The Lost

A Mace Reid K-9 Mystery

Pub Date 28 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 12 Jul 2022
St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books

The Lost is the next mystery from author Jeffrey B. Burton starring an extraordinary cadaver dog and her handler.

Brought to the scene by the FBI, Reid specializes in human remains detection, and Vira is the star of his pack of cadaver dogs he’s dubbed The Finders. After Vira finds the dead body of the mother, former supermodel Calley Kurtz, everyone is on high alert to find Druckman’s missing daughter before the five-year-old disappears forever. But the trail Vira finds on the property’s dense woodlands leads right back to Druckman himself.

With the help of Detective Kippy Gimm, Reid and Vira must race against the clock. Nothing is as it appears to be . . . and the red herrings could be lethal.

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Even though some bad things happen and the dogs are cadaver dogs.This is a fun series. Jeffery B Burton does a good job with his characters and I love the dog names..

abduction, murder, murder-investigation, cadaver-dogs, dog-trainer, law-enforcement, fraud, high-finance, false-information, family-dynamics, friendship, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin*****

The mystery was a good one with lots of twists, but the format was disconcerting. The author put you in the mind of all of the relevant characters in a time sequential manner. If you are expecting a good mystery, you win. If you are looking for a mystery led by Human Remains Dogs trained and living with Mace Reid, you might be flummoxed and possibly disappointed. I went in without any real expectations, so I enjoyed it.
I requested and received a free ebook copy from St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books via NetGalley. Thank you!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an ARC of the Lost.
This is the second of Mr. Burton's canine books and I have loved them both.

The plotting was good and there were some wonderful twists and turns. Even the "bad guys" had a sympathetic side but the dogs and a five-year-old girl steal the show. I so much enjoy a good mystery/thriller that also has a nice sense of humor that appears at exactly the right time.

I recommend this book especially if you love dogs and know how incredibly faithful and loyal they are.

The Lost by Jeffrey B. Burton is another in the Mace and Vira cadaver dog series. It was a bit slower than the last one but still a welcome addition to the Search Dog genre. The characters, both human and animal, are well thought out and I look forward to the next story.

Another suspenseful, thrilling story and the best part is the detective dogs. I like the way the story start by showing what kind of people we will be dealing with and who the detective dogs will be looking for, it makes the tale more exciting. And boy some of these bad people are just a little scary. It's sad in this tale that the little girl loses both parents and will have to deal with what type of people her parents were in the future.
I really like it when the have the dogs involved in the detective work and that they seem to know who done it. It's to bad they can't arrest someone on their bases.

I want to thank St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books and NetGalley for this exciting books

I adore this series! I mean what can be better than a twisty, turny murder mystery? One with Vira the amazing dog. Dogs and murder what a combination. Fast paced with the most amazing characters. A fantastic story line brought to life by a wonderful story teller. This book will make your blood run cold, and when you think you know what is what it twists again and leaves your jaw on the floor.

The Lost by Jeffrey B. Burton is a fantastic page-turner and new addition in the Mace and Vira cadaver dog series.

I could barely put this book down! It was high suspense and I absolutely loved the bond between Mace and Vira. The characters both human and canine are well developed and interesting. I can't wait for more in the series.

Mason Reid, Kippy Gimm and Reid's rescue dogs are all back for another fun to read and laugh out loud mystery! As I mentioned before in another review of Burton's dog series - his books will remind the reader of David Rosenfelt and Harlan Coben's humor. Thanks for an enjoyable and fun book to read!

I have read all the books in the series. The Lost is the third book in the series featuring Mace and his dogs. This one was very good. I enjoyed the interaction with the dogs and the humans. – I loved the writing featuring Vera the “main dog”. This book is different in that it has a good mystery about murder and kidnapping. There was less about the job of Cadaver dog and more about being a good therapy dog.

I enjoyed this installment and recommended it – thank you Net Galley for an advanced copy for an honest review.

The Lost is another great mystery in the series starring Mace, the dog trainer and Vira, cadaver dog extraordinaire. When a rich investor calls in an abduction at his home, Mace and Vira are called in to look for the missing. Vira quickly leads the trail to a body and then the scent of the murderer back to the house. In a complicated case involving blackmail, Russian mobsters, and a missing child, Mace, his dogs, and his girlfriend, Detective Kippy Gimm, Mace and Vira are playing catch-up and running short on time. The twists just keep coming as every time things look resolved, another wrench is thrown in the works. Action packed and suspenseful, the story is a page turner. My only complaint would be there’s less Vira and her abilities in play in this novel than previously but still an interesting mystery. My voluntary, unbiased review is based upon a review copy from NetGalley.

Mason "Mace" Reid and his golden retriever Vira are called to the scene of what seems to be a fairly simple home invasion. But when Vira finds a body, and then puts the murderer in the crosshairs of the police, what seemed simple becomes anything but. Looking for a missing child becomes their ongoing focus, but as clues pile up, and outside factors come into play, Mace and Vira may be in more danger than they expected.

This is a new author for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Looking forward to more from Burton about the amazing Vira.

It took me a while to get into this book but as I got further along in the story I didn't want to put it down. Scarf was an amazing little girl who went through so much. Vira the dog was awesome.

I throughly enjoy this series by Jeffrey Burton, and love his style of writing. Combining mystery with dogs is always a winner. I look forward to more installments.

The Lost by Jeffrey B. Burton is the third book in the Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. Burton has managed to seamlessly combine an amateur sleuth mystery with a police procedural that also highlights relationships between dogs and people as well as showing the dark side of people and how that can affect others.

Mason (Mace) Reid lives outside of Chicago and trains dogs with various end goals such as obedience and missing persons tracking, as well as searching for drugs and explosives. However, his specialty is training dogs in human remains detection (HRD or cadaver dogs). He is often called in to help the Chicago Police Department, local sheriff’s departments, and occasionally, the FBI.
He and his golden retriever Vira are called by Special Agent in Charge Len Squires to Glencoe, Illinois. During a home invasion, billionaire financier Kenneth J. Druckman was assaulted and his wife, former supermodel Calley Kurtz, and his daughter Eleanor were abducted. Vira seems to have an uncanny edge that borders on the paranormal in her ability to locate not just the dead bodies, but also their murderers by latching on to their chemical signature at the murder site. What follows is a terrific mystery with lots of action, twists and turns, a little humor, and some fantastic moments with Mace’s family/pack; his dogs and Chicago homicide detective Kippy Gimm.

Mace is a compelling and well-developed character with flaws that have led to a divorce and a job change. It was great to see some of the secondary characters show up again in this book and gain some depth. Additionally, the canines have been well-developed and their personalities came through as the story progress. They aren’t just an afterthought, but play important roles in the series and have distinctive personalities. It was also great to see the relationship between Mace and Kippy continue to develop.

The writing style is engaging, but also has an intensity to it that kept me turning the pages. The plot was clever, intriguing, creative, and intense. The final twist caught me by surprise. There were aspects that I did not see coming even though there were enough hints that I conceivably could have deciphered it. Like in previous books, the bonds between Mace and his five dogs continue to be a highlight and provide some humor. Themes include murder, abduction, assault, corruption, and relationships. My one quibble with this book is that there were some flashback scenes that interrupted the flow of the story for me. While I recognize why they were included, it still affected my reading experience.

Overall, this was an entertaining and suspenseful novel and a great continuation of the series. I look forward to seeing what is next for Mace and his pack. Additionally, I want to read this author’s FBI Special Agent Drew Cady mystery series starting with The Chessman.

St. Martin’s Press – Minotaur Books and Jeffrey B. Burton provided a complimentary digital ARC of this novel via NetGalley. This is my honest review. Opinions are mine alone and are not biased in any way. Publication date is currently set for June 28, 2022. This review was originally posted at Mystery and Suspense Magazine.

The Lost – Jeffrey B. Burton

Mason Reid, his girlfriend Kippy and his cadaver dog Vira are back with their 3rd must-read adventure!

It’s a beautiful late summer morning in Illinois, as Mace and Vira head to the gated estate of Kenneth Druckman, a wealthy financier, as they’ve been called to assist with the apparent abduction of his wife and daughter. The report is that three male individuals broke into the home in the early AM, assaulted Druckman and kidnapped his wife and daughter, with a demand for ransom money.

Vira, a golden retriever, is one of several dogs Mace has trained, but in addition to her ability to sniff out cadavers, she also has the unique ability to identify a perpetrator’s scent on a scene – and will signal Mace if she senses the killer nearby. It doesn’t take Vira long to discover the body of Druckman’s wife nearby, with an obvious head injury, and heads right back to the house, following the killer’s footsteps. But there is no sign of the couple’s 5-year-old daughter Eleanor.

As the search for young Ellie continues, the story is told in different timelines and from different perspectives – those that orchestrated the events leading to the alleged kidnapping as well as the present time condition of little Ellie, and of the machinations of a gentleman, known only as ‘the Belgium’, who seems untouchable, untraceable and ultimately responsible for everything…

I love Mace and his dogs and while I found this story a bit convoluted at times, with several different facets, it all comes together in another well-orchestrated, satisfying, suspenseful who-dun-it, thanks to our favorite canine, Vira! If you’re a fan of k-9 staring series, this is another great series for you!!

Available from your favorite bookseller on June 28th!

I received this book as an Advance Reader Copy from Netgalley & St. Martin’s Press in exchange for an objective review. Do you love to read?? Visit netgalley.com and start reviewing books today!!

Mace and his special cadaver dog, Vira, are back when the wife and young daughter of a very wealthy man are allegedly kidnapped. Vira soon finds a single body. Vira, who has the ability to not only find a corpse, but to link the death to the murderer, points out the guilty party. Now Mace and the rest will need to find actual evidence. This is a fast-moving mystery involving ruthless billionaires, the Russian mafia, a very weird collector of “exquisites”, the FBI, and Mace’s police girlfriend, but there is less of the dog pack and less of Vira’s special abilities. Overall, this was an exciting, enjoyable mystery, but I hope there will be more of the dogs and their abilities in the next story.
Thank you to St. Martin’s Press and NetGalley for the ARC.

Mace Reid lives in trailer along with his pack of dogs who are trained as cadaver dogs. There is Sam, the GSD, who rules the trailer; Dixie and Molly, the farm collies; Bill, the bloodhound puppy, who may or may not be useful at any given moment. And then there Vira, short for Elvira, a golden retriever, who has a sixth sense about dead bodies. Vira is able to communicate with Mace and his girlfriend, police officer Kippy Gimm, when she detects something beyond just the dead body. When Mace and Vira are called to the scene of dead body in Glencoe IL, she "tells" Mace this was a murder, not a natural death. The death of supermodel Calley Kurtz leads to a search for her missing daughter, Eleanor. But as Mace and Kippy investigate, links are found to the Russian mob and more deaths. A fast-paced and entertaining read.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley.com.

I really enjoy these books. I think the dog element makes them unique and Vira's special something makes them even better. As Mace works with the FBI to help solve a home invasion and the kidnapping of a child and her mother he finds that there may be more to this case than meets the eye. This book was a little different than the other books in this series, and I'm not sure I liked it as much but it was still a good read. I love the dog hierarchy in Mace's crew and the quirks of each of the dogs, especially Sue.

While this is the 3rd book in the series, it isn't necessary to read the others, since the author catches you up on what went down in the last books in the beginning on this one. Fast paced, and some humor I think what I wanted more of was the creepy Belgian billionaire, there seemed to be so much more to this character and I feel like we only just tapped the surface. Druckman wasn't nearly as scary or interesting, I actually found him weak and spoiled.

Overall I have a love for Mace and his pack of cadaver dogs. I am fascinated by these animals and these books bring them to life. They are just as much major characters in the books as Mace and Kippy.

Jeffrey B. Burton’s K9 mystery series features a heroic golden retriever cadaver dog named Vira and her handler, Mason Reid. The Lost is the third book in the series, but I was able to read and enjoy it without having read the first two books. A young girl is missing; throw in some Russian mobsters, some stolen jewelry, and a whole pack of working dogs and you’ve got plenty of details to keep your attention.

The Lost is a fun and fast-paced novel, with a lot of dead bodies but no one we care about (and, spoiler: no dead dogs). The series is set in the Chicago area and I liked the local color. Reid’s girlfriend is a smart Chicago Police Department detective. They both occasionally do some stupid things to keep the plot going, but largely due to the heroic dogs, all is never lost. If you enjoy light-hearted mysteries and/or intrepid dogs, you might enjoy this series.

This is the third book in this series and it was just as exciting as the first two. Vira and the pack of dogs are as delightful and smart as ever. Mace and Kippy are a great pair both work wise and romantically. I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline and it flowed smoothly as I read it in one day. There were a couple of unexpected twists and I would have enjoyed more of the dogs but overall it was a great suspense/mystery novel. Strong characters and the inclusion of dogs guarantee you will enjoy this book.

The 3rd book in this wonderful series. A murder mystery with dogs is my favourite kind of book. A home invasion finds Mace and Vira looking for an abducted wife and child. The wife is found but the child remains missing. Just read the book. I highly recommend it. I hope Book 4 comes soon. Thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.

Wow, just wow! First let me say I received an advance reader copy of this book but I can assure you that fact has no bearing on my opinion of this book. This is the third book in the Mace Reid K-9 series of books and each book gets better as they go along. Mace, Kippy and all of the dogs are just like one big happy family and I would really like to be their friend or associate. I don’t like to give any spoilers but if you enjoy police investigations and knowing what the police go through in an investigation, you will enjoy these books!

Review of Uncorrected Digital Galley

When a home invasion turns into a kidnapping, Mason Reid and his cadaver dog, Vira, find themselves searching for the kidnapped wife and daughter of billionaire financier Kenneth J. Druckman. Several acres of brush and wetland lay behind the Druckman mansion; although they’d hoped to find nothing, it didn’t take long for Vira to lead them to the body of Druckman’s wife, Calley.

But there is no sign of their daughter, five-year-old Eleanor. And, adding to the mystery, Vira follows the trail right back to Kenneth Druckman.

Did Druckman murder his wife? And, if so, where is the little girl?

=========

"The Lost," third in the Mace Reid K-9 series, includes sufficient backstory for the book to work as a standalone. [But readers new to the series will find much to appreciate in the two earlier books.]

Readers are clued in at the beginning and know exactly the sort of malefactors Mace, Vira, and Kippy [Chicago Police Detective Kippy Gimm] will find themselves facing. This creates an undercurrent of foreboding as the reader knows what the characters have yet to discover.

The clever, complex narrative pulls readers into the telling of the tale from the outset; the plot twists and turns as the unfolding narrative keeps the pages turning. Well-drawn characters [several considerably unlikable] and a strong sense of place work together to keep the story moving at a brisk pace.

But the stars of the story are the dogs . . . Elvira, Maggie May, Delta Dawn, Billie Joe, Sue . . . who are The Finders, all taught by Mace to work as Human Remains Detection dogs. Vira turned out to be a gifted cadaver dog; she and the other dogs are the heart of the story.

"The Lost" is a well-told, twisty tale, made even more enjoyable by the dogs’ antics. The bond between Mace and the dogs is truly heartwarming; the evolving narrative is both intriguing and intense. Readers are sure to find it difficult to set this one aside before turning the final page.

Highly recommended.

I received a free copy of this eBook from St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books and NetGalley
#TheLost #NetGalley

What a rousing read! Seriously, the maturation of the Mace Reid K-9 series is absolutely astounding! The Lost is the finest entry yet in this thrilling series from Jeffrey B. Burton. Captivating. Engrossing. Terrific. This book is a stunning achievement. Simply stunning. With this third book featuring Mace and his HRD (human remains detection) pack of dogs, the author shows continued growth with an adroit grasp of characters and plot. If you love a good mystery and colorful characters (human and canine) this series remains a can't miss. Thank You to St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books, & NetGalley for the advance reading copy! #TheLost #NetGalley

I tend to stick to cozy mysteries as opposed to those, like this book, with a darker, more sinister feel. It was definitely that but, hey, I mean, how can I not be drawn to a book with such a beautiful Golden Retriever on the cover. After reading the prologue, however, which was chilling, I wasn't so sure about my decision but decided to press on. I'm glad I did. Oh, not that the story line got any less dark or less chilling, but Mace and Kippy, along with Golden Retriever Vira, as in Elvira, the Oak Ridge Boys' song, won me over.

As for the plot, well, it basically comes down to don't tick off foreign mobsters. Mace, who was only recently and reluctantly talked into carrying a concealed weapon and hates guns, seems badly outmatched. But, he has police girlfriend Kippy, who keeps her gun handy and loaded, watching his back. Even more importantly, he has Vira. Her uncanny ability to not just find dead bodies but then somehow lead her team to the killer is no longer in doubt. She does exactly that this time, too. The hard part seems to be finding the necessary evidence to stand up in a court of law. In the meantime, there's a dead mother and missing child, not to mention missing jewels. All tied up in the mesh that involves the foreign mob.

The initial murderer is evident immediately, especially given Vira's talents. But, why murder Calley? Where is the missing daughter? Could Vira be mistaken? Nah. Not likely. Who is the body found in the park? Is it connected? Who is calling the shots of the ransom attempt? Druckman is beyond rich, so why the connection to a pawn broker, of all things? Has the foreign mob moved in on pawn brokers? Will the missing daughter's escape plan work? Who is the blond woman with her? How do Kippy and Mace find the hiding place? Is Mace brave or foolhardy when he launches himself at attempted abductors? Wait, where are Vira and Scarf, the missing-again daughter? Scarf? What do hot air balloons have to do with anything? How will Mace find Vira? Not telling. You'll have to read the book for the answer to these and so many other questions.

Overall, although a bit out of my comfort range, I enjoyed the story although the frequently changing view points threw me off momentarily each change. Despite this, while it was disturbing to ponder such heartless scheming and murder,I liked Mace and it was interesting the watch Mace's behavior and pride in Vira and the rest of the pack. Vira and "The Finders," as Mace has dubbed them, emerge just as distinctly as characters as Mace and Kippy. Far from being superheroes, they emerge as down-to-earth people who love dogs and, hmm, each other? I think I may have to take a deep, calming breath and read the next book when it comes out.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress - #MinotaurBooks for introducing me to Vira and her human friends. Loved how Mace came up with their names, especially Sue.

I enjoyed this book. It’s got lots of suspense and twists. The dogs are great. The characters are great. #TheLost #NetGalley

Another fun Burton novel. They are not meant for readers who want their books to be serious- they are light-hearted, jokey, and fun, while bringing a mystery along for the ride.

This is the third book featuring Mace Reid and his pack of cadaver dogs. Jeffrey B Burton must have a history with dogs because he writes the canine characters so well. There is never a scene that involves dogs and humans that doesn't ring true. The plot is exciting with lots of unexpected happenings. Just when I thought the story was close to the end another issue would arise, I highly recommend The Lost.
I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from Minotaur Books through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are entirely mine own.
#TheLostBook#NetGalley#minotaurbooks

Part of the Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series, this volume does not disappoint with it's suspense and twists. Vira is the golden retriever cadaver dog who features throughout the story. She and her handler Mace are called to the scene of a supposed kidnapping and from there the adventure begins. The story begins with a prologue that is not resolved until the last page.
While I enjoyed this story and was drawn into the plot and connected with the characters, the beginning of several of the chapters were confusing. It took me several sentences to understand what the context was or even who exactly was speaking. At times, the author very cleverly used a neutral description for a character, allowing the reveal of the person to make it's impact. It's only after you finish the book that you understand the numerous layers of meaning in the title "The Lost". If you like mysteries and enjoy suspense mixed with dogs and not too much violence, this would be a good choice. I would give this book 4 of 5 stars.

A Revenge Killing, A Kidnapping, And A Gruesome Murder

Mason Reid and his dog Vera are called to the site of kidnapping. Kenneth Druckman, a wealthy financial planner reported that he was beaten and his wife, Calley and their five year old daughter, Eleanor, were taken from their home. Mason and Vera are asked to check the woods for any sign of a trail to follow. What they find, though, is the mutilated body of Calley and there is no sign of Eleanor anywhere. What follows is a convoluted tale of deceit, compassion, and maneuvering designed to obscure the true nature of the events to allow the culprit to get away free and wealthy.

This is the third book in the series and is a bit different in that is doesn’t concentrate as much on Vera and the dogs as is does on the murder and kidnapping. The story is well-written but different from most mysteries in that everything is explained as it happens so you know who did what to whom and there really isn’t much mystery except to figure out how Vera is going to help solve the crime. In that respect, it was a little disappointing if you are into a who-dunnit or a dog intensive story. Still, it’s a good book and fills in more of the lives of Mason and his wonderful dogs.

Thank you Net Galley and St. Martin’s Press for allowing me to read an advance copy of The Lost.

A home invasion and a kidnapping bring Mason and his cadaver dog to the billionaire Druckman’s mansion. Vera, the cadaver dog, finds the body of the supermodel mother and all signs point to Druckman himself.
Jeffrey Burton is a great storyteller. Mason’s life with his three cadaver dogs bring humor to mystery and death. As a dog lover, I enjoyed the attention paid to each of the cadaver dogs as they were all so different from each other. This is a quick read and lots of fun.

Another excellent book by Jeffrey B Burton. The Lost is the third book in the Mason Reid series. These feel good mysteries are so well written and I always find myself smiling as I’m reading them. Great way to spend some time.

Mace Reid lives outside of Chicago and trains dogs. His specialty is training dogs in human remains detection i.e. cadaver dogs. He often works with the Chicago Police Department, local sheriff’s departments, and occasionally, the FBI.

He and his golden retriever Vira are called by Special Agent in Charge Len Squires to Glencoe, Illinois. During a home invasion, billionaire financier Kenneth J. Druckman was assaulted and his wife, former supermodel Calley Kurtz, and his daughter Eleanor were abducted. Vira has a sort of canine ESP in that she has the ability to locate not just the dead bodies, but also their murderers by latching on to their chemical signature which is often left at a murder scene.

What ensues is a great mystery. It has lots of action, twists and turns and a few laughs. A parallel story is Mace and his “kids” and his budding relationship with Chicago homicide detective Kippy Gimm.

Jeffrey Burton's writing is engaging that keeps me turning the pages way past my bed time. The plot was both engaging and intriguing and the final twist was a great surprise. Very entertaining novel and a great continuation of the series. I look forward to the next book to see what happens next with Mace and his “kids”. I would highly recommend to others.

A wonderful third book in the Mace Reid (and his five🐕 member🐶 canine 🐕cadaver 🐶dog 🐕crew) series!

I was new to this author and this series, but I am now a huge fan! This novel is jam-packed with smart, funny, snarky characters...and that's just the dogs!! 🐾🐾 The human dynamics are just as engaging, but well, what can I say? Jeffrey B. Burton, you had me at dog!

If you want a read that will move at a steady, page-turning clip, one that is also just the teensiest bit over the top in its "who dun it" storyline...then this series is for you!😉

Oh, and I already mentioned its chock-a-block full of dogs... ADORABLE, SMART, SAVVY, CLEVER, BRAVE, LOYAL, CRIME FIGHTING DOGS, right?? (I've already requested 📚 1 and 2 from my library!!)

I was offered "The Lost" by its publisher through NetGalley.
This novel has a release date of June 28, 2022.

#TheLost
#JeffreyBBurton
#MaceReidCanineSeries
#StMartinsPress/MinotaurBooks
#NetGalley

My thanks to Sara from Net Galley for inviting me to read The Lost and to St. Martin's Press. I have read all 3 books in this series and have loved each one.

Mace Reid ,his partner Kippy, and their team of cadaver dogs are back to solve a home invasion of a wealthy financier, the murder of his wife and the kidnapping of their daughter.

Really enjoyed and looking forward to the next book.

Thanks so much to the publisher and Net Galley for a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Another enjoyable adventure with Mace, Kippy ( still irked by her name) and Vira. Featuring guest appearances from Sue and the farm collies- Delta Dawn and Maggie May, who are smarter than all concerned. Introducing Bille Joe the blood hound, bottom of the pack hierarchy but going to be a major player some day.
This is the third book in the series but it stands on it’s own- you don’t need to to read the others - but really you should. This time there is the life of a child at stake- her father has done some bad bad things, and she has been kidnapped by his mistress, as he fakes a home invasion that has left her mother dead. I enjoyed Mace’s self deprecating humor as always, but felt that the stakes were less in this story, and the big reveal at the end- who was “the patient” was a bit of a meh for me. The best parts of the book are when Mace and the dogs are engaged, ( would have liked more of that) vs the sundry of supporting baddies( too much time with them). Still, all in all- an enjoyable read.
Spoilers ahead
The incredibly wealthy live in a different world- one where crime can be overlooked- and as such I would expect that in the real world Mr Verlinden would escape justice, able to buy whatever was needed so plausible deniability would be exploited, and he would spend zero days in jail. I also loved the little girls middle name- Scarf- as a nod to ridiculous celebrity names. However I don’t think her childhood will be a happy one- neither of her grandparents did a great job with her parents - and the implication the end that Cally’s mother was with her father when he committed suicide was not reassuring . Ideally, the Nanny would have been best. Or perhaps Verlinden won’t spend time in prison- and will come for her her day- to add to his exquisites.

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.

It is always a pleasure to follow Mace and his well-trained cadaver-seeking dogs. In this adventure, we also get to learn more about Mace's police-officer girlfriend, Kippy. The group (people and animals) work well together to find clues and ultimately solve difficult cases.

As with the first two books in the series, the plot has numerous twists and turns that keep a mystery reader glued to the page. The human and canine characters are very well developed. Each of the dogs has a different personality and talent. The dogs are not just add-ons but are critical to the storyline.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Lost and look forward to future stories about Sue, Vira, and the others, along with their human friends.

Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book. When a crime happens at a wealthy families house in the suburbs of Chicago, Mason and his dogs are called to investigate. The more Mason investigates, the more questions he has. This book kept me guessing.

I have read all the books in this series and without a doubt, Mr. Burton has stepped up his game with this entry into the series.

The author knows how to create warm and carrying characters that the reader genuinely cares about. Mace and Kippy have such a genuine feel to them along with Mace’s pack of dogs, especially Vira (that’s Ira with a V) that you fall in love immediately with the whole gang. The story moved from the past to the present as smoothly as lotion on a baby’s bottom. The author hooked you with the last line in each chapter so that you had no choice but to read one more chapter. There were plenty of twist and turns as the author laid most of the mystery out for you, yet still managed to give the reader a mouth opening ending to wrap the story up. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.

My review is voluntary and all comments and opinions expressed are
my own.

Another terrific effort in the Mace Reid and Vira series. Mace is called out by the FBI to the scene of a home invasion and kidnapping in suburban Chicago. When he and his best dog Vira do a little investigating of the home’s grounds, they find the remains of his wife. Vira, a cadaver dog, also senses DNA and, in this case, follows it right back to the house. Eleanor, the six year old daughter remained missing. The investigation leads in all sorts of directions including a number of red herrings. It is well written and a really enjoyable read. Thanks to Net Galley and Minotaur Books for an ARC for an honest review.

Mason Reid and Kippy Gimm, with Vira in tow, are called in to help find the wife and child of an affluent business man. While he is claiming a robbery gone wrong, Mason and Kippy feel something is not right with his story. As more information, and bodies, begins to surface, Mason and Kippy find themselves deep in the middle of a dangerous situation.
I was given an opportunity to read the ARC via NetGalley. I really enjoy this series! The characters are relatable and storyline is interesting. I enjoy a story that keeps me on the edge of my seat and Mr. Burton delivers. I highly recommend this series!

I had read the previous two in this series so I was looking forward to reading this one. This book was a little different with more going on with the main characters. It just wasn’t holding my attention. I do wish there was more interaction with the dog.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the early copy

A nice read! Not my usual choice of reading material but I am interested in reading more from this particular series now. It had lighthearted moments and enough little twists to keep it interesting.
I did have a bit of trouble staying engaged in the beginning, because of the excess italicized words and phrases. My mind automatically puts the emphasis on those, but in about 80% of the uses, it wasn't needed at all and only distracted and detracted from the story. I feel the author tries a bit too hard to be clever and witty with his main character, which I found a bit cringey from time to time, but overall a decent choice and good enough to make me want to try the rest of the series.

Thank you #Netgalley for the ARC, provided at no charge for an honest opinion and review.

<i>The Lost</i> is another fascinating romp into the world of cadaver dogs. Mace Reid works with the police but he really isn’t a member of the police force. He is a dog lover and trainer they are his first concern. <i>The Lost</i> is part of a Mace Reid K-9 mystery series written by Jeffrey B. Burton.

Kenneth Druckman is a financier who’s doing very well. He’s extremely rich. He has properties all over the globe and he seems to have life by the tail. He is also married to a supermodel and he has a beautiful young daughter. Unfortunately, the reason the police are speaking to Mr. Druckman is because his wife and his daughter have been kidnapped. Home invaders have come in and taken the two of them. Mace is sent out with his dogs to see if he can find any additional evidence. He finds Mr. Druckman’s wife which elevates the crime to a murder investigation. But where is his daughter? As the story continues, we find out Mr. Druckman has a number of enemies he has accumulated over the years and he has to do something in order to get himself out of the mess he has found himself in. His family unfortunately is part of the resolution of these issues. Mace’s Dog, Vira, has a major role to play in this mystery because she can find the body and, based on sniffing the evidence on the body, she can also identify the murderer. This tends to take the story in unexpected directions.

Although Mace Reid is an interesting character I think the most fascinating part of what Burton does in this series of books is he gives the dogs personality. Each of the Mace’s dogs is fascinating and a major part of the story and how it unfolds.

The story is also fascinating because it starts out with one mysterious character who becomes intricately involved with Druckman. It also starts out with Druckman revealing how he is in serious financial trouble in spite of the fact that everyone thinks he’s a wonderful guy who is extremely rich and lucky to have the wife and child that he does. So, the story is quite confounding at first. It is very early in the book when you discover who committed the crime. The story is in fact about the details of the crime and why it was committed.

I recommend a story to people who love canine stories first of all but also murder mysteries. This one is convoluted and for that reason it is very interesting. I give the story of four and five. I want to thank NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for providing me with a digital copy of this novel I give his review voluntarily.

Book Review: The Lost - A Mace Reid K-9 Mystery
Author: Jeffrey B. Burton
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books
Publication Date: June 28, 2022
Review Date: April 19, 2022

From the blurb:
“The Lost is the next mystery from author Jeffrey B. Burton starring an extraordinary cadaver dog and her handler.

Glencoe, Illinois: A home invasion turned kidnapping at the mansion of billionaire financier Kenneth J. Druckman brings Mason “Mace” Reid and his cadaver dog, Vira, to this wealthy northern suburb of Chicago. Druckman was assaulted, left behind while his wife and young daughter were taken for ransom.

————
I have read all of Jeffery Burton’s Mace Reid K-9 Mystery books, and was so happy to be approved by NetGalley for this latest of the series.

The author is a master of characterization, including Vira, Mace Reid’s youngest Human Remains Detection dog, aka HRD, aka The Finders.

Vira just pops out of the page, to the point that I wish that I could adopt her. His plots are just complicated enough to be engaging, and not too complicated that I get lost.

As usual I highly recommend not only this book, but all the books in this series. As a dog lover, they are extremely enjoyable.

Thank you to St. Martin’s Press/Minotaur Books for allowing me early access to the adorable book. And best of luck to Mr. Burton with his continuing literary career.

This review will be posted on NetGalley and Goodreads.

#netgalley #thelostamacereidk9mystery #jeffreybburton #stmartinspressminotaurbooks

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of The Lost.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love dogs, and this is a great series by the author.

I love Vira, Sue, and the whole pack; the dogs are as unique and spirited as humans, fiercely loyal, independent, and smart as heck.

I'm getting more used to Mace and his girlfriend; i think his character is a bit passive for my taste, or maybe that's the point. His dogs are the stars of the show (or series), and he's just there along for the ride.

My only caveat with this book in the series is that it's not a mystery; you know whodunnit.

There's no suspense or drama.

Still, the writing is good, and it's always wonderful to read about how awesome dogs are, not that I need reminding!

I like K-9 mysteries and novels with dog partners for PIs. This series is new to me and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the dog trainer Mace and his motley crew of dogs, including his main cadaver dog, Vira.

The dogs were personalized, individualized by their owner Mace, and dog lovers will enjoy them. The plot was spectacular in its twists and surprises and its cast of characters, a motley group of the good, the bad, and the ugly, interacting in amazing ways.

An excellent K-9 mystery/thriller that I enjoyed tremendously.

Okay I'm a sucker for books that have dogs on the cover and I have always enjoyed the book and this book was no exception. Mystery, off balance characters, a lot of greed which made this a totally twisted book to read but I enjoyed the story immensely and look forward to more.

A financier’s wife and daughter go missing and Mace is called in by the FBI. Vira, his HRD dog, finds the body of the mother, alright, but when everyone else is supplying theories, Vira disappears back to the mansion.

Mace lives outside of Chicago and has worked with the Chicago Police Department and other local law enforcement agencies before. His budding romantic interest is Detective Kippy Gimm. Mace gets to work on this one, keeping most of the other dogs in his pack at bay. There are lots of twists and turns, Vira (Elvira) not getting the accolade she deserves.

There are some well-developed personalities here, human as well as canine, each with their own signature and I enjoy the humorous aspect of Mace’s persona. The well-plotted narrative gets complex—nothing is ever simple—and the surprise in the conclusion caught me off-guard. I love getting the down-low on each of the dogs, their specific roles. The race to find the little girl is truly a matter of beating the clock with themes that go beyond abduction.

It’s a fast-paced mystery, filled with the flawed Mace growing a bit with each episode. I've enjoyed them all and looking for Book 4. 4.5 stars

When a rich investor calls in a kidnapping Mace and Vira are on the case. Mace a dog cadaver trainer and Vira the cadaver dog works the case and leads them to the body which is when the story takes a big twist. This was a good mystery story made a little better because of Vira the cadaver dog. Love a good story with a dog in it ❤️🐕

I just love, love, love this series! Each book in the series gets better and better! Mace runs dog obedience classes and also trains cadaver dogs. The conversations between he and his dogs is priceless. Each dog has its own personality and I feel like I got to know them. A romance is brewing between he and Kippy, a cop, a dog lover too. Judging from the ending, there will be a third book and I cannot wait!
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

As usual, Mr. Burton does a bang-up job of incorporating his HRD dogs (Human Remains Detection) into a ripping good mystery.

Our lovable hero Mace is back, along with his talented dog pack and his girl/cop Kippy. They are immediately embroiled in the case of a wealthy financier's kidnapped wife and child. When the wife quickly turns up dead, the race is on to find the five-year-old daughter.

Twists and turns, bad buys galore, this quick read has it all. My only quibble, and it's a tiny one, is that we are only treated to the dogs at the beginning and briefly again at the end. I was halfway through the story when I realized I'd completely forgotten this was supposed to be about Mace and his special dog Vira. The story, while interesting and a page turner for sure, went for too many chapters without even mentioning our dynamic duo.

However, still a most pleasant way to pass an afternoon. Next time though, more dogs, please!

Another fun book with the canine motley crew along with their humans. This one more with "Vira" than the others. Read the cover for descriptions, no book report from me. I would have done a 5 but it was a slow start and I had a hard time keeping all the mobsters' names straight. Trying the prologue back to the ending was a little rushed and not obvious as well. Not sure all that was even necessary. Anyway, great fun book.Enjoy!
I was provided an advanced reader copy and was under no obligation to provide a review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.

The Lost by Jeffrey B. Burton is the third book in the Mace Reid K-9 Mysteries. Mace is a dog trainer who trains his own dogs as cadaver dogs. His dog Vira is exceptional and is at the center of this story. It's a great mystery with a few twists and turns and kept me guessing most of the way through.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for my ARC of this book. I look forward to more in this series.

Third book in the Mace Reid series. I enjoyed it quite a bit though it was a little overly complicated. I enjoy the dogs and their different personalities and the relationship between Mace and Kippy. I will definitely read the next book in the series.

Mason Reid and his cadaver dog Vira are the main characters in this book. The dog plays a crucial role, she is not just a side-kick.

A billionaire is beaten and his wife and daughter disappear. Reid and Vira are brought in to solve the mystery before time runs out.

The Lost is a fast read with pacing that is spot on and a narrative that is exciting.

The latest Jeffrey Burton delivers an unusual thriller made more sympathetic with Mace Reid and his canine companions. The Lost has the violence and suspense of a thriller but it is mitigated by the bond that Mace Reid has with his dogs. As Mace comes into the field, he links clues that would otherwise be ignored and his companions find a way to keep even the most difficult and terrifying moments bearable.

During the pandemic, I've moved away from the violence of the usual thrillers and police procedurals. The kinder side of these Mace Reid books is a balm during tough times.

Cloak and Dagger is how this book starts. It is a little confusing at first as you encounter a wealthy man talking about expensive paintings and the disappearance of some of the pieces, as well as, people. Next you meet a billionaire who claims to have had a home invasion robbery and his wife and daughter are missing. Enter Mace Reid and his K-9 team who try to find the mother and daughter and solve the case. A lot is going on and at times it's a little hard to keep tract of things. Mace's character is fun, as are the cadaver dogs he works with. The story keeps your interest fairly well. I may have been a little lost as this is the 3rd book in the series but my 1st. It is worth reading though. I recommend this novel.

If you are curious about how police work goes, you will love this book. What an interesting career Mace and his kids have. The storyline is interesting and the characters are wonderful. I love how Mace, Kippy, and Vira work together. I would really like to be in Vira’s pack. I would like to hang out with all the kids. I very much enjoyed this book and can’t wait to follow them through their next case. I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.

I just finished reading The Lost by Jeffrey Burton and if like me, you love dogs and thrillers, then trust me, this is right up your alley! While this is technically the 3rd in a series, it can be read as a standalone and this was the first one I have read. When a little girl is kidnapped and her mother murdered, Mace and his cadaver dogs are called to the scene to help. What he doesn't expect, is to end up at gunpoint with the Russian Mafia. This book was a quick read and a much needed escape. And how can you not love the whole dog pack? I will definitely be going back and reading his other books in this series.

Overall, I found this book to be a quick, easy read with a few surprises thrown in. I've read the other two books in the series, however, this book can be read as a standalone. I think my favorite aspect of the main character's (Mason Reid's) personality is that he isn't the stereotypical macho guy. He actually seems like a nice guy who just wants to help people using his pack of finders (his HRD trained dogs). His dry sense of humor adds a bit of cheesy comic relief to the book. The plot was interesting and kept my attention. It wasn't always clear to the reader what exactly was happening, which lead to some of the previously mentioned surprises later in the book.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing a copy for review.

An intriguing page turner. The dogs add so much to the story. This was my first adventure with Mace Reid and his cadaver dogs. I am eager to read the previous ones. Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy via NetGalley.

The Lost A Mace Reid K-9 Mystery by Jeffrey B Burton

273 Pages
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books
Release Date June 28, 2022

Fiction, Mystery, Thriller, K-9, Human Remain Detection Dogs, Police, Kidnapping

The book begins with a mysterious host meeting his guest. This sets the stage for the rest of the story. Mace Reid is a K-9 trainer and has a pack of human remain detection dogs. Vira – short for Elvira, his golden retriever, takes detecting up a notch. She not only finds bodies, but she can link the killer to the bodies. In this case, Vira knows who killed Calley Druckman. Mace and Agent Kippy Gimm believe her, but they do not have any proof. You certainly can’t arrest someone just because a dog told you.

This is the third book in the series. The story is fast paced, the characters are well developed. It is written in first (by Mace) and third person points of view. I love the author’s writing style. He really makes his characters personalities come through, especially the dogs. If you enjoy murder mysteries and dogs, you will like this series.

Thank you Netgalley for being so awesome and allowing me to read this book. I have read other Burton books and again such wonderful characters and story prevail. Dog lovers and mystery/thriller lovers rejoice! When does the next one come out!!!

Mace Reid and his cadaver dog, Vira, are called to the home of financier Kenneth J. Druckman by the FBI. Supposedly there was a home invasion, Druckman was beat up, jewels were stolen, and so were Druckman's supermodel wife and six-year-old daughter. Mace and Vira quickly find the murdered body of the wife and Vira indicates that Druckman is the guilty party. But young Eleanor is still missing.

This leaves Mace and his girlfriend Kippy, Chicago homicide's new darling, to find the missing girl. But things are complicated and more people than Druckman are lying.

The story is told from multiple viewpoints including those of a few of the villains of the story. When all is untangled, we have a story of greed financial chicanery including Ponzi schemes, the Russian mobs, and a mysterious financial mogul who isn't going to allow himself to be cheated.

Along the way we have great scenes with Mace, Kippy, and his assorted dogs. I loved Mace's voice as he narrated is sections of the story.

Fans of the series will enjoy this third adventure.

The Lost by Jeffrey Burton is the third book in his Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. This is a complex, action-packed whodunit. Mace Reid, along with his cadaver dog golden retriever Vira and Kippy now a Chicago police detective, find themselves in some very precarious positions. Thank goodness for Vira. I like these two main characters and Vira adds a lot to the story.It was fun seeing all the interactions and personality traits of the rest of the dogs in Mace's and Vira's "pack."I really enjoyed this story and look forward to more books in the series.

This book hooks you on the first page and doesn't let go. It's a gripping murder mystery that is full of twists and turns and will keep you guessing until the end. It's a great read that you don't want to miss.
I received a complimentary copy from St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books via NetGalley and was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.

The Lost by Jeffrey B Burton is the 3rd book in his Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series. Refresher: Mace Reid, our hero, trains dogs (cadaver dogs) that can hunt for dead bodies. He works with the police, and Vira, one of his amazing dogs (Sue, Maggie, Delta and Bill), has unique abilities to sense things besides dead bodies, such as a slight paranormal element of sensing the murderer.

Mace receives a call from Special Agent Len Squires to bring Vira to the home of Billionaire Financier Kenneth Druckman, who was assaulted and his wife and daughter have been kidnapped. A ransom has been demanded, with Mace and Vira assigned to trek on the extensive grounds around the mansion. Vira finds the dead body of the wife, but the daughter is still missing; however, Vira finds the trail leads back to the Druckman’s estate. Unable to prove to Squires, Mace now suspects the husband had a hand in killing his wife.
Kippy Grimm, our heroine and Mace’s girlfriend, is a homicide detective, and starts to work close with Mace and Vira to investigate Druckman and his Russian mob connections. What follows is a wonderful exciting, tense thriller, with non-stop action, edge of your seat suspense, and a few twists along the way, Things will escalate when Mace and Kippy searching for the daughter and Vira (who is protecting the girl), find themselves in intense danger.

The Lost was intriguing and tense, with a complex tale of kidnapping, murder, and the Russian mob. To tell too much more would be spoilers, and this is the kind of book you need to read to understand. Mace continues to be a wonderful hero, as well as Kippy, who is tough,savvy and strong. Not to mention Vira, who remains the star of this series, being an amazing dog.

The Lost was another great addition to this series, and very well written by Jeffrey B. Burton. If you enjoy murder mystery thrillers, with great characters and wonderful specialized cadaver dogs, you need to read this book.

When the wife and young daughter of a wealthy Chicago financier are kidnapped during a home invasion, Mace Reid and his golden retriever Vira, a trained human remains detection (HRD) dog, are called in to help. The story is told from multiple points of view, including Mace (who has a dry, depreciating wit) and various characters involved in the case. The story is not as focused on Mace, Vira's "special talent", the rest of Mace's pack of HRD dogs, and his girlfriend, Chicago police detective Kippy Grimm, as the first two books in the series, but they all play a role; for this reason, although I think this book would be fine as a standalone, the reader may enjoy the characters more if they have the "backstory" from the earlier books. Here, the author branches out to explore the mindset and motivations of different people involved in the crime(s). I thought the story was fast-paced, and although we know who the criminals are early on, there were still several surprises along the way.

I received an ARC of this book. I love this series! Great characters, especially the furry ones. Intriguing mystery that kept me reading straight through until the end. Highly recommend!

I’m not a dog person but so far I love this series. You realize that these dogs really are family. Reed’s affection and concerns for their wellbeing is toughing. The description of the various dog characters will make you smile and to top it off they earn their keep by locating dead bodies, identifying the guilty party and most important of all defending Reed when needed even when it causes them bodily harm.
To keep Reed also a bit grounded with the human race we have Detective Kippy Gimm who does her best to be part of this family without been pushy or overly demanding. Mostly been a great friend to Reed and shares in the adoration from the dogs.
I think this book is a bit darker than the previous ones and I feel you needed to concentrate a bit more to make sure you know everything that is happening but all by all I really enjoyed this book and found it a fairly easy read with many different angles.

I have loved each of Jeffrey Burton’s books that I have read and this one is no different. Vera and crew are never left without something to do and craziness to get involved in. Another winner for Mace and his crew.

Thank you @minotaurbooks and @netgalley for the #gifted eARC of THE LOST.

Mace Reid and his pack of tracker dogs are back for another wild ride in the third installment of Jeffrey B. Burton’s series. This time Mace, Kippy and the dogs are searching for a kidnapped billionaire’s young daughter after a home invasion gone wrong leaves her father beaten and her mother murdered.

Burton delivers another binge-able read with THE LOST. I sped through this one in just two days. The short chapters and quick pacing make this book hard to put down. While we got lots of time with Vira, Mace’s golden retriever, the other tracker dogs (Sue, Delta Dawn, Maggie May and Bill) don’t get as much love in this one. I missed Sue and his no nonsense attitude and relished the few chapters he appeared in.

If you’re looking for a thriller to keep you entertained while on the beach this summer, then be sure to check out this series!

THE LOST is out June 28, 2022.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4764515918?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce3uZumlnwY/

I really enjoy the Mace Reid books, and I was looking forward to starting the third in the series. It's not often you see a dog-centric book in the genre, and I appreciate both the insight and humor this brings to the table.

From the publisher via Goodreads: Glencoe, Illinois: A home invasion turned kidnapping at the mansion of billionaire financier Kenneth J. Druckman brings Mason “Mace” Reid and his cadaver dog, Vira, to this wealthy northern suburb of Chicago. Druckman was assaulted, left behind while his wife and young daughter were taken for ransom.

This was a fun, quick read with a lot of heart. The plot was well structured and moved, the character voices were engaging, and the conflict was a good blend of tense and readable. There were humorous moments that also toned down some of the more serious/graphic moments, so I think this will find a home with many readers--especially ones who love their canine companions as much as Mace does.

Big thanks to Minotaur and NetGalley for providing an eARC in exchange for honest review consideration.

(3.5)Intense with lightness and humor and dogs!!! I absolutely love the dog family in the Mace Reid series. They always make this series a winner. Great mystery with the story being told from several points of view. Along with murder, kidnapping there is acknowledgment of the mob, of human trafficking. This is book 3, more intense than the previous 3. It has an in depth plot with so many twist and surprises that I got a little lost. Mace, Kip, Vira (for Elvira :) ) and the rest will always have me looking for their next adventure. Thank you#Jeffreybburton #Minotaur Books and #NetGalley for the arc. I freely volunteer my thoughts and opinions.

Thank you Netgalley and Minotaur Books for the chance to read an advance copy of The lost by Jeffrey B. Burton. The lost is the 3rd novel in the Mace Reid K-9 mystery series and this time Mace and his canine companions, The Finders find themselves immersed in a home invasion, the husband assaulted and the wife and child kidnapped; Vira, the star of the pack, quickly locates the dead body of the wife, but the child Eleanor is missing. Vira quickly leads Mace back to the house and to Druckman, who staged the whole thing. But where is Eleanor? Mace, Vira and Detective Kippy 'Gimm must figure out the clues in order to find Eleanor in time. I am a big fan of this series. The relationship between Mace and his dogs is wonderful. Each dog has their own personality and are all adorable and I love the names of the dogs.! Each of those songs are favourites of mine! I enjoy Mace's character. He is an amateur detective; and he knows he is amateur; but he gets the job done. He also knows the stars of the team are his dogs. I enjoy the relationship he has with Kippy. They work so well together, Totally recommend this series!!!!

What a great story! I love all the twists and just when I have it all figured out, there’s a new twist that I never saw coming. Mace and Vira (Ira with a “V”) are great together, it seems that Vira has her own personality that comes out in the writing and now Kippy is around a lot more and fits well with Mace and his doggie crew. I hope this series will continue, I really enjoy reading it!

This review is based on an ARC from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions are my own.

If you are looking for a good suspense series filled with wonderful characters, animal and human, then you need to read Jeffrey B. Burton’s Mace Reid K-9 Mysteries!

I’ve enjoyed every book in this series, and The Lost seemed a bit more twisted and depraved than the others… and I loved it. Especially the very end with the basement… that left an impression on me.

I love how Burton’s sense of humor can be seen throughout the book and hope that in real life he’s as amusing. I mean, who else would think about a pair of dogs who are sisters and continually gaslight the main character?!?

Besides the humor (human and animal) that is woven throughout the book, Burton’s characters are so well developed… even the ones we get introduced to in this book. I do think that the young girl and the dogs really stole the show in this one.

If you’re looking for a fast-paced summer read then make sure to get a copy of The Lost. And while you don’t need to start the series from the beginning, I would recommend beginning with, The Finders, if you are new to the series.

Fans of the series (and new readers) should know that Mace's dogs play a lesser role in this complex and twisty novel than they have in the past but that doesn't mean that Vira isn't critical or that it's a lesser installment in the series. It will be fine as a standalone, btw. Mace, who owns five cadaver dogs, works with law enforcement (and his love interest Kippy, a detective). This time, he's called to the estate of Kenneth Druckman (who you will come to really dislike a lot) because Druckman's wife and daughter have been taken after a home invasion- except it wasn't. Mace and Vira find Calley Druckman's body but where is five year old Elle? Druckman has been backed into a financial corner and is now beholden to a mysterious man and a group of murderous bad guys after the valuable jewels he committed to selling to pay part of his debt. No spoilers from me but know that Mace, Kippy, and Vira make finding Elle their highest priority. This moves around in time and perspective, the ending in the mansion was gratuitous and inconsistent with the rest of the story, and some of the financial machinations were a little confusing but it kept me engaged and reading. Thanks to netgalley for the ARC. I'm looking forward to the next one.

The Lost by Jeffrey B. Burton is the 3rd book in his Mace Reid K-9 Mystery series.

"Mace is called to the scene of a home invasion. He takes Vira, who has a special sniffing talent, with him. The father was beaten and the wife and child were abducted. Vira lets Mace know that something is fishy with the father, who happens to be a wealthy CEO of an investment firm. But Mace and the FBI don't realize that someone has discovered the father's secrets and wants payback. And the race is on to find the missing family members."

If you like some humor and canine action in your crime fiction you should enjoy this series. Mace is a smart-aleck and keeps you chuckling as he tries to find answers. The dogs are smart and do what they want (just like real life dogs) But if they're pack is threatened they will protect at all costs.

Some interesting characters here and the first time I've ever seen the use of a certain object as a murder weapon. (That was different)

Nice addition to the series from Burton that can be read as a stand-alone.

The Lost is another great book in the Mace Reid K-9 series.

There is murder, kidnapping, corruption and so much more.

Of course there is Mace, Kippy a detective but so much more than that and above all the dogs.

Vira steals my heart, Billy makes me laugh and the rest of the dogs all seem so human.

Mace trains the dogs as search dogs and top of the list cadaver dogs.

When a child goes missing at Mace and his dogs are right there to help out.

Tension mounts, twists and turns , a red herring or two keep those pages turning.

I love this series and cant wait for Book 4 to see what the dogs are up too next.

Thanks to NetGalley and St Martin's Press, Minotaur Books for another great mystery/adventure.