The Deep Blue Between

Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 31 Jan 2022
Lerner Publishing Group, Carolrhoda Lab ®

Talking about this book? Use #TheDeepBlueBetween #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Twin sisters Hassana and Husseina have always shared their lives.

But after a raid on their village in 1892, the twins are torn apart. Taken in different directions, far from their home in rural West Africa, each sister finds freedom and a new start. Hassana settles in in the city of Accra, where she throws herself into working for political and social change. Husseina travels to Salvador, Brazil, where she becomes immersed in faith, worshipping spirits that bridge the motherland and the new world. Separated by an ocean, they forge new families, ward off dangers, and begin to truly know themselves.

As the twins pursue their separate paths, they remain connected through their shared dreams. But will they ever manage to find each other again?

Twin sisters Hassana and Husseina have always shared their lives.

Advance Praise

“Uplifting . . . sizzles with sister-love and magic. What an incredible storyteller!” - YABA BADOE, author of A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars

This is such a beautiful story of how two twins who are forcefully separated work to find one another again. Each girl goes on her own journey through childhood, adolescence, and then teenage years. They are twins, but each grows into her own person with her own passions and strengths. They lead their own lives and make their own paths. Their journeys to self discovery is so real and powerful. This is such a well done and beautiful book (and that cover is simply gorgeous). I would definitely recommend this book to my friends. Thank you to Ayesha Harruna Attah, Lerner Publishing, and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This book was a love story between sisters and the diaspora. Attah’s language was haunting and beautiful, I can’t wait to read more as this was the first book I’ve read by them. I also LOVED the idea of spirit connecting two separated souls (or maybe I was reading too deeply into that).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. We read the story of two twins who are separated after being kidnapped and held captive. As they grew older, found their own families, and recognized the importance of their twin power, readers went on quite the ride. I appreciate that the storyline was not predictable. Readers got the perspectives of both twins, Hassana and Husseina. Though the sea separated them, they were bonded by their dreams and twin connections. The power of family and the love of sisters is beautiful. Their established communities and families were also a delight to meet and get to know.

I absolutely loved this book! I enjoyed how the author wrote about both characters' perspectives and the historical context of this book was amazing! I highly recommend this YA book.

The Deep Blue Between is wonderfully historical, rich with character and detail, and well worth sharing with readers (young and old).

This was an incredible story, sometimes sad but sometimes comforting. The pacing was a bit slow at times but worked with the story. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book

A beautiful and rich story following twin sisters who were tragically separated at childhood Twin sisters Hassan and Husseina are separated during their childhood after a raid of their village. The story switches between both sisters points of view and follows their journey as they grow up along different paths. Hassana, ends up in Accra where she learns english and works toward social change. While Husseina is taken to Brazil where she was taken in by a Candomblé group, and adopts the name Vitóra. Both sisters retain a connection to one another through dreams, and this is how Hassana comes to find out her sister is in Brasil. Being separated by an ocean, as well as different cultures, Will the sisters be reunited? I enjoyed the culturally rich story following both Hassana and Husseina’s journey through childhood to adolescence and finally into adulthood. Although the sisters retain their connection to each other their experiences differ drastically and these experiences are what shape them into unique individuals. Seeing each sister’s journey and their growth kept me reading to see if they would be united, and when they were how they would get along. I appreciated that I could read and learn about a new context of history that I wasn’t familiar with and loved the cast of rich characters that supported both sisters through their Journeys. I did find the switch between first person (for Hassana’s story) and third person (for Husseina’s story) a bit difficult to switch between at times, and also made it difficult for me at times to really connect with Huseeina. Overall the book shows the strength of the sisters and how they meet and overcome the challenges in their world to find what they really want, so I would definitely recommend it.