Sea Turtles to Sidewinders

A Guide to the Most Fascinating Reptiles and Amphibians of the West

Pub Date 15 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 15 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #SeaTurtlestoSidewinders #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The western half of the United States is home to a huge array of reptiles and amphibians—from the rare and curious to those that can be found in parks and backyards. This user-friendly guide contains descriptions and photographs of the most interesting and likely-to-be-encountered lizards, snakes, turtles, and amphibians native to Arizona, California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, and Washington, plus the western parts of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico.

Whether you are a dedicated herper or simply have a keen interest in wildlife and natural history, Sea Turtles to Sidewinders will help you appreciate and celebrate the amazing diversity represented by reptiles and amphibians of the West.

Sea Turtles to Sidewinders: A Guide to the Most Fascinating Reptiles and Amphibians of the West by Charles Hood This is one terrific nature guide for that inspiring scientist, naturalist, or something to do as a family. This book is for the western half of the United States. It has all the information a person that wants to find and view nature, particularly reptiles and amphibians, will need. It emphasizes a "no touch" approach, and "do not destroy habitat". Having four boys, all grown now, reptiles and amphibians were a daily thing. I think they would have loved this book! I didn't have a clue what we were looking at most of the time. This book has over a 100 excellent photos with descriptions of each critter. Their size, color, diet, where they live, and even their temperament! More information is given too, such as their defenses. I wish I had this when my kids were younger. There is even a section on sea turtles, tortoises, and water turtles. Explanation on invasive water turtles in the past is brought up and plenty of photos show how to identify them. This may be a book for middle grade kids, or younger with adult assistance, but the author does not talk down to his audience. He also doesn't make it a boring science book. It reads like you're with a knowledgeable teacher out on a trip together and they are giving you pointers. It's relaxing and informative, insightful and clever, teaming with pictures and tidbits about things you might not know to ask. It gives good conservationists advice without being preachy, and it teaches to respect nature and the wilderness. I want to thank the publisher and NetGalley for letting me read this informative and enlightening book!

This book focuses on reptiles and amphibians found on the western half of the United states. Visually this book is a winner with great closeup photos of lizards, snakes, salamanders and more. In a casual manner, this book introduces the reader to how to look for reptiles and amphibians and provides tips from where to find them to how to document your observations. Recommend for people getting started with citizen science or just wanting to learn the basics about the topic.