was unnervingly atmospheric and tense and I loved it

This is a brilliant thriller, giving insight into the murky, dark world of incel’s and Internet forums at a very timely moment. The characters are riveting, the victims Mum in particular, and there is a brilliant moment around half way through that just blew me away. Loved it.

I have always enjoyed reading a book by Claire Allan, I think they keep getting better and better her books, this one was brilliant. I was hooked from the first chapter, it has just the right level of tension that builds up with a good pace. It sent shivers down my arms and a level of unease reading it, I wanted to devour the whole thing right away but then wanted to saviour the story. Claire has a way with her words that keep you guessing and she leaves the reader with a hint of intrigue as you never really know what will happen next. I loved the story line and it had some fantastic twists, I look forward to reading Claire's next book.

As soon as I heard the premise for this book, I knew I had to read it. "The Nurse" is a captivating psychological thriller which thoroughly engaged me. I couldn't put it down! Claire Allan has really pulled out all the stops with this one. She cleverly, subtly, challenges our perceptions around who is a victim worthy of public sympathy. She also shows us how easily people can become radicalised online. "The Nurse" explores the very real, very dangerous, culture of Incels. If you don't know what that means, you're in for the shock of your life. I urge you to read the Author's Note at the end for context, and I also highly recommend Laura Bates's work of non-fiction on the subject, entitled "Men Who Hate Women". Allan has used fiction to explore a hugely important (and little understood) issue in a way that is engaging and gripping. I hope this book is a massive bestseller. It deserves to be.

This book is really good. The incel movement is so terrifying to me, and the way it was brought to life so realistically in this novel was both brilliant and scary to read about. There are a lot of books about missing people and I often find that the reactions of the parents don't quite ring true but I think Marian was spot on. You could really feel her terror and devastation and I felt dreadfully sorry for her. This isn't a particularly twisty novel, it's more character-driven, but having said that there was one part that I really didn't see coming. Just an editing note - there are a few inconsistencies. At the beginning Marian describes Nell as her 'eldest child' which is a bit of a strange phrase when it turns out that Nell is an only child. Also Heather states at the beginning that she has no children but has plans to have them soon, but by the end she has acquired two teenage sons. DI Bradley is also demoted to DS on at least one occasion. I imagine these issues will be ironed out prior to publication.

I have read all of Claire’s books. I thought that her previous book ‘Forget Me Not’ was excellent and the ending fantastic. This book is not one with a plot twist though. It is one that is fast paced and exciting. I read it in two days! This book focuses on the deep and dark world of incels (involuntarily celibate). This might be a relatively new term for some and it makes for some uncomfortable reading at times. This group of men are against women, they hate them for wanting power and control, seeing it as an emasculation. We hear from an anonymous male as he starts a viral moment of following lone women walking home at night. We also hear from a distraught mother, as she learns that her daughter is missing. The two timelines run at slightly different times, so you never quite know what’s going to pop up next. Who has her daughter and will she see her alive ever again? This is a very tense and gripping story. If you want a great crime read then this one is for you.

Another tense chilling Claire Allen book.Tense chilling characters that come alive.Could not put down read late into the night,Will be recommending author and book#netgalley#avonbooksuk

Thank you so much for giving me the chance to read The Nurse early. I’ve been waiting for this book, Claire Allan being one of my favourite and auto buy authors, and was not disappointed. This may now be my favourite thriller by the author, with “Forget Me Not” very close second. I feel like there’s so much to say about this book I could ramble.. so I’d just say if you should absolutely preorder this one!! As always with Claire’s books, I was completely spooked after the first page! She really knows how to hook you straight away! Emotional and tense just doesn’t cite it. When I figured out who “Him” was, I startled my family shouting “WAIIIIIT, ARE YOU __?! Noooo” Marian talks in the first half of motherhood and newborns, which is both hilarious and relatable. This book touched on some very real and relevant issues in such a thought provoking and disturbing way. Women walking with keys in their fingers, crossing the road so as to not be followed etc. It was brilliant. “And for all the women who never made it home…” I was in absolute bits reading the acknowledgments and authors note. Very easy 5 stars.

I absorbed this book in a weekend. Very fast paced and the unknown male chapters made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Very chilling and gripping. Didn't want it to end but I couldn't stop reading. One of the best of this genre that I've read this year.

I LOVED this book!! The story was quite intriguing and quite the psychological thriller. Claire Allan does an excellent job of weaving a good, page-turning story that keeps you guessing until the shocking reveal. I had to go back to make sure I read it right on who was involved. I learned what an incel was and how radicalized people can get with online forums and the dark web. I have to find more books by this author!

I received an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review I loved this one. Very fast paced, had me turning pages as I tore through it – I had to see how it would end. The characters were well rounded and the narrative felt believable. Gave me chills. Solid five

Nell Sweeny has disappeared. She was a young woman just starting out: recently graduated from nursing school, working in the local hospital, rooming with her best friend, meeting new people, dating. She and her roommate worked different shifts, so Nell had already been missing a few days before anyone noticed. When the police become involved, they discover her cell phone and her credit cards haven’t been used since she left work, days before. Her friends and family insist that she is a responsible young woman and would not take off on holiday without telling someone. Her mother Marian knows that something is deeply wrong. She can only wait. Her husband, Nell’s father, is with her. A family liaison is ever by her side. Detectives come and go. But Marian is alone as only a mother, who had once shared her body with her now missing only child, can be, waiting for the telephone call that her daughter has been found, one way or another. Claire Allan, a former journalist, has a gift for writing point-of-view so precisely that the reader feels like she is in the room with the character, seeing everything, hearing everything, feeling the terror that envelops Marian, as Marian slowly detaches from the everyday life she had before Nell disappeared which now seems surreal and foreign. This story, something that could happen to anyone, is harrowing. It’s the kind of story that will stay with you long after you have closed the book.

This was a really compelling story and dark story. It gives an insight into the dark and depraved world of the Incel. The book is about Nell a young nurse who has disappeared, and a man who feels he is unseen by women. This is a really fast paced and gripping read.

I had to stop reading this party way through. Not because it wasn’t good, but because it was SO good. Such an incredibly tough yet relevant subject matter and tackled from multiple points of view. Not much scares me in fiction, but this truly did a number on me! Sinister, because it’s so realistic. Sometimes what we fear most is right under our noses

I was given this book by NetGalley for an honest review - Nell is a nurse who walks to work every day never worrying for her safety - - but someone is watching her! And then she disappears - Has she run off? Has someone taken her? But what is really going on will shock you!

A scarily well written and timely book with complex, engaging characters and a plot that grabs you from the first chapter and refuses to let go! I found the part of Him particularly interesting; like like every young woman today I can relate to the fear and actions of all of the female characters but have never thought of the situation from a male perspective.. A really outstanding read, my only criticism is that the title doesn't do justice to the content.

This book was excellent - as a thriller, and as a glimpse into a very real part of society. It was unsettling and eerie at times, shocking and horrifying at others. The characters were well drawn, particularly Nell's mother Marian. You'll figure the twist right before it's revealed, which works very well because you're thinking "no, it can't be, is it??!". And the author did a great job given the male side of the story and the type of thought process. I'm so glad I read it, even if it did leave me looking over my shoulder even more than usual!

The Nurse by Claire Allan ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I simply love Claire Allan. The Nurse is another creepy, dark and pretty disturbing story that is every woman's nightmare come true. A glimpse into the minds of some really messed up people and the powers of the dark web. You must read this. Be warned it is terryfying and realistic. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Thanks @netgalley @avonbooksuk and @claireallan_author for my arc Publication date 17th March 2022

This book was amazing!! The plot twist blew my mind and the suspense had me devouring every second of it. The part where Nell was reading about her parents in the paper was so heart wrenching. You felt the emotions of everyone in this book and it was really just a fantastic read. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

Woah. Well what do I say about this other than it scared the absolute crap out of me. I REALLY couldn't connect to one of the viewpoints we are following but the others I was hooked on. This was my first Claire Allan book and I dont think it will be my last! Full review will be on Books and Bargains youtube channel (December 2021 Wrap Up due towards the end of the month)

From the premise of the book, I was eager to read it and I wasn’t disappointed. Nell Sweeney is a nurse. Every day she walks up and from the hospital believing no harm can come to her, until one day, she is taken. It seems someone is out there watching her, watching women, she’s one of the unlucky ones. If the police don’t find her soon, she may not be the only one who is taken. Gripping and thrilling, I found this book hard to put down. It’s well written and will keep you hooked to the end. Thank you to NetGalley, Avon Books and the author for the chance to review.

Claire Allan is one of my favourite authors at the moment and this book was just brilliant. To say I enjoyed it seems strange, it was a great story well written but deeply disturbing. I think it was just far too true to life. The mindset of a misogynistic incel is terrifying to explore but this book really hit home as to how these men operate, firstly as keyboard warriors then egged on by others playing out their fantasies in real life. I loved Nell's mother Marian, I could really identify with her as a mother of a young woman. Her husband was a total waste of space and I felt no sympathy for him whatsoever. Traumatic read but definitely a story of our time. I especially liked the epilogue which highlighted real life scenarios which inspired this book.

This psychological thriller is so intense that, as a reader, I had to close the book and walk away from the scene that was unfolding. I am not sure if it was the subject matter or the skillful writing and descriptives by the author that made my pulse race and forced me out of my chair to distract myself. No matter, this subject matter has a title and a following: incel: involuntary celibacy. These are men who are unable to have a romantic relationship in spite of wanting one and blaming the women as the cause. You can get swept up and be part of it on the dark web and that is exactly what happened.    What started as a small “thrill” of scaring a girl, posting it on a website to make this man feel empowered and the hero to others with this misogynistic mentality turns into a deadly situation. There are others out there that want to “up” the ante against women and are quick to support any activity that does so.    Running parallel to this storyline is what is happening to the missing girl's parents and their relationship. You learn that the mother has also been a victim of being abused mentally and physically for many years and the reasons why she tolerated it. So the subject matter hits home in every scene.    It’s a gripping story with factual situations as described in the postscript by the author that gives it credence that this subculture exists.

The Nurse is a gripping thriller that deals with a topic that has been in the news over the last few years or so. The rise of incels and how internet forums and groups have grown around these men who feel that they are under threat from and owed something by women. This particular story is told (mostly) from two points of view. Firstly Marian, who finds out that her daughter, a nurse in her early twenties has been abducted. Secondly from the point of view of a, to begin with, nameless man. This man has become increasingly frustrated with the women in his life. The boss who belittles him, even though he's sure that she has only been promoted due to her sex. His flatmate who flaunts her body and mocks him at the same time, the women who aren't interested in him. He spends more and more time online and finds purpose and a sense of acceptance with other men who have the same experience. The more time that he spends with these people online, getting recognition, the further his actions go. I don't really want to go into to many details about what happens. This is a thriller and I think keeping the twists and turns unknown before you begin is a big part of what keeps you wanting to read more, to learn more. This was a gripping read and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. It walked the balance between the victim's fear and a strange kind of understanding for the man who had fallen into this world perfectly. Give it a read if you have a chance, you won't regret it. I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own and given voluntarily.

The Nurse by Claire Allan was the perfect book with which to finish a year of varied and eclectic reading, and I am thrilled to end on such a high note. Nell is a young nurse with the whole of her life ahead of her. Adored by her parents, and living with her closest friend, Nell is thriving in her freedom and independence. But a single phone call from a concerned roommate will change everything. Nell has gone missing, and as her frantic parents search for answers, time seems to be running out for a young woman who has had the great misfortune to not only be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but to see firsthand the evil that is omnipresent, and always lurking in the corners of our lives. This is a chilling read that serves as a startling reminder that we are always only one decision away from a completely different outcome. Many thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for an ARC.

This is such a chilling book! Claire Allan isn’t afraid to deliver a punch to your gut with a gripping storyline that felt far too close for comfort at times as it mirrored some awful true life crimes that have occurred around the world recently. But she didn’t dwell on the side of voyeurism, instead using her characters to increase the tension throughout. I loved Marion-a mother who never gives up hope of seeing her daughter again even though the odds are stacked against her-and the use of the multiple viewpoints kept the plot flowing with a perfectly paced game of cat and mouse. A difficult book to put down but I had to at times to give myself some breathing space away from the claustrophobic feeling that pushed down on me during some hard to read scenes. Cleverly written and thought provoking.

The nurse by Claire Allan was such a great read, I loved the characters and both the storyline, kept me so engaged and wanting to turn the pages. It is a psychological thriller for fellow book readers who like this genre, definitely didn’t disappoint. Claire Allan kept you engaged throughout the whole book and everything blended very well together which I really liked. Such a thrilling and creative read that I thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance review copy in exchange for my honest review.

The nurse by Claire Allan Wow, this was a great read ! I had a few late nights staying up to read this! Loved the characters and the storyline was great. The book flowed really well. Would definitely love to read more from this author.

Nell, is a young nurse, the daughter to Stephen and Marian. She is living independently, but one day, Marian gets a phone call from Nell’s roommate. Nell has not been to the house in at least 2 days. The police are called. There are three different points of view explored in this novel, Nell, her mother Marian, and an unnamed man who hates women. At the time of Nell’s disappearance, there is a new movement taking place to harass women and humiliate them. Nell had appeared in a video where a follower of this new movement attempts to scare women alone at night, was Nell taken as a result of this movement or is it a new friend/boyfriend that she has met since living independently? It was impossible to put this down. I recommend this book to anyone interested in psychological thrillers. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advance review copy in exchange for my honest review.

This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Avon Books UK and #NetGalley for my honest opinion. Opinions expressed are completely my own. You won’t want to put this one down. It’s full of twists and turns.

I am finding it difficult to find the words to review this book. The subject matter is so true and the writing so incredibly good that it made it, for me, horrible to read. There was always an undercurrent of evil that I could not get my head around. When I did I felt sick. What had been an uncomfortable read suddenly worsened to the nth degree. How? Why? What now? The ending was fitting. It could never be right. Nothing could make that right. I was right to keep reading. This book needs reading.

This book blew my mind! I was expecting one thing and was given something that was way beyond my expectations. It was downright creepy and intense. I will never walk outside at night alone again that’s for sure. Nell was just trying to live her life to the fullest and a bad choice led to some very horrible consequences. She went missing and her parents began a frantic search for her. The search led to a very disturbing revelation about what lurks on the dark web. An intriguing thriller to add to your list.

This book is guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat (or wherever you are reading it!!!) Claire Allan has written another gripping read which explores serious issues usually written about. The story centres around Nell a nurse who has gone missing. The story is told from multiple points of view and this really kept my interest as well as allowing me to get to know each character and their personal perspective. I felt so much for Marion her mother, it’s every mother’s worst nightmare to have anything happen to their child but the uncertainty of not knowing what has happened is unimaginable. Incel forums were something I previously may have heard of but didn’t really think about. The depictions in the book were really disturbing but equally sadly true to life. The story is set in the city I was born and grew up in and this added to my enjoyment, I could picture each location and this made the story seem so real to me. . Overall this is a compelling sometimes dark read which had me page turning late into the night. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for my chance to read this gripping thriller.

The Nurse is a clever thriller with a chilling storyline and plenty of twists which made for a great read. I have always enjoyed this author’s books and this one was no exception.

Holy crap! Can you say toxic? These characters are what we all fear, especially women, the world becoming full of. No doubt we've met and experienced a few, maybe unfortunately several in our lives, but this book pulls them together with some sort of women-hating magnet. This is a dark thriller and it's quite emotional, even triggering, so beware.

A harrowing tale of misogyny and toxic masculinity, this suspense thriller describes every woman's worst nightmare. 22-year old nurse, Nell Sweeney has been missing for four days and her parents, Marian and Stephen are beside themselves with worry. While the cops are doing everything they can to locate her, unbeknownst to them, Nell is caught in a psycopath's macabre power game, where she is merely an expendable pawn. It takes amazing skill to turn such an agonising subject matter into an unputdownable plot, the way Claire Allan has done with 'The Nurse.' Her story-telling technique is unfaltering, be it in the tangible portrayal of Nell's sheer terror, Stephen's helplessness, Marian's alternating feelings of grief, dread and numbness, or in the characterization of the antagonist whose twisted POV invokes revulsion and outrage in the reader. The events in the book do bring up unpleasant memories of situations of fear and harassment that women all over have endured because of the perverted view of certain men who try to find their own worth, in the pain of the women around them. The author's note at the end of the book provides a condensed insight into the 'incel' community, ensuring that it isn't simply fiction, but an existing and escalating movement of 'women-haters.' Overall, an intensely dark read that is as compelling as it is uncomfortable. Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books for providing a digital copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

If you like thrillers, you are very likely to find this book captivating. A very fast-moving story, with good character development and a scenario which is researched. Stephen & Marian are like many married couples, leading a fairly routine life, though with some level of incompatibility & stress between them. Nell is their daughter, who wants to live an independent life, and works as a nurse. One day Marian receives a call from Nell’s room-mate that she has not been seen for the last 2-3 days. At first, since Nell has made some new friends, including a new boyfriend, they just expect she has stayed over with someone. As the cops get involved, they advise not to panic initially, but everyone fears the worst as more time elapses. There is another track which alternates with this one – there is a man (referred to as only ‘Him’, ‘He’ for over half the book) who harbours resentment against what feminism is doing to the freedom men have enjoyed in the past. He, along with other Incels (Involuntary celibates) discuss such things on forums on the dark web. He has an idea to get power back for men, and with a camera follows women walking alone, filming the fear they feel, finally making a lame excuse for being behind them. As he posts this on the forums to adulation from others, his sense of self-worth grows. This triggers many others to think of more things they can do. It seems that one of this crowd could be involved with Nell’s disappearance. The writing is very good, and the book is a page turner. ‘His’ philosophy to life and women is expressed very well, however disturbing it is to read. The author covers her research in the afterword and it is troubling, indicating that it is very easy today for many to harbour, discuss and amplify regressive views, and the true scenario is as bad or worse than what this book covers. A couple of things could have been better: - There is another victim besides Nell, whose story is brushed past too quickly (even she is not a primary character in the story). - The ending is somewhat plain and simple, and could have been better. However, I much prefer this instead of a far-fetched twist. My rating: 4.5 / 5.

This is my first novel by author Claire Allan and I did really enjoy it. We meet Marian, Nell and "Him", each chapter is from a different characters perspective and I love this kind of theme when reading a novel. Nell is a nurse who is mildly experimenting after being the good girl. Her room mate rings her mother, Marian, saying she has not seen Nell for a few days and is starting to get worried. The Him chapters are of an anonymous male, we do find out later in the novel who he is though, which is a great twist, and this character is sick of women, he uses the dark web to meet others like himself. He starts to scare women and put his videos on this dark web page and starts a following. Nell is missing and Marians chapters are of a heartbroken mother who desperately is searching for her child. Nell's chapters were of her imprisonment and how helpless she is. I did really enjoy this novel, for me I did find myself skim reading some pages, as I felt it was quite drawn out but nonetheless this is a good gripping novel and I really enjoyed Claire Allan's writing. Thanks to NetGalley, Claire Allan and the publishers for an ARC in exchange for my review.

I really enjoyed this one and will look into this author more. I enjoyed with twists and the flow of the story. The writing was well done and kept my interest throughout. I will be recommending this one to friends.

The Nurse is a thriller that does not disappoint. I literally could not put it down. At each turn, I thought I had it figured out and.... twist! This is a story about a young nurse named Nell. She was just trying to find some fun in her life. When she turns up missing, her parents are worried. You watch the cracks in their marriage crack wide open. You also hear the thoughts of the psychopath that has taken Nell and possibly others. What will happen next..... Thank you NetGalley for the oppurtunity to read the book for my honest opinion. #NetGalley

This was quite possibly the most terrifying book that I have read. This is real, this is now, this could be anyone of my friends, my colleagues, my family. This is us. The Author's note at the end of the book says: “On the day I submitted the first draft of this novel to my editor, the body of a missing marketing executive Sarah Everard was discovered in woodlands near Ashdod in Kent, England.” Sarah was walking home. About the time I started to read this, Ashling Murphy was murdered. Ashling was out for a run. A psychological thriller which explores the horrifying world of "incels" (involuntary celibate). Told from different POV with twists throughout to keep the reader thinking. The worst kind of twists. I am a fan of Claire Allan and would recommend if you enjoy Kerry Wilkinson, Alex Stone and Sarah Alderson

This was an excellent book for me and difficult at the same time , the subject is handled very well and I really liked Claire's author's note at the end , it makes for troubling reading . Marian's daughter Nell is missing , she hasn't showed up at the local hospital where she works so a missing person report is filed , you really feel for Marian as the days go on and I was totally immersed in her grief and despair , as the police investigation in ongoing cracks in her marriage that have been there for ages slowly start coming to the fore , brilliantly written , I felt all of the emotions she was going through , fantastic writing

Nell is a nurse who has gone missing and her family are worried. Someone has been watching Nell and they've taken her. Who are they? And what do they want? Told from three POV's this is a gripping story.

This is another 5 star read from Claire Allan. The fact that the issue of women feeling insecure when out alone at night is so prevalent in the news at the moment made this story feel really close to home. I felt a whole range of emotions while reading from fear and anger to curiosity and eagerness to find out the identity of the man stalking these women. I have to say that his identity left me reeling. I thought that the fact that the story is told from the point of view of several characters really portrayed both the fear and fury felt by the women as well as showing how what seemed like a harmless prank became more sinister. A book that will make you think.

This book had me gripped from the start. Nell had been missing for four days before her friend realised something was wrong. I enjoyed seeing the perspective from Nell, her mum and him. This book has everything, twists, heartbreak, hatred, love. It is definitely not one to be missed and you will not be able to put this book down.

Wow! This book gripped me from the first page to the last. The authors extensive research of "Incels" comes through in her amazing writing and within the characters of this psychological thriller. I I read The Nurse well into the night and at every spare moment until I'd finished it

What an intense story from beginning to end. The story centres upon a nurse called Nell who suddenly disappears after her shift. .Nells mum soon finds out that her daughter has been acting out of character and using online sites to meet men. The story focuses on the dark web and men who aren't that nice on these sites. Can her mum find out who is behind the kidnapping before it's too late. This book will keep you wanting more right to the end.

This arc was given to me by NetGalley and give it my honest opinion Wow! This book had me gripped from the start!!! The perfect book if you like a thriller! From start to finish the descriptive writing is perfect, a very thought provoking read specially a this time when so many women are being attacked and murdered. This book will stay with me for a long time. A must read!

The author’s note at the end of this book reads “On the day I submitted the first draft of this novel to my editor, the body of a missing marketing executive Sarah Everard was discovered in woodlands near Ashdod in Kent, England.” She was walking home from a friends house in March 2021. On the day I started reading this book, the body of a young woman, Ashling Murphy, was found in Tullamore, Co Offaly Ireland. She was in her 20’s, and she was going for a run. This book was fantastic, but it based on fact. The fact is that women no longer feel safe to be alone. We deserve to feel safe. Women are not at fault, male violence towards women is at fault. Having said that, I will tell you that Claire Allan’s book was riveting. I started it and did not want to go to sleep, I wanted to stay up and keep reading it. I wanted to finish it and keep it going. The main characters involved are Nell, her mum, “Him”, and the police. Nell is abducted and we are not sure if she’s missing, run away, murdered or what has happened to her. Nobody has heard from her begin to worry. The situation picks up speed rather quickly, as she’s already been missing four days at the time it was reported. The story is told through the points of view of Nell, Marian (Nell’s Mum), and “him.” There are twists that I do not think it’s possible to see coming, and I loved it. Finding myself surprised in a murder mystery can be rare! This book does not go the stereotypical ways and I think that’s so wonderful. The Nurse does not come out until March 2022, I was able to get an advanced readers copy and I’m so glad I was. If you’re not a fan of medical dramas - don’t worry. There’s very little to do with the profession here. If you are a fan of medical dramas - there’s just enough detail for you to enjoy, but it’s mostly character filler. Come to think of it, it’s a little odd for it to be the title of the book and not really relevant to the story at all. Either way, do yourself a favor and get a copy of The Nurse. It’s fantastic and I could not put it down.

The description of this book is everything that I look for in a good thriller mystery, suspense, and a what is going on feeling that I just have to get to the bottom of. When I opened this book I was completely surprised at how fast the author placed her reader right in the middle of the plot there wasn't a lot of build up. I really liked this because it lets you are a reader find out things that are happening at the same time as our main character. The book starts out with our main character Marian getting a call telling her that her daughter Nell hasn't been seen in a few days. Like any mother she is shocked and determined to find out what is going on and if this is all a big misunderstanding. However her small hopes are dashed when she is unable to get a hold of her daughter and she starts fearing the worst. The story then flips to a new character only known as "him". He is a woman hater who blames his hatred on the fact that woman don't accept him. He is the kind of man who is full of anger and believes that there is no reason woman should be scared of him but the fact that they are makes him super angry and have violent fantasies which completes the cycle. I really liked the point of view changes between "Him" and Marian because it gives the reader the chance to see both the good and the evil parts of the plot as they play out simultaneously. This book takes off like a fire and each chapter douses the plot with gasoline making it burner stronger and brighter than before. I loved everything about this book and this story was something that I haven't seem much of before. Great read for people who love thrillers and don't mind a little bit of a darker subject line sometimes. I can't say enough good things about this novel, I'm so glad that I was given the opportunity read it and I can't wait until it is released so I can recommend it to everyone I know. I cannot wait to read other books by Claire Allan if they are all even half as good as this one I know that I won't be disappointed.

Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher. Wow what a read, fast paced and page turning and will make you think. Loved it.

OMG! What a gripping book. At times I felt like I needed to read it from “behind the sofa”, some breathing space from the dark and disturbing story yet at same time I wanted to keep reading. I did struggle to get hooked early in the book, but after around 20% the psychological nature of the story just takes over. This is my fourth book by Claire, and they just get better. Detailed, descriptive and disturbing. Unfortunately believable. Totally recommended.

This is the first novel I have read by Claire Allan and I'll certainly be exploring her back catalogue now. The Nurse is a very timely and relevant novel, a thriller that focuses on the misogyny and violence towards women in our society and those men who are part of the INCEL movement. It follows the disappearance of 22 year old nurse Nell and Allen writes from the perspectives of Nell, her mother Marion and a member of an online INCEL group. It appears that Allen has done a lot of research into the subject and this is a chilling but gripping read. The novel is well written and well paced and there's a twist that I definitely did not see coming. Highly recommended. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this digital ARC.

This is the first book I read from this author and I really enjoyed it. The story is fast paced and the characters believable. Overall I’d recommend this book.

I loved this story of a nurse with a secret that is being kidnapped while on her way to work. The storyline was amazing and the ending was super unexpected!!!

Fans of fast-paced thrillers will love this. Nell is working as a nurse and ends up being abducted. Her roommate raises the alarm and breaks the news to her parents that she's missing. The POV's switch between Nell, and then to her mother. It shows the process of finding her and how difficult it was for everyone involved. It had me gripped from start to finish. I could not recommend it enough!

I received this arc through net galley and the publishers. I was looking forward to reading another Claire Allan book as I had previously read and enjoyed several of them. I wasn’t disappointed this book had me gripped from the start till the end and I would highly recommend it.

This feels incredibly relevant as a novel – and guaranteed, you’ll be more aware of walking home on your own after reading. Nell Sweeney is a young nurse whose parents get the worst news: she’s been taken and police have yet to find her. Dubbed as being in the wrong place at the wrong time, time is running out to find Nell, and her parents – with their own relationship issues – fret over who took their daughter, and why. Meanwhile, there’s a sinister trend developing, one that will set any woman on her own on edge, and one that grew into something that looks difficult to end. It’s clear that other women are being watched, and being subjected to acts of unspeakable unpleasantness, becoming the pawn in cruel games of mistreatment – and all for likes and followers. Claire has written a very modern thriller, one that taps into the worries and fears of anyone walking home alone, or waiting for a bus alone, and you can expect to have this linger in your mind long after you’ve read the final page.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy. This was definitely a judge a book by its cover, it drew me in from the front. I was addicted from the start, told from the point of view of 'him' as well as her mum gave both sides of the story. It is scary that there are many people out there who think the same as 'him' and that this happens and that men think they are entitled to think like that also made it an even more spooky read. The twist in the middle had me like woahhhh and I devoured the rest of the book. After the twist in the middle the pace slowed down a bit, which is why I rated it 4star, as it was a bit slower towards the end, but an addictive read!

This was absolutely not what I was expecting when I started the book but omg, what a book!! For any woman, this book will terrify you and have you gripped in equal measure!! Its so engaging and captivating and the reason it gets so under your skin is because we all know that this kind of thing does happen. These men do exist, these places on the Internet exist and every woman has known that sinking feeling in her stomach when she's accidently caught some creeps attention. Obviously this is fiction but, let's be honest..... its not just fiction is it?! And that is why you just won't be able to put it down and it will take you through every emotion you can think of. Really beautifully written and an absolute gem a book!!! I couldnt recommend this highly enough

A very emotive and thought provoking read exploring the current and very real issue on INCELS. A tense, gripping, disturbing, cleverly written plot that builds into a crescendo until it explodes in it's final chapters. One that will hook you in from the beginning to the end.

Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of The Nurse by Claire Allan. He is a man that is fed up with women. Finding solace with likeminded men on the dark web, he begins to talk about his exploits of late, scaring women by following them until they panic. She is a woman who is just looking for a date with a nice guy. But now she is missing, and so is another one of her coworkers. Are the two connected? And how far could this escalate. Ah, incels. It just strikes fear in your heart hearing the word. This definitely addresses the seedy underbelly of that world and the danger it creates for women. I can only hope that it's an exaggerated version. Having said that, as far as thriller/suspense novels go, I did enjoy this. It has you on the edge of your seat, with several unexpected turns. You'll be holding on to your hat for sure!

✨ {arc} BOOK REVIEW ✨ The Nurse by Claire Allan ~ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ~ 🚨 for trigger warnings, DM me because this one has many 🚨 Whew 😥 this one was DEEPLY disturbing. I grabbed this because I love thrillers and thought the summary was intriguing… but holy shit, I did not expect to be as rattled when I finished it! Claire Allan has a way of pulling the reader in from her journalistic storytelling to her ambiguous characters. The Nurse pivots between a few main characters’ perspectives: Nell (our nurse gone missing), Marian (Nell’s mum), and “Him” (a mystery man until about 60% into the book). The jerky transitions between narratives and POVs served the book so well - I literally felt like I had whiplash from my brain being dragged in so many different directions (note, I felt such a full & strong spectrum of emotions for so many of the characters in this book)! As a massive thriller fan, I can’t emphasize enough how much I loved Allan’s way of not saving a final plot twist for the last chapter, but instead, sprinkling a couple plot twists / surprises throughout the mystery. I feel like more recently, I’ve read thrillers that try so hard for a mind-blowing plot twist and they don’t always land… so this one was a great diversion from that. 🔊 If you choose to read this one, I cannot emphasize enough how much I recommend reading the mini bio about Claire Allan + her life as a journalist, acknowledgements and the author’s note. I likely would’ve rated this one significantly lower had I not had the context and understand the full scope of this book 📖 📆 To all my thriller fans, mark your calendars because this book will be released on March 17, 2022! 🔎 Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books UK, Avon for the copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.