The Black Agenda

Bold Solutions for a Broken System

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheBlackAgenda #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

"The Black Agenda mobilizes top Black experts from across the country to share transformative perspectives on how to deploy anti-racist ideas and policies into everything from climate policy to criminal justice to healthcare. This book will challenge what you think is possible by igniting long overdue conversations around how to enact lasting and meaningful change rooted in racial justice." —Ibram X. Kendi, #1 New York Times bestselling author of How to Be an Antiracist and Stamped From the Beginning

From ongoing reports of police brutality to the disproportionate impact COVID-19 has had on Black Americans, 2020 brought a renewed awareness to the deep-rootedness of racism and white supremacy in every facet of American life.

Edited by Anna Gifty Opoku-Agyeman, The Black Agenda is the first book of its kind—a bold and urgent move towards social justice through a profound collection of essays featuring Black scholars and experts across economics, education, health, climate, and technology. It speaks to the question "What's next for America?" on the subjects of policy-making, mental health, artificial intelligence, climate movement, the future of work, the LGBTQ community, the criminal legal system, and much more.

Essayists including Dr. Sandy Darity, Dr. Hedwig Lee, Mary Heglar, and Janelle Jones present groundbreaking ideas ranging from Black maternal and infant health to reparations to AI bias to inclusive economic policy, with the potential to uplift and heal not only Black America, but the entire country.

The Black Agenda: Bold Solutions for a Broken System, edited by Anna Gifty Opoku-Agyeman, presents not just ideas toward solving many problems we face but a transformative and overlooked perspective on these problems. Many of the problems that we face as a society adversely affect communities of color yet their voices are seldom heard and never centered. To such an extent that these issues are almost ignored even within those communities most affected. This book serves as a step toward correcting this. While I found the essays very interesting and the ideas for solving problems important, it isn't the main thing I took away from the book. I think just as valuable is raising the awareness, both within communities of color as well as within the specialized areas of knowledge that work on these problems, that these are civil rights issues. Black voices, whether scientists within those fields or activists in the communities, need to make sure they are heard and centered. I know some people think that centering Black voices means neglecting other voices, but the center doesn't have to be as small as it currently is. The groups most affected should have a bigger voice. Having made that point, I want to also emphasize that these essays work very well toward bringing people into the issues. They are short, to the point, and accessibly written. Each has a works cited page so readers can delve deeper into the area(s) they feel they can be most effective in. I think by keeping the essays short and focused they are more welcoming for those of us ignorant of many of the fields involved. This book works very well as a source of knowledge and information so the reader can better understand what needs to be done. But I think of it more as a call to action, for the reader to work to make the change needed and not simply better understand what needs doing. I would recommend this to anyone who wants society to be better in every way for every person. I particularly recommend this to people in communities of color who might wonder why some issues they think of as distant are much closer to home than they think. I also believe those experts in these fields need to read this and understand that the status quo is not, and really never was, working or sufficient. Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

A wonderful overview of all the issues the community and culture faces. Each section highlights the main points and should we want more information, we can go to the works cited for more information.

Tackling issues such as Climate, Health Care, Wellness, Education, Technology, Criminal Justice, Economy, and Public Policy "The Black Agenda" goes beyond showing how Black people are negatively impacted but also gives solutions on how to get better. The Black Agenda highlights Black experts in these spaces who are often left out of the conversation while the spotlight is shone on their white counterparts. These essays aren't all from a heteronormative perspective. We hear the voices from the LGBTQ community and the disabled community too.