You See a Zoo, I See…

Pub Date 08 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #YouSeeaZooISee #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

At the zoo, animals in action aren't always what they seem!

When you're at the zoo, do you see scary crocodiles? Chimpanzees being silly? Look again! A young narrator makes the rounds of a zoo, pointing out that animals have special reasons for doing what they do. The crocodile is protecting her babies, and the chimpanzees are learning by trying new things. Animals protect, play, bathe, and communicate in different ways. Even the zookeeper isn't just a zookeeper. . .she's the narrator's mom!

A picture book that challenges kids to think beyond their first impressions--in a warm and eye-opening read perfect for storytime.
At the zoo, animals in action aren't always what they seem!

Zoo is a clear winner with kids. My daughter, like most 3.5-year-old, loves animals and adores books about them. This is a cute picture book about a family visiting the zoo, and we had a great time reading it and remembering the last time we spent a Sunday in the zoo ourselves. Nice illustrations, short text, plenty of animals to talk about. Many thanks to NetGalley and Charlesbridge for an Advance Review Copy.

This is a Cute Children's Book that I read to my twin boys. I found this book to be super cute, and my boys loved it. The pictures where so great, and the pictures just made the book come to life. This book shows you people can see the same thing, but they can think something different is happening. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Charlesbridge Publishing) or author (Mike Downs) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that. This book is schedule to be release on February 15-2022.

I work with kids and they loved this story. The drawings are beautiful and the story flows nicely. Its a great book to teach kids the real side of animals that they don't necessarily know about.

This book was charming, blending entertainment and education in a fun adventure to the zoo. A science based book about a little girl's trip to the local zoo turns into a fact filled, myth-dispelling, rhyming romp. Classrooms should add this to their animal science shelves. The MC is a young black girl, which is such a great way to have representation of racial groups in children's books. Also, having a girl as the lead in a science book is fantastic too, since women are very underrepresented in the sciences. The girl takes us through the elephant exhibit, then on to the crocs, chimps and bats and more. For each animal she shares some of the typical behaviors or beliefs about that animal and then gives a scientific explanation for why the animals do what they do or why they are that way. For example, for elephants, she talks about how they play in the mud and splash in the water and then explains that doing so keeps baby elephants cool in the heat and keeps bugs off their skin. The prose flows in rhyme, with simple text. There isn't a whole lot of hard vocabulary which makes it a book that early readers can read independently. The illustrations are beautifully painted and are very realistic too, which is great for this kind of book. Having very cartoonish images would have detracted from the science theme. On many of the animals you can even see all the individual hairs painted in great detail. This is one for all the animal loving, budding zoologists! Not to miss.

When your mom works at the zoo, you have the opportunity to many different things than a normal visitor would see. If your child loves the zoo and animals, they will love the perspective of this picture book. The behind the scenes of the zoo just shows how much we miss when we are just visitors of the zoo. A special thank you to Charlesbridge and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review

You See a Zoo, I See…by Michael Downs is a nicely written and beautifully illustrated book about life at the zoo. The illustrations were my favorite. This would be a great book for any type of story time. Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read this book. (My review is also on Goodreads.)

When you go to the zoo what do u see? What do u really see? Do u see agressive lions or scary crocodiles or do u see something more beautyfull? A little boy goes to the zoo and see this beautyfull wild animals. What he really sees are animals who have a instinct to protect their children, feeling love and are caring creatures. If your children love wild animals this could be the first book about  wild animals. We see several animals in this book and it would be nice when more will follow. So that your children has a lovely serie on his first bookshelf. The poetry and the bright illustrations will make U love this book.

I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I liked the concept of this book and the pictures were awesome. I especially loved the pages with the chimps. So detailed and informative. The rhythm seemed a little off after the first page it changed quite a bit. I don't think it had to be as sing-songy as it was to keep the attention of kids. I didn't mind it though.

This was a great tale for children, it was a lovely story with beautiful pictures. We enjoyed reading this at bedtime, it was a lovely tale, we would definitely read more from this author

My daughter really liked this book and kept asking questions about the animals throughout. There was a nice little twist at the end that made for a nice ending. The diversity showed in the illustrations was also great for kids to see different types of people. Some that may look like them and some that may be different. But they are all enjoying the same activity.

I l oved this book. The artwork by Maureen O'Brien is beautiful. I felt like I was AT the zoo with the characters. I appreciated the diverse families and this will be a cute book to read to my new niece or nephew when they arrive! If I had to pick a favorite part I would choose the bats becuase bats are one of my favorite animals. I'm so glad they were included. It's a charming book and I'm probably going to flip through it a few more times.

I received an electronic ARC from Charlesbridge through NetGalley. Downs offers a rhythmic look at animals in the zoo. The narrator first shares the common view that many see when they visit the zoo animals. She then twists it to show what she sees - family units being together. This offers a way to see animals caring for each other in their groups. Behaviors that seem fierce or scary are actually protective of the younger members of the animal's family. The illustrations bring the animals to life and offer a look at human expressions as they visit the zoo. Readers learn that the narrator's mother is a zookeeper and that she gets to help every week. A great read aloud to make connections to ways human families nurture each other too.

This was so cute! As a Librarian when I read children's books I always keep the question of "will this work as a story-time book?' in the back of my head and I'm happy to say that yes! This WILL work as a Storytime book! It was colorful, fun, cute, and easy to understand so all ages can enjoy this. I will be recommending my library purchases this as soon as it is released.