The Three-Legged Stool

Pub Date 09 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 30 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheThreeLeggedStool #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

This unforgettable novel looks at the period from pre-World War I through World War II, uniquely told through the eyes of a boy brought to Detroit as an infant by disadvantaged parents from Germany in search of a better life. From the time he was five, Freddy Bauer's young world unravels after a German U-boat torpedoes and sinks the Lusitania in icy waters. He goes through some awful, life-changing events at a time moral decay and corruption overrun Detroit, which eventually persuades his parents to move back to Germany.

As a young man Freddy lives in decadent Berlin and sees Hitler's rise to power, and his misfortunes only intensify in war-torn Germany. In 1928, Freddy begins law school and rises above his peers. He faces political idealogues bent on overthrowing the government. A law professor appreciates his genius and the two become close friends. Spending evenings in a tavern with friends escaping the rigors of university life, he starts an emotional affair with his first love, Jette.

Practicing law, Freddy becomes frustrated with Hitler's perverted sense of justice, feeling powerless when Nazi courts dismiss evidence and give out harsh sentences in quick trials. What happens next in this electrifying novel is unexpected, and will make a memorable impression on readers.

Links

Great fun and really interesting and of course pretty engaging. I love historical books, history is something I’ve always actively participated in both as a subject and my love for it within books. I had great fun!

At first I was attracted to the book because of the title and the cover. A brief discription of it was not enough to describe a story of war, love and peace. A story that begins with a perfect loving family, begins with love and peace and ends with war trauma and the feeling of loss. Acceptance is what I feel it was written for, acceptance of conditions, of others like Jews, of evil like Hitler. I highly recommend it as historic entertaining story that reveals one of the the darkest sides Germany's history.

This was an interesting historical perspective. The beginning of the novel was definitely childlike in its movement and dialogue which boded well with the age of the character but the rest of the novel was dialogue heavy as well. I overall enjoyed the history and the story.