The Night Train to Berlin

Pub Date 25 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022
Harper 360, One More Chapter

Talking about this book? Use #TheNightTraintoBerlin #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

‘A mesmerising story of love and hope…the best book that I have read this year’ Penny, Reader Review

The most heartbreaking historical fiction novel you will read this year from the USA Today bestseller!

A train journey into the past
A love that echoes through time

Paddington Station, present day

A young woman boards the sleeper train to Cornwall with only a beautiful emerald silk evening dress and an old, well-read diary full of sketches. Ellie Nightingale is a shy violinist who plays like her heart is broken. But when she meets fellow passenger Joe she feels like she has been given that rarest of gifts…a second chance.

Paddington Station, 1944

Beneath the shadow of the war which rages across Europe, Alex and Eliza meet by chance. She is a gutsy painter desperate to get to the frontline as a war artist and he is a wounded RAF pilot now commissioned as a war correspondent. With time slipping away they make only one promise: to meet in Berlin when this is all over. But this is a time when promises are hard to keep, and hope is all you can hold in your heart.

From a hidden Cornish cove to the blood-soaked beaches of Normandy in June 1944, this is an epic love story like no other. Perfect for fans of Pam Jenoff, Kate Quinn, Rachel Hore and Kate Furnivall.

Readers are absolutely loving this book:

Everyone needs to get aboard, The Night Train to Berlin! It is a fascinating tale that keeps you riveted to the very last page’ Jenny

‘This book just caught me by the heart…I felt so caught up in the lives of these wonderful women that I was gutted when it came to the end. I wanted more!’ Jenn

‘I made it five sentences into this story, and I knew I would be hooked…exceptional’ Mikkayla

‘Toot! Toot! All aboard! In every chapter there’s a giant hug reaching out from the pagesYou MUST read this book – it’s historical fiction at its finest!’ Norma

‘Paints a vivid picture not only of beautiful Cornwall but of the horrors of WWII …The danger and uncertainty, the fatigue, the pain, the love, the loss – all seem real’ Sally

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9780008420932

Book received for free through NetGalley This was a sweet, sad, adorable, and heart wrenching book that switched perspectives between World War Two and present day. I easily fell in love with the characters and wish I could follow along for longer to learn more.

This is one of those rare dual-time books where I loved both sets of characters and stories. They both draw you in, leaving you wanting more when the time switches. A love story for the ages, passionate romances and war-time drama, this book left me satisfied yet wanting to spend more time with these wonderful characters that I had grown to love too.