The Black Agenda

Bold Solutions for a Broken System

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheBlackAgenda #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

"The Black Agenda mobilizes top Black experts from across the country to share transformative perspectives on how to deploy anti-racist ideas and policies into everything from climate policy to criminal justice to healthcare. This book will challenge what you think is possible by igniting long overdue conversations around how to enact lasting and meaningful change rooted in racial justice." —Ibram X. Kendi, #1 New York Times bestselling author of How to Be an Antiracist and Stamped From the Beginning

From ongoing reports of police brutality to the disproportionate impact COVID-19 has had on Black Americans, 2020 brought a renewed awareness to the deep-rootedness of racism and white supremacy in every facet of American life.

Edited by Anna Gifty Opoku-Agyeman, The Black Agenda is the first book of its kind—a bold and urgent move towards social justice through a profound collection of essays featuring Black scholars and experts across economics, education, health, climate, and technology. It speaks to the question "What's next for America?" on the subjects of policy-making, mental health, artificial intelligence, climate movement, the future of work, the LGBTQ community, the criminal legal system, and much more.

Essayists including Dr. Sandy Darity, Dr. Hedwig Lee, Mary Heglar, and Janelle Jones present groundbreaking ideas ranging from Black maternal and infant health to reparations to AI bias to inclusive economic policy, with the potential to uplift and heal not only Black America, but the entire country.

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

The Black Agenda: Bold Solutions for a Broken System, edited by Anna Gifty Opoku-Agyeman, presents not just ideas toward solving many problems we face but a transformative and overlooked perspective on these problems.

Many of the problems that we face as a society adversely affect communities of color yet their voices are seldom heard and never centered. To such an extent that these issues are almost ignored even within those communities most affected. This book serves as a step toward correcting this.

While I found the essays very interesting and the ideas for solving problems important, it isn't the main thing I took away from the book. I think just as valuable is raising the awareness, both within communities of color as well as within the specialized areas of knowledge that work on these problems, that these are civil rights issues. Black voices, whether scientists within those fields or activists in the communities, need to make sure they are heard and centered. I know some people think that centering Black voices means neglecting other voices, but the center doesn't have to be as small as it currently is. The groups most affected should have a bigger voice.

Having made that point, I want to also emphasize that these essays work very well toward bringing people into the issues. They are short, to the point, and accessibly written. Each has a works cited page so readers can delve deeper into the area(s) they feel they can be most effective in. I think by keeping the essays short and focused they are more welcoming for those of us ignorant of many of the fields involved.

This book works very well as a source of knowledge and information so the reader can better understand what needs to be done. But I think of it more as a call to action, for the reader to work to make the change needed and not simply better understand what needs doing.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants society to be better in every way for every person. I particularly recommend this to people in communities of color who might wonder why some issues they think of as distant are much closer to home than they think. I also believe those experts in these fields need to read this and understand that the status quo is not, and really never was, working or sufficient.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

A wonderful overview of all the issues the community and culture faces. Each section highlights the main points and should we want more information, we can go to the works cited for more information.

Tackling issues such as Climate, Health Care, Wellness, Education, Technology, Criminal Justice, Economy, and Public Policy "The Black Agenda" goes beyond showing how Black people are negatively impacted but also gives solutions on how to get better. The Black Agenda highlights Black experts in these spaces who are often left out of the conversation while the spotlight is shone on their white counterparts. These essays aren't all from a heteronormative perspective. We hear the voices from the LGBTQ community and the disabled community too.

I really enjoyed reading this book. With the current climate in this country right now, this book was perfect. Anna Gifty Opoku-Agyeman laid out critical topics for the Black community brilliantly. For each topic, she complied essays from the experts in their respective areas. These topics ranged from economics, education, health, climate, to technology. At the end of each essay topic, there were sources for additional reading.

I highly recommend this book.

This book acknowledges that it is not exhaustive or enough to fix everything, but it is a helpful tool and resource for individuals, and a list of places to start to move forward after the hype of summer 2020 died down.

A lot of the essays are very short, really just introductions to some of these ideas, but they explain in a quick and accessible way how things are wrong and some concrete steps to fix them, at least in the short term while coming up with larger solutions. They're broken into sections focusing on areas like climate, health care, wellness, education, technology, criminal justice, the economy, and public policy.

There are different points of view, including a couple contradictory ones--I was surprised that the first criminal justice essay argued for diversity in police, but then another essay did argue for abolition. Overall though these essays provide a fairly detailed summary of ways to solve so many of the most pressing issues in the United States right now, with a clear focus on Black Americans.

I'm really glad I got the chance to read The Black Agenda: Bold Solutions for a Broken System; I feel like if even one of these policy proposals are implemented, it will be a small step in the right direction.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the chance to read and review this ARC.

5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I would definitely be recommending this book to readers on my Instagram bookstagram account.

This is an incredible collection of brief essays from such a variety of brilliant experts. I’ll be buying this when it comes out, not least so I have a list of names whose work I should be looking for. If there is ever another edition of or follow up volume to this, I would love more inclusion of creatives and organizers.

I also really enjoyed the foreword and introduction. They provided great context and justification for the collection.

Many thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for a digital galley.

What an incredibly important and necessary read. These essays cover many of the “buzz” topics that matter to all of us in America but which directly and disproportionately ·impact people of color, especially black residents, Written by experts from the communities we see not only the problem, we see the solution. Clearly and concisely we learn how to address and rectify these issues. You can also delve into each essay more which is helpful for those of us who do not have the full information through mainstream news outlets. Recommended reading for everyone. I learned a lot and will implement what I learned in my community.

Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for this eye-opening book. I have led a privileged life, and until recently have not really paid attention to politics. This book made me realize that everything is political. Climate, Health Care, Education, Criminal Justice, the Economy,, everything. The book cites sources if you're interested in further reading. This is an important book, and everyone should read it.