Sundial

Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 01 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Sundial #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“The new face of literary dark fiction.” —Sarah Pinborough, New York Times bestselling author of Behind Her Eyes

You can't escape what's in your blood...

“A true nerve-shredder that keeps its mind-blowing secrets to the very end.” —Stephen King on The Last House on Needless Street

“The new face of literary dark fiction.” —Sarah Pinborough, New York Times...

- National print and online publicity campaign

- Virtual events and convention appearances

- National advertising campaign including Goodreads, Book Riot, Fangoria, Bloody Disgusting, and The Mary Sue

- Prepublication buzz campaign including trade and consumer advertising

- Major early reader trade and consumer review campaign including advertising, major ARC mailings, giveaways via NetGalley, Shelf Awareness Pro, and Goodreads

- Digital preview

- Extensive NetGalley outreach

- Author videos

- #SUNDIAL digital marketing campaign, including author guest posts, social media promotions, targeted eblasts, and sweepstakes

- Cross promotion with Macmillan Audio

- Tor.com promotions including excerpts and review

- Library marketing campaign

- Newsletter marketing campaign

- National print and online publicity campaign

- Virtual events and convention appearances

PRICE CA$35.99 (CAD)

The Last House on Needless Street was creepy and atmospheric. It's one of the few books I've read in recent times that has stuck with me long after turning the last page. Then, Sundial was announced. That blurb sounded amazing, right? Could Catriona Ward do it again? Could she live up to the hype of The Last House on Needless Street? That's some big book shoes to fill. Well, people. Gather round. Let. Me. Tell. You. Yes!! Sundial is also engrossing and creepy and so damn amazing. I loved Callie and Rob and their complex mother and daughter relationship. There are secrets and history and the past leads firmly to the circumstances of the present and everything ties together with a grim kind of book magic. After The Last House on Needless Street, and now Sundial, I feel like I have a front row seat for the birth of literary greatness. Catriona Ward is a name you will be hearing a lot more of, I'm sure of it. And rightfully so. Her books cut right to the core of what it means to be human, and how humans are the worst of monsters of all. I'm rushing off now to order her first two books, Rawblood (also called The Girl from Rawblood) and Little Eve. I'll also be busy marking off my calendar until 2023, when her next great novel, Looking Glass Sound will be released. I already know I'm going to love it. In the meantime though, if you haven't read The Last House on Needless Street, go and buy it! It's out now. Then, add Sundial to your TBR, you won't regret it.

I read The Last House on Needless Street, Catriona Ward’s last novel, just a little while back, and was suitably gobsmacked. It’s equal parts, audacious, heartbreaking, and creepy, a tour de force that finds Ward juggling five or six different narrators (one of whom is a cat…seriously), each more unreliable than the last. It’s a thrilling, flawless high wire act. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but holy fuck, Sundial is even better. Ward burrows her way beneath your skin, sets her barbed hooks deep, then spends 272 pages dragging those hooks out of your flesh slowly but inexorably. Sundial is part psychological horror, part desert-set gothic, and part extremely dysfunctional family drama, with a little Island of Dr. Moreau thrown in for good measure. Rob has a curdled marriage to a sometimes abusive husband, and two daughters. The oldest, Callie, has a darkness inside her that’s beginning to manifest in horrifying ways. Ways that remind Rob all too well of secrets buried in her own troubled past. And…that’s all you’re getting. Much like she did with Last House on Needless Street, Ward has concealed twists and shocks throughout Sundial. They explode like land mines, psychic shrapnel, constantly reshaping the novel, never letting you catch your breath. To give away any more than I have would be criminal. Sundial release March 1st, 2022, but is available for pre-order now. This is a must-read. In fact, anything Ward writes from now on will be a must-read for me.

Puppies, Pink Star Lamps, and Nightmares Sundial is a new, twisty psychological horror novel from Catriona Ward, author of The Last House on Needless Street. This one is even darker than that and it keeps you guessing until the end. Catriona Ward has mastered the concept that horror can come from all species,in all shapes, sizes, and ages. There are many triggers in this novel, so I don't recommend it for the sensitive. This is no mindless slasher novel, though, it's an intricately designed knot. As each convolution was untangled, the suspense grew so intense that I didn't realize I was holding my breath and had to remind myself to breathe. Though the elements in the plot are not entirely unique, some are even plucked from headlines, I've never read a book that brought them together in this way before. The author slowly, painstakingly added layer upon layer to her characters until Rob, Jack, Callie, and Annie became real to me. As chilling as the revelations were, I cared very much about their outcomes. I was honored to be given a free advanced review copy of Sundial courtesy of the author, publisher, and NetGalley. It's my privilege to share my enthusiasm for this excellent, hair-raising book.

Enjoy The Last House on Needless Street? You haven’t seen anything yet. Ward has given us another dark, psychologically horrifying novel, chock full of twists and turns. I was disoriented, upset, horrified, triggered, surprised, shocked, intrigued and just could not stop once I started reading. Add this to your 2022 TBR list.

TW: Domestic abuse, cheating, toxic relationships between parent and child, miscarriages, abuse, drug addiction, sibling drama, animal abuse, etc etc... About the book: All Rob wanted was a normal life. She almost got it, too: a husband, two kids, a nice house in the suburbs. Far from her childhood home, Sundial, hidden deep in the wild Mojave Desert. But beneath the veneer, Rob is terrified for her oldest daughter, Callie, who collects tiny bones and whispers to imaginary friends. Rob sees a darkness in Callie, one that reminds her too much of the family she left behind. Running from her past has led her directly back to it -- what’s buried at Sundial could never stay a secret forever, and Rob must risk one last trip out there to protect her family, and her future. Release Date: March 1st, 2022 Genre: Domestic Thriller Pages: 304 Rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ What I Liked: • The writing style flows so seamless • The characters are so outlandish you can't look away • The book cover is just pleasing to the eye • So hard to put down What I Didn't Like: • Sometimes it becomes a lot when you have a story in a story in a story Overall Thoughts: "It's possible to feel horror of something and to accept it all at the same time. How else could we cope with being alive?" I struggled to finish this book because I did not want it to end...like EVER! Every-time I picked it up I was transformed into this world of Rob and the dysfunctional world she lived in. At times I wanted to hug her then shake her. I never knew what was real or what was just Rob's thoughts. Just when you think you know the villains in this book things change up and suddenly you're doubting yourself. The final ending was mind bending. Was Rob really Rob or was Rob really Jack? The ending with the contacts. Callie really being the good dog and not the bad dog. Just wow. Final Thoughts: This book is magic. I'm convinced that Catriona Ward is a witch because she keeps enchanting me into having to read every book she writes & loving it.

True Horror! Are you tired of "Psychological Thrillers"?! I am! Catriona Ward has it on lock. This book is for real scary.

Every second used to read this review is a second that you aren't using to read Catriona Ward's latest, Sundial. This is a problem, because she can freakin' WRITE, and I can't. For those that have read The Last House on Needless Street, I can say this: SHE HAS DONE IT AGAIN. All of those things that made that book magnificent are here again. This is all you need to know. Get it.

I was blown away by The Last House on Needless Street, so I was pretty sure I'd love Sundial. I had no idea what I was in for though! This gives "psychological thriller" a whole new, intense meaning. Right from the start, we realize that something isn't quite right with Rob. She's rightfully concerned about her two daughters, Callie and Annie, but we soon find out that her past is extremely disturbing, and nothing is as it seems. This book is horrifying and dark - and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. As we learn more about Rob's childhood when she returns to Sundial, her childhood home, with Callie, it becomes clear that there really aren't any "good guys" here - we've got horrible parents, an abusive spouse, manipulative siblings and it just gets worse from there. What you need to know about Sundial is that you will think you have everything figured out right before Ward flips everything upside down and you realize you know nothing. That is the best kind of thriller and Ward is an expert at it! You also need to know that there are gruesome scenes of animal abuse, animal death, physical, emotional and verbal abuse of adults and children, infidelity and drug abuse. I loved it and could not put it down, but it is extremely disturbing on many levels.

Holy crap, this was disturbing! Fair warning to those who like their horrors on the light side, this one isn’t for you. Every little thing that happens in this book is wrong. Every character is wrong. Every situation is wrong. And just when you think the author’s given us the most wrongness she can give, hey, there’s more! The author handles this well and with a deft touch. While it’s evident from page one that things are skewed with our little family, each chapter adds more and more ugliness to their situation – all described in deceptively beautiful narrative or, in the case of children, childish phrases that belie how terribly horrific the truth really is. I loved the book, but warn that it may not be for everyone. 5 Stars! *ARC via Publisher

Thank you to Tor Nightfire and Netgalley for the chance to read this arc! Having read Ward's other work I knew that I enjoyed it but Needless Street was just not for me. Sundial was a chance to try out her work again and WOW it didn't disappoint. Rob seems to have her life together - a home, a family, a husband - but behind closed doors her husband is abusive and her eldest daughter is showing troubling signs like collecting bones. To protect Callie from her husband she decides to bring her back to her childhood home Sundial. This book was full of twists and honestly just delivered so well on the promise of psychological horror. It was such a delight to piece together any of the twists before they came but still managed to be surprised by pieces I didn't see coming.

And you thought YOUR family was dysfunctional! It’s official. I am a compete Catriona Ward stan. After being bowled over by the incredible The Last House On Needless Street, I could not wait to get my hands on her next book. I am happy and excited to say that Ward’s sophomore effort did NOT disappoint. Glittering, dark, shocking, horrifying prose - Ward is an heiress to Stephen King’s throne. (It was King’s recommendation that got me to read Needless Street, and I couldn’t be happier to have found this wonderful author.) Ward’s writing is hypnotic and totally immersive. You forget where you are reading her work, and just become a part of her mesmerizing and horrifying world. It sucks you in and holds you there when it’s beautiful and also when it’s completely uncomfortable and horrifying. This book will not be for everyone but oh man, was it ever for me. The book is about a pair of female twins named Rob and Jack. The disturbing nature of their lives, particularly their upbringings by a weird pair of parents on a cult-like compound called Sundial, creeps into the story bit by bit until you are totally immersed in the crazy. I was immediately and totally fascinated with the narrating twin Rob, her husband Irving, and her two daughters from the start. Rob worries that one of her daughters may be a psychopath in the making. This sounds like a simple plot that you’ve read before, but I promise you, it is not. The book then delves into an incredible and horrifying story of nature vs. nurture, the significance of the so-called psychopath or “warrior” gene, bizarre psychological experiments, horrible parenting, weird twin relationships….and that’s not even the half of it. This author knows how to do multiple narrators: slightly different from Needless Street, this book has way fewer narrators but man does it pick the right ones. I really cannot stress enough how haunting, beautiful and unique Ward’s writing is. This author has an incredible dark gift. Her style is so individual and this story is so creepy that I think you will either love it or be repulsed by it. I definitely loved it (and as evidenced by Needless Street, many others do too). I had a great time savoring, being stressed out by, and reveling in this super creepy book. The ending was sufficiently insane and perfect, with a totally unforeseen yet perfect twist. This is the kind of great horror book that really goes deep on the nature of evil - what makes a horrifying person that way? Can anything be done about it? Is it always completely evident who the true psycho is? Yep, so, I loved this book. An easy five-plus stars from me. I sure hope Ward writes fast because I am ready for another book from her, like, right now. Creepy, spooky, gross, but also beautiful, in that way only a few horror authors can really do. Get ready to watch Catriona Ward because she’s just getting started, but already one of the greats. Thanks to Macmillan Tor Forge, NetGalley, and the author for this totally immersive, awesome, and creepy reading experience. I plan to read it again soon.

A fantastic and twisted tale by Catriona Ward. I read this book in a single day because I just couldn't put it down. Readers will think they know what is going to happen, but will be WRONG. This story contains family, cults, physical and psychological abuse, violence and implied threats of violence. Obviously this is a horror story and as such should be avoided by those who are sensitive to the above topics. I thoroughly enjoyed this tale. It is a startlingly original take on the age old question of whether nature or nurture are more important in the formation of a child's mind. I will be recommending this book to the readers and followers of my blog and social media accounts. I rate SUNDIAL as 5 out of 5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐