Attacking Anxiety

From Panicked and Depressed to Alive and Free

Pub Date 15 Feb 2022 | Archive Date Not set
Nelson Books, Thomas Nelson

Talking about this book? Use #AttackingAnxiety #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Shawn Johnson, lead pastor of Red Rocks Church, gives a searingly honest portrait of anxiety and depression and shows readers how to fight back and live free.

Shawn Johnson was the lead pastor of a thriving, fast-growing church. He was supposed to have it all together. But he was also struggling in silence with anxiety and depression, suffering from debilitating panic attacks that told him the lie that this would never end, that he'd spend the rest of his life in excruciating pain. Until one day he ended up sobbing and screaming on the side of the road. He had to be brought home by his wife and two friends, who removed any potential weapons from his house while he sat with his head in his hands, begging God for a miracle.

In Attacking Anxiety, Shawn vulnerably shares about this dark time and offers those familiar with that same struggle everything he's learned in his battles with anxiety, depression, and hopelessness. As readers join Shawn on this journey, he will

expose the lies that lead toward isolation and replace them with the truths that are essential to survival;reveal the things that most people don't realize are adding more anxiety and depression to their lives and replace them with the wisdom and support that lead to true freedom;explain what to do when you, or someone you love, is in the middle of a panic attack, andguide you through what you need to know, what you need to start doing, what you need to stop doing, and what you need to remember in order to start attacking anxiety and depression.

This is not a one-and-done process that will completely free you from all brokenness, but it will help you recognize that, even in the middle of so much brokenness and overwhelming pain, God has a plan and a purpose for your life, and he is ready to heal you in ways you never thought possible.

Shawn Johnson was the lead pastor of a...

PAGES 240

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I have battled anxiety for well over 25 years. I've been on medication coupled with therapy as well as read more books than I can count on this subject and have yet to conquer it.
Shawn Johnson's, Attacking Anxiety, just may have changed the game for me.
What sets this book aside from the many I have already read is that it speaks TRUTH, not just on Anxiety & Depression, but spiritual too.
It's a short and easy read but packed with affirmation and coping skills to fight the anxiety demon that often cripples us from living our life with joy.
I highly recommend this book to not only help overcome anxiety but to strengthen the bond between you and the Lord, who will always be there to back you off of that ledge when you feel overwhelmed with panic.
This is my first encounter with Shawn Johnson but I will be seeking out more of him. He's straightforward and holds no punches. He speaks truth.
Thank you NetGalley for approving my request.

I suffer from crippling anxiety during to chronic pelvic pain. I feel always on edge, jittery and borderline crazy for feeling this way. Reading Shawn's personal struggr with anxiety as a Christian was relevant. The book is encouraging, instructional, and a look at the pain of anxiety. It is so good to know that you are not crazy, you are not alone, and this will end.

Such an amazing and encouraging book! I would highly recommend for anyone, struggling with anxiety or not. This book is hopeful and practical and is a good resource for anyone who wants to understand how to help a close friend or family member with anxiety.

I needed this book! I read this book during a period when I wasn't feeling well and had a lot of panic attacks and it truly helped me. If you struggle with the same issues I couldn't recommend it more.