We Belong

Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2022
Lerner Publishing Group, Carolrhoda Books ®

Talking about this book? Use #WeBelong #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

We all belong!

You and I, we're alike, / but we're different too. / That's not good. / That's not bad. / It's just what is true.

Explore and celebrate who you are and who others are too! Rhyming verse by Laura Purdie Salas invites others to notice the diversity of our world and affirm that we all belong, just as we are. Bright illustrations by Carlos Vélez Aquilera feature a diverse group of children, playing and learning in an urban setting.

We all belong!

Explore and celebrate who you are and who others are too! Rhyming...

Love the diversity and message in this children’s book, with something new to discover on every page! So glad I was able to read this one to my daughter thanks to NetGalley, she really enjoyed looking at each scene, and seeing friends of all ages and colors like her own. The rhyming made it easy for her to follow along, while still giving such well written thoughts on what I feel is one of the most important things for children to learn — we’re all different, and that’s what makes us ourselves & to embrace that! This children’s book was the perfect blend of words and illustrations, I cannot wait to add a copy to our children’s library!

In this short picturebook we see many different types of people. This is important as the world itself is very diverse and it's important to acknowledge the differences in everyone. This goes along with knowing that we are the same deep down. This is a very sweet and powerful read and would definitely recommend for anyone to buy for kids they know.

Thia book is about the fact that we all live on this earth and we all deserve to be here. It shows both kids and adults with exceptional abilities as well as disabilities trying to live and be happy.. The theme of this book as that we deserve to be happy being who we are. The art in his book is beautiful! The colors are fantastic and the pictures are detailed. I love books that rhyme but the message made sense with the words chosen and nothing felt forced overall. I like rhe mesaage that being one thing or another does not mean good or bad it is just a fact. I would love to see this message in schools and doctor's offices as well. I like the length of the book. It covered all of the important scenarios as to how someone can be different. This book has a great message and presentation.

This children's book uses playful rhyme and colorful images to celebrate the strength of diversity. I especially enjoy all the types of difference it embraces, from choosing what toys and activities you like without considering gender norms to considering the advantages of being very tall or very short.⁠ ⁠ It would be great for a child questioning his or her differences or trying to understand the differences of a classmate, neighbor, or friend.

I can't wait to get this in my classroom! This is a lovely ode to all of our wonderful differences as humans and why they make us special and perfect just the way we are. The message is fantastic and so necessary---there is room for everyone and everyone has something to contribute! The rhyming structure works well and makes this a lyrical read. The illustrations are vivid and full of lively detail. I appreciated the wide variety of people depicted on the page. There was a lovely mix of gender expressions, ethnicities, races, abilities, and even a bit of body diversity, which will make it easier for kids to see themselves on the page. This would be an excellent circle time book and a great addition to pre-K school and classroom libraries. Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review!

This is a book we all need. Parents and children alike. Full of lush and saturated illustrations it is a book I wish I had as a child.

Wow, this book was really amazing. It was short and sweet, with beautiful illustrations that touched on the diversity of people on this Earth and that we all belong here. It brought up gender, race, background, locality, mental health, and so many other things that can differentiate humans. But it explained why everything is okay and makes us who we are. Quite remarkable.

Thank you NetGalley and Lerner Publishing Group, Carolrhoda Books for allowing me to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are purely my own and not affiliated with any brand. I adored this book! Laura Purdie Salas did an excellent job with her writing. There were so many lines that I want on a poster or a throw pillow. It was such an empowering story. Carlos Velez Aguilera's illustration were amazing. I loved the art in this book and it worked with the story seamlessly. I appreciated all the diversity in this story. I can't wait to purchase this book!

This beautiful children’s story takes you on a poetic adventure in embracing the things that make us unique. I love that the author included more diversity than just skin tone in this wonderfully done book. The illustrations represent people from many ethnic backgrounds, abilities, sizes, and other characteristics that make each of us who we are. As the mother of a child with a facial port wine birthmark I love seeing authors promote diversity through children’s literature. I hope one day we will see characters with facial birthmarks as well. The writing is catchy and flows so well. I really loved the illustrations and felt they compliment the story perfectly. This book belongs in every classroom and library worldwide.

I think there are many children out there who may feel like they don't belong for whatever reason. But this book, We Belong, is a beautiful and affirming book which I hope can help children see that they do belong. Told in rhyming verse coupled with some of the most beautiful illustrations I've ever seen in a children's book, the message is clear: no matter who you are, what you look like, what you're like, where you come from, or what you can do . . . you belong. I think this book is perfect for kindergarten or even lower elementary teachers to have in their classrooms.

5 ⭐️ // It is one of my goals in life to ensure others feel welcome, so I was immediately drawn to the title, We Belong. I enjoyed reading this children’s book as it simplifies appreciating each person for who they are. Also, the author points out the importance of different emotions and how it connects us to others. It really should be simple - to celebrate our differences and similarities, so this story can be an important lesson for both the adult reader and the children listening. Not only did the graphics show representation for different ethnicities and religions, but there were individuals with disabilities as well. Overall, I was very impressed by the illustrations and how they tied into the writing. I would happily purchase this book for my friends and family who are teachers or parents. Additionally, I can see myself reading this story to my future kids before bed. Thank you for providing me an ARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, NetGalley.

We Belong is a short, rhyming book about all the differences you'll see within your peers and why it's ok for you to be you and them to be them regardless of what's alike and what's different. Great resource for teaching young children about inclusion.