The Lost

Pub Date 28 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 12 Jul 2022
St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books

The Lost is the next mystery from author Jeffrey B. Burton starring an extraordinary cadaver dog and her handler.

Glencoe, Illinois: A home invasion turned kidnapping at the mansion of billionaire financier Kenneth J. Druckman brings Mason “Mace” Reid and his cadaver dog, Vira, to this wealthy northern suburb of Chicago. Druckman was assaulted, left behind while his wife and young daughter were taken for ransom.

Brought to the scene by the FBI, Reid specializes in human remains detection, and Vira is the star of his pack of cadaver dogs he’s dubbed The Finders. After Vira finds the dead body of the mother, former supermodel Calley Kurtz, everyone is on high alert to find Druckman’s missing daughter before the five-year-old disappears forever. But the trail Vira finds on the property’s dense woodlands leads right back to Druckman himself.

With the help of Detective Kippy Gimm, Reid and Vira must race against the clock. Nothing is as it appears to be . . . and the red herrings could be lethal.

Even though some bad things happen and the dogs are cadaver dogs.This is a fun series. Jeffery B Burton does a good job with his characters and I love the dog names..

abduction, murder, murder-investigation, cadaver-dogs, dog-trainer, law-enforcement, fraud, high-finance, false-information, family-dynamics, friendship, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin***** The mystery was a good one with lots of twists, but the format was disconcerting. The author put you in the mind of all of the relevant characters in a time sequential manner. If you are expecting a good mystery, you win. If you are looking for a mystery led by Human Remains Dogs trained and living with Mace Reid, you might be flummoxed and possibly disappointed. I went in without any real expectations, so I enjoyed it. I requested and received a free ebook copy from St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books via NetGalley. Thank you!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an ARC of the Lost. This is the second of Mr. Burton's canine books and I have loved them both. The plotting was good and there were some wonderful twists and turns. Even the "bad guys" had a sympathetic side but the dogs and a five-year-old girl steal the show. I so much enjoy a good mystery/thriller that also has a nice sense of humor that appears at exactly the right time. I recommend this book especially if you love dogs and know how incredibly faithful and loyal they are.

The Lost by Jeffrey B. Burton is another in the Mace and Vira cadaver dog series. It was a bit slower than the last one but still a welcome addition to the Search Dog genre. The characters, both human and animal, are well thought out and I look forward to the next story.

Another suspenseful, thrilling story and the best part is the detective dogs. I like the way the story start by showing what kind of people we will be dealing with and who the detective dogs will be looking for, it makes the tale more exciting. And boy some of these bad people are just a little scary. It's sad in this tale that the little girl loses both parents and will have to deal with what type of people her parents were in the future. I really like it when the have the dogs involved in the detective work and that they seem to know who done it. It's to bad they can't arrest someone on their bases. I want to thank St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books and NetGalley for this exciting books

I adore this series! I mean what can be better than a twisty, turny murder mystery? One with Vira the amazing dog. Dogs and murder what a combination. Fast paced with the most amazing characters. A fantastic story line brought to life by a wonderful story teller. This book will make your blood run cold, and when you think you know what is what it twists again and leaves your jaw on the floor.

The Lost by Jeffrey B. Burton is a fantastic page-turner and new addition in the Mace and Vira cadaver dog series. I could barely put this book down! It was high suspense and I absolutely loved the bond between Mace and Vira. The characters both human and canine are well developed and interesting. I can't wait for more in the series.

Mason Reid, Kippy Gimm and Reid's rescue dogs are all back for another fun to read and laugh out loud mystery! As I mentioned before in another review of Burton's dog series - his books will remind the reader of David Rosenfelt and Harlan Coben's humor. Thanks for an enjoyable and fun book to read!