Branded

Pub Date 16 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 15 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Branded #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Henry Murphy’s parents never told him he was from another realm. They couldn’t, because they have become as unaware as Henry. Everything was forgotten—memories siphoned away by the dark force that stalked them. For the last seventeen years, Henry has been living a lie.

All those years of hiding have been compromised. Henry’s parents fled as refugees after stealing the location of the furnace—a source of power that would have allowed the Nekura uncontested rule over all life. But with their memories silenced, the Nekura have closed in on them unnoticed.

The first warning was the screaming girl. After she broke into Henry’s high school classroom and screamed for him to run, she was hauled away and disappeared. The only friend Henry finds to help him is Charley, a strong-willed orphan girl with a fractured past.

Henry is thrust into a reality he never knew existed and must fight against sinister creatures he cannot touch for reasons he doesn’t understand. What he doesn’t know can still hurt him, and it is hunting him down. Their only hope is the Light—a legendary force that bestows intangible power for those connected to it. Henry must uncover the shrouded memory of his family’s past and race to find the furnace before the Nekura tear his family apart and destroy both worlds in the process. Henry will learn the heartache of the forgotten, the joy of the reclaimed, strength beyond himself, and the unbreakable ties that bind family together.

Advance Praise

"Humphrey crafts an excellent, fast-moving thriller that forges new paths in the realm of supernatural fantasy thrillers, melding three genres into an inspection that is vividly presented and filled with satisfying twists and turns....YA fantasy readers seeking nonstop action and the twists and questions of a thriller, as well as many an adult seeking a compelling crossover read, will find Branded hard to put down from beginning to end. It's a highly recommended pick for young adult into adult fantasy and thriller readers alike." -- D. Donovan, Senior Reviewer, Midwest Book Review

"It is extremely rare for me to be at a loss for words, but here I am, gobsmacked and blown away by Branded. Joseph T. Humphrey is an exceptionally gifted storyteller and, paired with a plot and characters he's turned from ink into flesh, this series is a winner. I'll spare you the pun connecting that last sentence to an inkblot but, trust me, you will want to know when you get to chapter 161. There is tension on every single page. There is intrigue, fear, conspiracy, gremlins, war, mashed potatoes in safe houses, and school receptionists with beehive hair. I was most impressed with the personalities given to even the most ancillary characters, and the running dialogue feels organic. As a reader, it takes a great deal of trust to embark on a new fantasy series. Branded is well worth your trust and pays out fantastically. I am so excited to see the direction we are hurtled into next." -- Asher Syed, Reviewer, Reader's Favorite

Joseph succeeded in “creating an entire world and filling it with people and emotions and heart.” –Jill Twist, The Editorial Department

Marketing Plan

Watch the first of three official Branded book trailers through NetGalley before it is publicly released! Click on the link below.

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781955729024

The world that Humphrey has given us is utterly captivating. Branded is filled with characters that are bursting with life, beautiful imagery that takes you to an entirely different world, and a pacing that leaves this book completely unputdownable, I found the characters very easy to relate to, and enjoyed the dynamic between Henry and his friends. The storyline itself was really well executed. Issues and problems that arose were explored really well, and while there was always plenty going on it never felt like things were packed in their just for the sake of creating an inciting incident. Every happening had purpose, and was delivered really well. Thanks to NetGalley and Intrepid Pen for providing me with an ARC of Branded. I can't wait for the next in the series.

Humphrey painted a wonderful world that quickly pulls in the reader and transports them to another world. The pace is active to keep the reader engaged. Characters were relatable. I look forward to future stories from this author.