On a Night Like This

Pub Date 18 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 08 Feb 2022
Harper 360, HarperCollins

Talking about this book? Use #OnaNightLikeThis #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Don’t miss the unforgettable new romcom, a whirlwind Cinderella love story, available to pre-order now!

Within days of wishing she could change her life, Fran Cooper is leaving rainy England to become acting assistant to a famous singer, on a yacht in the Mediterranean. Their destination is a tiny Italian island that’s hosting the biggest celebrity gala of the season—the Crystal Ball.

And while not everything about her new role goes precisely to plan, when she— quite literally—bumps into tall, dark and handsome Evan, a man able to keep his cool in the face of chaos, the magic really begins.

Evan makes her a promise: no last names, no life stories, just one unforgettable night. Wearing a designer dress and drinking champagne, Fran is soon a million miles away from life back in the UK.

And that’s the problem: Evan belongs at the Crystal Ball and Fran is a gatecrasher. They may be soulmates, but their homes are an ocean apart, their lives a world apart. They’ll never meet again—unless, on a night like this, everything can change forever…

Praise for On a Night Like This:

“The kind of book you can’t put down but also want to last forever. Kelk’s signature wit and clever prose—along with her complicated, loveable characters—are at their very best here”—Emily Henry, bestselling author of Beach Read

“I fell head over heels in love with this modern fairytale. So funny, so romantic, so charming – the perfect book to curl up with when you want to escape the real world”—Beth O’Leary, bestselling author of The Flatshare

“The literary equivalent of opening a bottle of wine with your best friend”—Mhairi McFarlane, bestselling author of Just Last Night

Available to pre-order now!

EDITION Paperback

I absolutely ADORED this book. I'm a sucker for pop culture references so this was right up my alley. A Met Gala parody event with constant name drops is my dream. And I loved every single character in this novel(except for Stew but I feel like that's a given). I love the dynamic between Juliette and Fran, as well as all the grandiose aspects of the Crystal Ball. Such a fun and swoon-worthy read.

This was such an incredibly fun retelling of Cinderella! I really loved that it wasn’t ALL about the romance, but instead explored friendship, work woes and independence. Ultimately, the happy ending is very happy, but it wasn’t what I expected from a Cinderella story in the best way. I found myself truly laughing out loud for so much of this book, and fell-in-friend with Fran. She absolutely deserved the world and I’m thrilled with how it all wrapped up. (Also, the Crystal Ball?! Yes I’d like an invite!) I only wish this book was coming out in November so everyone could enjoy this for the holiday season! I will absolutely be mentioning this book in my October wrap up video, but until then, thanks so much to NetGalley and HarperCollins for sending me this book!

This book was captivating! I could not put it down! Felt like I was really in the scene of the crystal ball! So good and couldn’t put it down!

This was the friendship novel I didn't know I needed. Truly, the romantic plot line isn't the most important aspect of the book, and surprisingly, I didn't care! Women's friendships are so precious, and to spend time with characters who are supportive of one another was such a nice treat. Well done, Lindsey!

ARC provided by Netgalley for an honest review. On A Night Like This follows Fran who works as a personal assistant. She receives a job offer to assist a high profile celebrity for one week. Within the week abroad with her client, she discovers new friends, battles her own thoughts on her relationship and meets a potential love interest. I found this to be a sweet and charming story about a woman that faces quite a few struggles before realizing it's okay to be herself and want things her way for a change. Fran was likable and entertaining. The story was decently paced and held my attention.

Francesca lives with her fiance' in his hometown, trying to find temp work as the holiday season begins. When her best friend challenges her to do something to change her life, she reaches out to an agency that tends to have jobs out of town, something she promised her fiance' she would never take. When a big, top secret, but financially lucrative position becomes available, even though it involves traveling, Fran decides to take it. Acting as an assistant to a famous singer, and escorting her to the biggest celebrity party of the season, the Crystal Ball, With a few bumps along the way, Fran ends up at the ball and meets Evan. They decide they have 1 night... no last names, no personal details, just one amazing night. But what if it should be more than that? A story that gains some inspiration from the Cinderella story, On a Night Like This has heart and humor and so much relatability. You really feel Fran's battle of being stuck and trying to decide if it's better to start over or stay with the comfortable. This was a perfect, light-hearted story, with a bit of romance thrown in.

I love a good Cinderella story! I loved every minute of t this book. The story was not a direct Cinderella story, but had enough of the core aspects to make it one. I personally loved how Fran had her transformation on more of a personal level rather than just the surface level. And the fact that her "prince charming", Evan, was also working to make himself better, which is so rare in these stories. And Evan saw her for her, rather than the pretty version of after she was made up for the ball. I wish all stories had messages like this.

Thank you HarperCollins and Netgalley for sending me this absolutely perfect arc. Lindsey Kelk has outdone herself with this story. This is by far one of the best romance stories I have read in the longest time. I read this book in a total of six hours, I just couldn't put it down. Maybe its the fact that me and the character relate so much by both being a libra and an ISFJ, or maybe its Lindsey Kelks absolutely perfect writing.

Forget Book Boyfriends, Fran is my new Book Best Friend. I loved her. She was quick and funny and had such a heart. Every time things went badly for her my stomach knotted I cared so much about her, This book is her cinderella experience as she goes from unhappy and neglected to self empowered and adored, complete with a ball and seemingly the perfect prince. It may be a familiar journey but, like Fran, this version was special and just plain fun. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.