The Signs and Wonders of Tuna Rashad

Pub Date 07 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 07 Jun 2022
Running Press, Running Press Kids

From award-winning, #OwnVoices author Natasha Deen comes a new funny, honest, YA novel following one girl as she tries to win over her crush before she leaves for college.

Let’s be clear. No matter what her older brother, Robby, says, aspiring screenwriter Tuna Rashad is not “stupidstitious.” She is, however, cool with her Caribbean heritage, which means she is always on the lookout for messages from loved ones who have passed on. But ever since Robby became a widower, all he does is hang out at the house, mock Tuna for following in their ancestors’ traditions, and meddle in her life.

Tuna needs to break free from her brother’s loving but over-bearing ways and get him a life (or at least, get him out of hers!). Based on the signs, her ancestors are on board. They also seem to be on board with helping Tuna win over her crush, Tristan Dangerfield. The only hiccup? She has to do it before leaving for college in the fall. A ticking clock, a grief-stricken brother, and a crush who doesn’t believe in signs. What could possibly go wrong?

Let’s be clear. No matter...

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

I’ll admit, this book took a minute to adjust to as the MC, Altuna, has a unique voice. After a bit you get a feel for her as she sounds like a normal teenager obsessed over a guy. It’s cute because she is so overly dramatic like some people can be about an issue that could be simple. She believes in spirit connections and looking for signs. For some readers I’m sure she’s an acquired taste. I liked her dramatic thoughts and her goofiness. The story dealt with loss all while trying to lock down love and I thought it was interesting mix of the two. I liked the realistic dialogue and the scenarios Altuna got herself mixed up in. I enjoyed the way it resolved and liked that she compared everything to the arc of a story. Not everyone will understand her voice but I thought it was authentic and sweet read. I recommend it. Thanks to NetGalley and the Publisher for the ARC.

Such a great book. It is the best book i’ve read (so far) this year! I will definitely buy it when it becomes available in physical form.