Zoom: Construction Site Adventure

Pub Date 30 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 14 Nov 2021
Publisher Spotlight, What on Earth Books

Talking about this book? Use #ZoomConstructionSiteAdventure #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Join Maxie on a building site in this board book with peek-a-boo holes throughout and a pop-up!

Join Maxie as they build their dream skyscraper from the ground up. Zoom: Construction Site Adventure is part of What on Earth Books' Zoom series of 36-page board books written by Susan Hayes, with peek-a-boo holes through the pages and a surprise popup.

Advance Praise

"For young readers this is a great book that helps expand on their love of all things construction. The illustrations are cartoon drawings but the accuracy in terms of the construction vehicles, different parts of the building and the tools is very impressive." - Youth Services Book Review

ISBN 9781912920426

Send To Kindle (PDF)

This is a Children's Book that I read to my twin boys. This book is so great for any little boy that loves trucks and building. I loved this story, and my boys loved to tell me all the names of the trucks in this book. I love the pictures in this book, and the pictures are so bright. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (What on Earth Books) or author (Susan Hayes) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that.

Thanks to Netgalley and What on Earth Books for a free digital copy. What a bright and vibrant book. Brimming with details and full illustrations this book will make construction fun and accessible for kids. Going through a multitude of steps, this book will be reread many times.

Follow along with Maxie as he builds a skyscraper from site prep to final completion! Illustrations show and name lots of materials and vehicles which will fascinate students interested in engineering. Each step of construction is illustrated in a lively and detailed style and kids will have fun describing everything that is going on in each panel. Throughout the entire book it seemed like Maxie was deliberately kept gender-neutral, which I was excited about because my students so rarely see girls in charge of projects in STEM books and we could easily have interpreted this as such. I was a bit bummed when he was identified as "he" in the closing pages. While there were crew members who appeared to be female, it would have been something exciting to have a book with a female (or even could-be-seen-as-female) protagonist. Still, this would be a good book for school and classroom libraries for pre-K and early elementary. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!