Roosevelt Banks and the Attic of Doom

Pub Date 01 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 15 Apr 2022
Red Chair Press, One Elm Books

Talking about this book? Use #redchairpress #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

After his plan to move into a fort in the woods fails, and a ghost-busting exercise goes terribly wrong, Roosevelt—with the help of Tommy, Josh, and Eddie Spaghetti—has to find the courage to defeat the biggest, spookiest ghouls ever and turn the Attic of Doom into a Room with a View.

Marketing Plan

National advertising and Advance reviews

National advertising and Advance reviews

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781947159709

Send To Kindle (PDF)

I received an advance copy of, Roosevelt Banks and the Attic of Doom, by Laurie Calkhoven. Roosevelt is on summer vacation, his attic is getting renovated. Roosevelt and his friends are on ghost patrol. This is a great book for kids,

A laugh-out-loud delight that also riffs on realistic issues such as the arrival of a newborn, and friends' going down divergent paths, ROOSEVELT BANKS AND THE ATTIC OF DOOM showcases a bright youngster and his loving family and loyal friends. Son of two American History professors, Roosevelt has an annoying younger sister, Kennedy, and a perfectly acceptable bedroom. New flash: there's another baby on the way, and it's not just the newborn baby rabbits at the neighbor's for which Roosevelt and his friends help care for. This baby will supplant poor Roosevelt, and he'll be moving on upstairs: to the dreaded, ghost-ridden, ATTIC OF DOOM.

Roosevelt Banks has great plans for his summer - the summer of Dad! But things are quickly derailed when Roosevelt’s parents tell him he’s going to be a big brother (again!) and the summer will be spent renovating their spooky, haunted attic to make room for the new baby. Though the summer he has isn’t the summer he planned, it ends up being even better than he imagined. Pet bunnies, prank wars, fort buildings and the big stink provide fun for all in this cute middle grade book. I enjoyed the illustrations as well. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this book.

Great children's book. The author has written a cute spooky story that is humorous and a delight to read.

Ten-year-old Roosevelt Banks can't wait for summer. Mom will be working, his little sister will be at day care, and it will be a SUMMER OF DAD. Unfortunately, his father already has plans -- remodeling THE ATTIC OF DOOM into Roosevelt's new bedroom. Can Roosevelt convince them this is a bad idea? Or will he be forced to move in with the ghosts that want to take over his body? I just could not put down this book! I loved watching Roosevelt trying to find solutions to his ghost problem. I found the characters very relatable and enjoyable. My only real comment is that I would have loved to have seen Roosevelt's story as it's own chapter, with the narrative stuff tacked onto the end of the previous one. I also wanted to know what happened to his story. Did his parents ever read it? Did he end up using it to apply to the program at the library? If so, did he end up participating? Overall, I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading others in this series. Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for an honest review.

With a new sister on the way, Roosevelt Banks has to give up his bedroom and move into the attic, which must be haunted because of all the squeaks and groans coming from the spooky place at the top of the stairs. After his plan to move into a fort in the woods fails, and a ghost-busting exercise goes terribly wrong, Roosevelt--with the help of Tommy, Josh, and Eddie Spaghetti--has to find the courage to defeat the biggest, spookiest ghouls ever and turn the Attic of Doom into a Room with a View. This was such a lighthearted and fun read and was a great way to get into the spooky, Halloween spirit. Calkhoven’s characters were interesting and at times hilarious and it was a real trip down memory lane when life was a lot less complicated and all you had to worry about were looking uncool in front of the popular kids and those pesky ghouls in the attic. A solid middle-grade spookfest. #bookreviewsbymrsc #rooseveltbanksandtheatticofdoom #lauriecalkhoven

This is a children’s middle grade fiction book. There’s humor, friendships, family drama, new baby/big brother issues, and ghosts. Roosevelt is a 10 year old boy who is excited about his summer with his dad. That is until he finds out he is going to be a big brother again and now has to move into the attic. Roosevelt has strong feelings about not moving into the attic with all it’s ghosts. He try’s to convince his parents that it would be a bad idea. When that doesn’t work he enlists his friends to help him figure out a way. His friends are not always so nice. There are dares and threats of being called a chicken. This is a pretty realistic story that children will likely relate to. This would be a great one for boys since there is a group of boys and the main character is a boy! If you have a elementary/middle grade child then this might be something for them. A great read for the holiday season or if your child is going to be a big brother/sister.

4.2 Stars Roosevelt plans his summer to spend a great time with his dad. However, it seems impossible with a new baby on the way, and most importantly, the shifting of Roosevelt’s room to the attic. Everyone knows the attic has ghosts. The kid is terrified, of course. His friends offer a shoulder to lean on, but what else can they do? As Roosevelt tries to prove the existence of ghosts to his parents, he has to find a way to be rid of the ghosts as well. He also has to feed the bunnies and take his four-year-old sister to play with the bunnies thrice a day. The twin bullies are another headache to deal with. Will Roosevelt’s summer be how he wants? What new adventures does the boy face? The book is a lighthearted middle-grade paranormal adventure with babies in abundance. There are a handful of illustrations, some of which are super cute. I loved the ones with Kennedy (Roosevelt’s sister). The writing is cute and funny. Roosevelt is a nice little narrator with a good sense of humor. He and his friends have some cool adventures too! His relationship with his family and friends was lovely to read. Kennedy is a star. That girl adds so much sparkle (literally) to the book. I do plan to pick the first book someday and hopefully read the next ones whenever they are available. To sum up, Roosevelt Banks and the Attic of Doom is a light and humorous MG fiction. Kids who like ghosts, mischief, bunnies, and silly adventures will enjoy the book. I received an ARC from NetGalley, Red Chair Press, and One Elm Books and am voluntarily leaving a review.

Roosevelt Banks is ready for The Summer of Dad! He's going to spend his summer break adventuring with Dad. Or so he thought... It's starting to seem more like the summer of....ghosts? Roosevelt has a new baby sister on the way who is taking over his room for her nursery. Now Roosevelt is exiled to the attic. The HAUNTED attic, mind you. Fabulous. Will Roosevelt be taken away by ghosts, or can he and his friends force them out of the house? This was such an adorable read that kids will love - especially those newer older siblings!

Absolutely adorable! I enjoyed this read. I have to say Tommy is my favorite. It was an easy read that I know upper elementary and middle grades would enjoy. Will definitely be recommending to fellow teachers. It was descriptive and well written and spoke from the fifth grade perspective in a manner which made you truly go back in time. This book excited the under fifth grader in me.

"Teachers were tricky that way, always trying to sneak some learning in..." Roosevelt Banks and the Attic of Doom is full of humor and adventure. But while camping out like a mountain man and building a fort with his friends, Roosevelt sneaks in some important lessons about being a good friend and big brother. This would be a great summer vacation read for upper elementary and middle school students.

I received a copy of this children’s book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. It was a quick and fun children story. Great for both boys and girls, mostly for younger audience though. I am a bit sad that there wasn’t any real ghosts lurking around but the friendships and family ties were adorable! 🙂