Let Me Count the Ways

A Memoir

Pub Date 01 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 28 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #LetMeCounttheWays #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Growing up in a small town in South Texas in the eighties and nineties, poverty, machismo, and drug addiction were everywhere for Tomás Q. Morín. He was around four or five years old when he first remembers his father cooking heroin, and he recalls many times he and his mother accompanied his father while he was on the hunt for more, Morín in the back seat keeping an eye out for unmarked cop cars, just as his father taught him. It was on one of these drives that, for the first time, he blinked in a way that evolution hadn’t intended.

Let Me Count the Ways is the memoir of a journey into obsessive-compulsive disorder, a mechanism to survive a childhood filled with pain, violence, and unpredictability. Morín’s compulsions were a way to hold onto his love for his family in uncertain times until OCD became a prison he struggled for decades to escape. Tender, unflinching, and even funny, this vivid portrait of South Texas life challenges our ideas about fatherhood, drug abuse, and mental illness.

Advance Praise

“In this fearsome, beautiful memoir, Tomás Q. Morín takes us on ‘a journey exploring the limits of suffering and love.’ Those are the words he uses to praise a fellow poet, but the story of his upbringing is just such a wild trip. The young Tomás constantly searches for the right words to say to his beloveds, his abusers. And in Let Me Count the Ways, every episode is a prose poem.”—Maxine Hong Kingston, author of China Men and The Woman Warrior

Let Me Count the Ways is an origin poem wrapped in a travel essay, rocking the full wings of fiction. This means it is a memoir, a stunning memoir about the worn glory of counting up, counting down, and counting in. It is simply the layered work of a soulful magician welcoming us behind our own curtains. Genius.”—Kiese Laymon, author of Heavy: An American Memoir

Send To Kindle (PDF)

A heartwrenching, unflinching memoir by one of our best contemporary poets. A must read for everyone --all about community, family, repair of the self, and triumph over adversity.