On a Night Like This

Pub Date 18 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 08 Feb 2022
Harper 360, HarperCollins

Talking about this book? Use #OnaNightLikeThis #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Don’t miss the unforgettable new romcom, a whirlwind Cinderella love story, available to pre-order now!

Within days of wishing she could change her life, Fran Cooper is leaving rainy England to become acting assistant to a famous singer, on a yacht in the Mediterranean. Their destination is a tiny Italian island that’s hosting the biggest celebrity gala of the season—the Crystal Ball.

And while not everything about her new role goes precisely to plan, when she— quite literally—bumps into tall, dark and handsome Evan, a man able to keep his cool in the face of chaos, the magic really begins.

Evan makes her a promise: no last names, no life stories, just one unforgettable night. Wearing a designer dress and drinking champagne, Fran is soon a million miles away from life back in the UK.

And that’s the problem: Evan belongs at the Crystal Ball and Fran is a gatecrasher. They may be soulmates, but their homes are an ocean apart, their lives a world apart. They’ll never meet again—unless, on a night like this, everything can change forever…

Praise for On a Night Like This:

“The kind of book you can’t put down but also want to last forever. Kelk’s signature wit and clever prose—along with her complicated, loveable characters—are at their very best here”—Emily Henry, bestselling author of Beach Read

“I fell head over heels in love with this modern fairytale. So funny, so romantic, so charming – the perfect book to curl up with when you want to escape the real world”—Beth O’Leary, bestselling author of The Flatshare

“The literary equivalent of opening a bottle of wine with your best friend”—Mhairi McFarlane, bestselling author of Just Last Night

Available to pre-order now!

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

I absolutely ADORED this book. I'm a sucker for pop culture references so this was right up my alley. A Met Gala parody event with constant name drops is my dream. And I loved every single character in this novel(except for Stew but I feel like that's a given). I love the dynamic between Juliette and Fran, as well as all the grandiose aspects of the Crystal Ball. Such a fun and swoon-worthy read.

This was such an incredibly fun retelling of Cinderella! I really loved that it wasn’t ALL about the romance, but instead explored friendship, work woes and independence. Ultimately, the happy ending is very happy, but it wasn’t what I expected from a Cinderella story in the best way. I found myself truly laughing out loud for so much of this book, and fell-in-friend with Fran. She absolutely deserved the world and I’m thrilled with how it all wrapped up. (Also, the Crystal Ball?! Yes I’d like an invite!) I only wish this book was coming out in November so everyone could enjoy this for the holiday season!

I will absolutely be mentioning this book in my October wrap up video, but until then, thanks so much to NetGalley and HarperCollins for sending me this book!

This book was captivating! I could not put it down! Felt like I was really in the scene of the crystal ball! So good and couldn’t put it down!

This was the friendship novel I didn't know I needed. Truly, the romantic plot line isn't the most important aspect of the book, and surprisingly, I didn't care! Women's friendships are so precious, and to spend time with characters who are supportive of one another was such a nice treat. Well done, Lindsey!

ARC provided by Netgalley for an honest review.
On A Night Like This follows Fran who works as a personal assistant. She receives a job offer to assist a high profile celebrity for one week. Within the week abroad with her client, she discovers new friends, battles her own thoughts on her relationship and meets a potential love interest. I found this to be a sweet and charming story about a woman that faces quite a few struggles before realizing it's okay to be herself and want things her way for a change. Fran was likable and entertaining. The story was decently paced and held my attention.

Francesca lives with her fiance' in his hometown, trying to find temp work as the holiday season begins. When her best friend challenges her to do something to change her life, she reaches out to an agency that tends to have jobs out of town, something she promised her fiance' she would never take. When a big, top secret, but financially lucrative position becomes available, even though it involves traveling, Fran decides to take it. Acting as an assistant to a famous singer, and escorting her to the biggest celebrity party of the season, the Crystal Ball, With a few bumps along the way, Fran ends up at the ball and meets Evan. They decide they have 1 night... no last names, no personal details, just one amazing night. But what if it should be more than that?

A story that gains some inspiration from the Cinderella story, On a Night Like This has heart and humor and so much relatability. You really feel Fran's battle of being stuck and trying to decide if it's better to start over or stay with the comfortable. This was a perfect, light-hearted story, with a bit of romance thrown in.

I love a good Cinderella story! I loved every minute of t this book. The story was not a direct Cinderella story, but had enough of the core aspects to make it one. I personally loved how Fran had her transformation on more of a personal level rather than just the surface level. And the fact that her "prince charming", Evan, was also working to make himself better, which is so rare in these stories. And Evan saw her for her, rather than the pretty version of after she was made up for the ball. I wish all stories had messages like this.

Thank you HarperCollins and Netgalley for sending me this absolutely perfect arc.

Lindsey Kelk has outdone herself with this story. This is by far one of the best romance stories I have read in the longest time. I read this book in a total of six hours, I just couldn't put it down. Maybe its the fact that me and the character relate so much by both being a libra and an ISFJ, or maybe its Lindsey Kelks absolutely perfect writing.

Forget Book Boyfriends, Fran is my new Book Best Friend. I loved her. She was quick and funny and had such a heart. Every time things went badly for her my stomach knotted I cared so much about her, This book is her cinderella experience as she goes from unhappy and neglected to self empowered and adored, complete with a ball and seemingly the perfect prince. It may be a familiar journey but, like Fran, this version was special and just plain fun.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

On a Night Like This was a combo of romcom and chick lit that I was fully here for. This is the kind of book that makes you believe in magic!
Thank you to Netgalley and Harper360/HarperCollins for this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

A remarkable romantic novel by the marvelous Lindsey Kelk will make even the toughest cynic believe in love again! I enjoyed every second of this glamorous story, with the protagonists coming from entirely different worlds yet eventually seeking the same thing, a human connection.

A modern fairy tale for adults? Nevermind my swooning, let me instead share how I was almost immediately won over by this lovely, contemporary Cinderella-esque story.

I absolutely adored this one; it was a wonderful read, from the first page to the last, and made me laugh out loud at several points.

This was my first book by the author, if you can believe it; and I’m looking forward to reading her previous titles. After this book, I’m an absolute fan.

Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC I’m exchange for my honest review.
On a Night Like This is a sweet little rom com about a girl, a guy, and the crystal ball which the THE hottest ticket in town.
Fran cooper is a temp stick in a rut. She’s got a fiancé she’s not sure she should be with anymore. So when the opportunity to take an out of town PA gig comes her way, she jumps at the chance to get a reset and reassess her life. A fun Cinderella style romp, I enjoyed it thoroughly!

This book was like a warm hug in December! It was magic and sparkly and so sweet. Fran is an amazing protagonist- fully in control of her own narrative. I loved the way the story progressed, and the play on the Met Gala was truly so good. I liked that, despite the unnatural circumstances, Fran's perspective and character made the story still believable and grounded. The love interest was charming and the chemistry was spot on. I really enjoyed this book and it got me out of my reading slump!

A delightfully humorous read, this book is a treat. I just loved Fran. She’s smart, funny, and caring; a little too caring but the story takes us through her self-realization, her growth, and finally, her finding true love. While the love story isn’t the main theme, the HEA is swoon worthy. Plus it’s at Christmas and who can resist all the Cinderella vibes.

Really enjoyed this swoony romance from Lindsey Kelk - the Mediterranean setting was great, and I desperately wanted Fran to get away from her terrible relationship. I love reading romance/women's fiction from a British POV and this was no exception. Fran's voice was so strong and I loved her take on the opulence around her as a seasoned professional assistant, and how she handled herself amongst celebrity and wealth.

Magical, humorous, and perfectly enchanting, On a Night Like This is the Cinderella retelling you didn’t know you needed. Full of laughs and friendships that will last a life time, Lindsey Kelk has written an ADORABLE must-read novel.

I loved this book!! I read it all it one sitting because I could not put it down. It was the perfect romcom to get me out of my reading slump. I really loved the plot and how it included both romance and friendship. I highly recommend this book!

This is a super cute Cinderella type story! Fran is a very relatable character and the story line had many hilarious moments! I found myself cracking up throughout the book. I loved getting a sneak peak inside the lavish world of celebrities and seeing how Fran interacts in her new environment as she's figuring out what she wants in life. Plus, throw a love story on top of that and you've got On a Night Like This!

I truly believe this was a beautifully written book. This was a fairy tale and felt easy to fall into this book. The romance was just like a fairy tale love story and I loved it. It was a very easy read.

Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

i love lindsey kelk's writing nd i can't wait to read more from her backlist in the future. this was such a sweet and gentle romance and i loved every single second of it!! thanks lindsey and netgalley!!!

LOVED THIS!!! This was such an adorable upbeat romcom type of book. I just absolutely devoured every page of this book. I cannot wait for it to come out so I can purchase a physical copy for myself!! I truly thought the characters were real and I was with them. It was a phenomenal story!!

On a Night Like This is such a fun, light and humorous read.

I enjoyed how the book was broken up into two chunks -- one with Juliette and the other with Evan.
I thought Kelk had a phenomenal way of making Fran extremely down-to-earth and lovable.

I thought this was a great take on a cinderella story!

Fran's fiance might be cheating on her, and she's working crap temp jobs. Her life isn't going anywhere so Fran decides to take a one week top secret job that pays a tonne of money. So, when she becomes a PA to a celebrity, she has her hands full.

Gatecrashing the most exclusive party of the year, she meets Evan. The catch? No last names, no personal info exchanged. Just enjoy the night, and speak freely, no strings attached.

This was a Cinderella story done right with plenty of laughs and some swoon worthy moments.

Thanks Netgalley for the ARC!

So good!

This was such a great rom-com! I loved every second of this book! The romance was cute and fun and all-around charming. I loved Fran and getting to read along as she discovered more about what she truly wanted. Though this book was an insta love I was still fairly entertained throughout. Overall I liked this book; it gave me Cinderella vibes for sure!

This was so delightful!

I just adored Fran! I loved getting to know her as she explored herself. She was charming and delightful and I loved how she approached challenges head on.

I would say this is not a super romance-y romance, the love interest comes in very late in the story but I would say it is a self love story. I think that could turn some off but it was just so easy and light that I was enthralled and did not want to stop reading.

So funny and sweet- I would definitely check out more Lindsey Kelk in the future.

Thank you NetGalley and Harper for the ARC.

This book was such a gem and thankfully pulled me out of my reading slump. I haven’t seen much about this book, but I would definitely recommend you add to your TBR.

This was such a cute and fun story with some depth to it as well. The settings were gorgeous and I felt like I was watching a movie in my head. The parts on the yacht definitely gave me Below Deck vibes. 😍

I’m a sucker for a cute romance, and this did not disappoint.

Typical beautiful story by Lindsey Kelk. One night to get to know each other, one night of no last names. Beautiful and funny this night of mystery as Fran and Evan get to know the beat of each other while trying so hard not to fall. I’d read this over and over because it makes you feel good. Definitely recommend!

such a great love story! I really enjoyed Lindsey Kelk's writing and would certainly pick up another novel by her!

A very fun sweet Cinderella retelling in modern day. No last names, no backgrounds - just living and loving in the moment. It of course backfires but it's a sweet story.

I LOVE retellings and this modern retelling of Cinderella is no different. Fran is quirky and interesting and I really liked Evan; rags-to-riches is always fun to read, but I do feel like this one was stagnant at times, though mostly charming. I could very easily see this being turned into a Netflix movie and I'd totally watch it. While this isn't something I'd necessarily consider adding to my Retellings Unit in class, this is definitely something I'd recommend to my seniors as something fun to read on their own time.

This book was so cute! I love a good fairy tale that leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy. If you want something light and fluffy, to bring you sunshine on a cloudy day this is the book.

Thank you Netgalley and the Publisher for my ARC in exchange for my honest review. This was an enjoyable book.