The Path to Kindness

Poems of Connection and Joy

Pub Date 12 Apr 2022 | Archive Date 12 Apr 2022
Storey Publishing, Storey Publishing, LLC

Talking about this book? Use #ThePathtoKindness #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Following the success and momentum of his anthology How to Love the World (70,000 copies in print)James Crews' new collection, The Path to Kindness, offers more than 100 deeply felt and relatable poems from a diverse range of voices including well-known writers Julia Alvarez, Marie Howe, Ellen Bass, Naomi Shihab Nye, Alberto Ríos, Ross Gay, and Ada Limón, as well as new and emerging voices. Featured Black writers include January Gill O’Neil, Tracy K. Smith, and Cornelius Eady. Native American writers include Kimberly Blaeser, Joy Harjo (current U.S. Poet Laureate), and Linda Hogan. The collection also features international voices, including Canadian poets Lorna Crozier and Susan Musgrave. Presented in the same perfect-in-the-hand format as How to Love the World, the collection includes prompts for journaling and exploration of selected poems, a book group guide, bios of all the contributing poets, and stunning cover art by award-winning artist Dinara Mirtalipova. A foreword by Danusha Laméris, along with her popular poem "Small Kindnesses," is also included.

Following the success and momentum of his anthology How to Love the World (70,000 copies in print)James Crews' new collection, The Path to Kindness, offers more than 100 deeply felt and...

PRICE £11.99 (GBP)

Send To Kindle (PDF)

•~Book Review~• 🌾Kindness. /ˈkʌɪn(d)nəs/ noun - • the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. • a kind act Earth. A planet. Home to millions of people. Sorry if I do not know the approximate number of people that inhabit the earth but while walking on the road, have you seen the faces of people that pass you by? What do you see? People with myriad faces. Smiling, talking, sad , happy and so much more. Can you see what goes on inside their hearts? Their minds? In their heads? So much hidden into this little body of ours, incomprehensible to others while everyone of us suffer from something inside. A little act of kindness. This. These little tiny acts of compassion is so much more, so much soothing, so much healing. Creating waves of joys and connections, these tiny acts have a huge transcendental power that changes your moments and infact your lives. The Path To Kindness is collection of poems of Joys and kindness , edited by James Crew. This collection has a rich content endowed with beautiful soul touching poems of various writers like Julia Alvarez, Marie Howe, Ellen Bass, Naomi Shihab Nye, Alberto Ríos, Ross Gay, and Ada Limón, as well as new and emerging voices. Featured Black writers include January Gill O’Neil, Tracy K. Smith, and Cornelius Eady. Native American writers include Kimberly Blaeser, Joy Harjo (current U.S. Poet Laureate), and Linda Hogan. The collection also features international voices, including Canadian poets Lorna Crozier and Susan Musgrave celebrating the joys of kindness and mindfulness. This book of poems comes with journaling prompts, exploration of certain selected poems, book readers guide and introduction to all the contributing writers. 🌾 Each poem in the book has touched my soul. I can't even describe the peace it has given me in my times of heart ache and mental anguish. I am fortunate to discover this book and having read it, this book is going to be one of my favourites all time. I have read several poems twice and thrice and so on , and everytime I have read it, it has soothed my heart and my mind. I cannot thank James Crew, Storey Publishing and Netgalley enough for providing me with the the opportunity to read and review it.

The Path to Kindness is a beautiful book of poetry. Lovingly edited by James Crews, each section includes reflection and writing exercises for those inspired to write their own. There are discussion questions at the end to further study these works. I enjoyed taking a break from my day to sit with a poem or two. I know I’ll enjoy returning to this book in the future.

This is a beautiful book. With lovely poems and statements that I could really resonate with. A wonderful book that is so emotive that some of these words will stay with me for a long time. It has a wonderful collection of new and well established poets with varying length so an ideal read to duo in and out of.

** A copy of The Path to Kindness was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ** Last year, I read and loved an ARC of How to Love the World. The Path to Kindness is a perfect companion to Crews' previous edited collection. This collection is like a hug - something we all need now. I also particularly appreciated the choice to include some lesser known poets, whose work I am excited to now follow.

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is a beautiful collection! There's a variety of poems centering around themes of connection, joy, and being. All of the poems are fairly short. It makes for a quick and thoughtful read. Overall a great find and thought-provoking collection.

Let me just say that the cover of this book is so pretty, but the title spoke to me more. I expected this to be a self-help book, but through the stories of kindness, the vulnerability and authenticity of the poems, of how the prose is written--it spoke to me like a garden full of the little things I haven't appreciated of life. We have the same experiences of receiving and giving kindness, but it is often overlooked and forgotten unless we were calm and really in gratitude state of life. This book was a reminder for me to reflect especially during the Holidays (to which I read this) and being burnt out of academics and work, this has been a look back that there are the beauty of life shows up in little ways that we fail to remember. I have been in a negativity mind rush this month, but the reflective pauses made me halt those thoughts and redirect my thoughts into a more appreciative state. Thank you NetGalley for this book, this has been of my favorite reads this year. I look forward to getting myself a copy!