Dog Lover's Trivia

Weird and Wacky Facts about Our Canine Friends

Pub Date 28 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 26 Oct 2021

Talking about this book? Use #DogLoversTrivia #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Dog Lover’s Trivia is an irresistible potpourri of canine facts, embracing the essential, the trivial, the intriguing, and the extraordinary.

Schott’s Original Miscellany was a publishing phenomenon. It sired a host of sequels and parodies. But no matter how patiently and for how many years they begged, the potential canine readership was continually left to pine. Until now.

Dog Lover’s Trivia is how the original would have appeared had its creator been an obsessive dog owner. Or, indeed, a very literate dog. It parodies the randomness of entry and stylishness of design of the original, but is created entirely for dogs and their doting owners and admirers. The result is a fascinating collection of dog-related facts, including gems such as:

Dog epigraphsThe origins of dog namesAn international guide to the word “dog”The oldest dogWeights and breedsCrufts winnersAesop’s fabled dogsMost popular breedsDog bite statisticsLassieAnd dogs on the Titanic

The perfect coffee table book to paw through at random or the latest addition to the satire section of your home library, Dog Lover’s Trivia is, in short, the perfect companion for your perfect companion.

Schott’s Original Miscellany was a publishing phenomenon...

EDITION Hardcover

Back in the day charity shop shelves in the UK were stuffed with copies of Schott's Miscellany and all the thousands of offshoot volumes. I loved them, but they were hardly the kind of thing to leave on your shelves until the non-existent day you re-read them, and found them out of date. But the series lacked specific volumes concerning the other members of the household, and hence there were a "Sock's Feline Miscellany" and a "Spott's Canine" variant – both made by someone else, and both of which now retitled and brought to us afresh. That's as "afresh" as something containing 2006 doggy ownership data could be... The pair of volumes at hand certainly keep the aesthetic and ethics of the originals, in that they are quite densely typeset, serious forms of trivia book. Nothing is over a full side, if that, and the gallimaufry of content comes at you with no structure – the subjects changing twice a page on average in very random fashion. One spread here covers the anatomy of the dog (complete with the etymology of a croupier, quite marvellously), the Iditarod race, Rin Tin Tin's origins as a knitted billet-doux, and more. That more includes a couple of cut and pastes, or reversals, of the data as featured in the cat volume, but we can forgive that in a book this rich and fun to read. It may well be the case that the entity most edified by this is the dog-lover's bathroom windowsill, but I can't really object to my time spent perusing either of these volumes.

This was a fun easy read and gave some interesting trivia facts about dogs which I would never have thought of. I was given an advance copy by the publishers and netgalley but the review is entirely my own