Under a Sky of Memories

Pub Date 11 Jan 2022 | Archive Date 25 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #UnderaSkyofMemories #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From the bestselling author of The Last Correspondent comes the powerful story of three brave women who go to war—and end up fighting for their lives.

Sicily, 1943. Three American women, all nurses in the Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron, are determined to do all they can for their country. Vita is fun-loving, Dot shy and sweet-natured, and Evelyn practical and determined, but for all their differences, a life of military service pulls the three together as firm friends.

When they’re selected for a daring mission, the women are proud to play their part. But disaster strikes when their plane crash-lands behind enemy lines in occupied Albania. Together with twenty-three other medics, they find themselves trapped, cut off from all communication with the squadron, and in terrifying and unimaginable danger.

As days and nights pass without hope of rescue, the group must travel on foot across unfamiliar terrain thick with Nazis and their violent local allies. Can Evelyn, Vita, and Dot survive the perilous journey through enemy territory—and finally find their way home?

Sicily, 1943. Three American women, all nurses in...

A Note From the Publisher

Soraya M. Lane graduated with a law degree before realizing that law wasn’t the career for her and that her future was in writing. She is the author of historical and contemporary women’s fiction, and her novel Wives of War was an Amazon Charts bestseller. Soraya lives on a small farm in her native New Zealand with her husband, their two young sons, and a collection of four-legged friends. When she’s not writing, she loves to be outside playing make-believe with her children or snuggled up inside reading. For more information about Soraya and her books, visit www.sorayalane.com or www.facebook.com/SorayaLaneAuthor, or follow her on Twitter: @Soraya_Lane.

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781542031974
PRICE £8.99 (GBP)

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book! This book was phenomenal and I couldn’t put it down. Soraya is a masterful storyteller and one who takes the reader into the story alongside her. Her latest book follows Evelyn, Vita, and Dot, newly minted nurses as they join the 807th Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron (MAETS) in Italy during WWII. The girls are sent with 23 other members to evacuate servicemen when their plane crashes and they have to learn to survive, not knowing where they’re at or who’s friend or enemy. I had a knot in my stomach for most of the book as I eagerly turned pages to learned what would happen with our three leading ladies. One of the things I love about Soraya’s books is how she bring the characters together and this book is no different. Evelyn, Vita, and Dot all come from different backgrounds but they bond together because of the situation they’re in. The sisterhood component is one of my favorite parts about this book! This is an absolute must read and I highly recommend it.

What a thriller! This book had me on the edge of my seat wondering if these three nurses would beat the odds and make it home. I loved the medical aspect of it, and Ms. Lane did a wonderful job at the historical medical accuracy during WWII. This book was a survival story, and showed that physical survival is determined not just by your circumstances but by the quality and grit of your mental strength. The three characters were likable, courageous, and patriotic, and I was rooting for them all. Ms. Lane has a wonderful story-telling ability, and her writing will draw you in. This book was unputdownable because I had to know what would happen next. Very highly recommended!

I liked this book. It is great historical fiction and the author is talented, creative, and weaves a fabulous story. I did not want to put it down and that is saying quite a bit as I read hundreds of books each year. The characters were likable, and I hoped the best for them. Historical fiction at its best. Looking forward to more of the same from this author. Good job. Well done...

“Under a Sky of Memories” by Soraya Lane tells the previously mainly unknown WWII story about a military airplane carrying medical personnel going down behind enemy lines in occupied Albania. This story follows three nurses - Vita, Evelyn, and Dot - exploring their relationship with each other and their will to survive in Albania. One of the things I really enjoy about Ms. Lane’s books (and I’ve read a number of them - and eagerly look forward to her next one) is that she shares WWII stories that are usually unknown or have very little written about them. Her author’s notes always include where she received her inspiration for the story - along with what she changed from the “facts.” Ms. Lane’s books also contain characters from different backgrounds, but she has them melding together and working together (sisterhood!), sometimes after a few rocky bumps along the way. For that reason, I really enjoy Ms. Lane’s books. For some reason, something just didn't quite click for me about this book (though, having said that, I did read it in a few hours). I’m not sure if it was because none of the main characters (with the exception of James) really appealed to me - or if I wanted to know more about the actual trek to the coast (though reading a book about trudging through unknown forests with little to eat in muddy conditions over 600 miles does not really make for a rather interesting book … ). I did find the epilogue a nice wrap-up for the characters. A solid 3.5 stars, but rounded up to 4 because, let’s be honest, I’m awaiting Ms. Lane’s next WWII adventure and am looking forward to reading it.

With grateful thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest opinion. Having read most of this authors books, I was delighted to have a chance to read this book. As always another beautiful cover and a rather intriguing title, and once you read the book makes great sense. 3 individual girls offering up there services to be nurses and make there country proud is the tale that is going to be unfolding , its intriguing its heartbreaking totally bizarre at points but it keeps you turning the pages your heart is in your mouth at many stages, willing them on I can not praise this book enough and highly recommend.

Evelyn, Vita and Dot are American nurses who have completed a specialist flight training program, and are now qualified members of the Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron. After being wounded in action, to increase the soldiers chances of survival, they needed to get to a hospital for treatment and quickly. The solution, planes specially fitted out to carry around twenty six wounded patients, with one nurse, a medic, and a surgeon aboard to look after them during the flight. The nurses leave for their first overseas posting, the destination is all very hush hush, and everyone’s feeling nervous. Dot, Evelyn and Vita become best friends, and they come from different walks of life. Evelyn’s mature of her age and sensible, her mother passed away when she was a teenager, she looked after her father and three younger sisters. Dot was orphaned at a young age, she was raised by her elderly grandparents, and she’s quiet and rather shy. Vita comes from a wealthy background, she’s confident and looks like a movie star. They arrive in Sicily in 1943, a group of twenty six people are selected for a special mission, flying in a big Skytrooper and they come under enemy fire. The plane’s pilot Bobby Redfern, manages to preform an amazing crash landing, and they have no idea where they are? The crew’s behind enemy lines in Albania, with no form of communication and completely stranded. Local partisans come to their aid, not knowing if they can trust them, still in extreme danger and the nurses are scared. Constantly on the move, having to stay one step ahead of the Germans, with few supplies, sleeping rough, and it doesn’t take long for everyone to struggle physically and mentally. Evelyn, Vita and Dot have all experienced tragedy in their lives, they’re much stronger than they think, it takes every ounce of courage, determination and effort for them to keep going, continue to believe they have a chance of being rescued and despite the terrible odds. Under a Sky of Memories is a brilliant wartime story about three brave nurses, a handsome American pilot, a British agent and a local man called Stefa. I was totally hooked by the narrative after the first chapter, with a cast of gutsy characters, it’s a story about survival, in a brutal and remote place. I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK in exchange for an honest review, Soraya M. Lane at her best, a perfectly balance story, with a little romance, and five stars from me.

I have read some books by this offer and I was so glad to see it on netgalley. First and foremost, thank you Netgalley, the publisher and also the author for letting me read this. I’ve been a historical person since I was 10 years old. I’ve read just about every book there is to offer on nurses during WWII. Trust me, there’s not a lot. They’re all American nurses that met in basic. They’re all firecrackers for sure. What makes this book so special is the sisterhood these three ladies have. They have some extremely wonderful moments and sad ones. Ones you expect to see in a book of war. It is kinda like “This is our life now whether we like it or not.” Evelyn, Vita, Dot…they were all so special. Never giving up on faith. Another thing…I liked that this was based in south Europe. You never see books based in south Europe during WWII even though that is where a lot of things happened. I cried. I laughed. I cried some more. The ending, even though I did want it to end, was just the chefs kiss to wrap it up.

On the surface, they couldn't have been more dissimilar - Vita, the beautiful heiress; Evelyn, who'd held her family together for years following her mother's death; and brokenhearted Dot, who longed for a family more than anything.. But as they worked their way through training, to be inducted into the Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron (MAETS) as nurses, they became inseparable...until a plane crash behind enemy lines leads one of them to be parted from the others. Based on the true story of a planeload of MAETS nurses and medics that crashed in Albania during the war, "Under a Sky of Memories" tells the stories of three remarkable women, and introduces you to the men they fall in love with during the course of their harrowing adventure. Will they all survive? I'm not saying -- you'll have to read the book to find out!

Under a Sky of Memories by Soraya M. Lane is a fabulous WWII-era historical fiction that tells a gripping tale inspired by a true story of the disaster, survival, and rescue of a group behind enemy lanes in Albania. It is wonderful! I have been a HUGE fan of Ms. Lane for quite some time and have read literally all of her books. This has to be one of my most favorites yet. I had no clue about this true story of American women that were part of the Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron whose plane crashed into Albania during WWII. The story gives us insight into their accident and their survival until their final rescue. It is stunning that we know so little about this until recently. Their courage, determination, passion, drive, and heart just blew me away. The author’s ability to bring this story to life with such drama, suspense, detail, and emotion made me feel as if I was right there with them. I also enjoyed the Author’s Note that gave us context on what was true and what was fictional. It was very informative. I loved every moment of it. Cannot recommend this enough! 5/5 stars Thank you NG and Amazon Publishing UK for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion. I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately ( as of 11/24/21 no BB listing has been created and link will be updated when it is available )and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 1/11/22.

Under a Sky of Memories tells the story of three strong women, WWII nurses, who are ovecoming obstacles in their personal lives while helping the war effort. Dot is struggliing to get over a broken engagement, Evelyn has been surrogate mother to her younger siblings since their mother died, and Vita wants to do more with her life than be a debutante and marry a man her wealthy family approves of. All three women become a part of the MAETS - Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron - helping to airlift injured soldiers to safety. All three women find meaning in their lives - and this book has the satisfying ending that I love so well. Soraya M. Lane is becoming one of my new favorite authors! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Evelyn, Dot, and Vita all join up to serve in a new medical transport initiative during World War II. Each having their own reasons for volunteering despite how their families feel, the women form a tight bond as their training ends and their duty begins. One medical mission they were sent on had multiple medics and nurses to transport a large number of injured soldiers. En route, transportation between the pilots and control towers was nonexistent because the pilots didn’t have the code to let the towers know they were not the enemy. Encountering turbulence and German planes, the transport plane crashes in an unknown area. When Evelyn and Vita leave with two of the pilots to find help for their twenty-six crew members, they encounter a resistance fighter who informs them that they are in Albania. He takes them to a shelter until they unexpectedly have to leave due to German soldiers nearby. When the group scatters and then meets up the next morning, some of the women are missing, including Dot. Not wanting to leave the area, but knowing that Germans were looking for them, the group makes the tough decision to push ahead in hopes of being rescued. On the run in the mountains of Albania, they come across a British SOE who was also looking for them. The hopes of the group finding the missing nurses and getting out of Albania are met with obstacle after obstacle. What will happen to the group? Will they find Dot alive? Strong female characters are at the core of this novel. This is my second Soraya Lane book, and I will be reading more. Like the first one of her books I read, I completed it in a day and found myself lost in the mountains with them, hoping and praying to get out alive. Lovers of WWII historical fiction will love the story. 5 ⭐️ #netgalley #arc #underaskyofmemories #sorayamlane

UNDER A SKY OF MEMORIES by SORAYA M LANE is based on something that happened in 1943 when a group of American nurses and medics set out from Siciy to ferry injured soldiers to hospital and ended up crash landing in Albania, where they suffered incredible hardship for 63 days before being rescued. The fictitious characters the author has brought in add real interest to the story, as we get an idea of what these brave people went through, together with the danger that they brought to the villagers who helped them. I like the way the author has given us some insight into the country of Albania and her people at that time in history. Three young women, Evelyn, Vita and Dot, train as nurses and become part of the Medical Air Evacuatiin Transport Squadron, based in Sicily. They become close friends although they come from different backgrounds and each has her own reason for joining up. They set off on a mission to save even more wounded sodiers than usual, and end up stranded in Albania. As they, together with the other nurses, medics and pilots, struggle through unfrendly, occupied territory, we see their incedible strength of character. There is some romance in this unlikely situation……..and that is all I am going to tell you for fear of spoiling the read for you! I enjoyed the book, finding it exciting, inspiratinal, and really hard to put down. I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Amazon Publishing UK. The opinions in this review are completely my own.

MAETS - Medical Air Evacuation Squadron. It’s amazing all the things you don’t learn in history class but can learn from reading historical fiction. Though the story itself is historical fiction, the things that brave men and women of the 807th squadron did are all real. These squadrons evacuated soldiers from field hospitals and got them to hospitals where they could get the medical treatment they needed. We follow three very brave, very different women from the 807th, Evelyn, Vita and Dot. For everything these women go through within this story, it will leave your heart pounding and wanting more. From the horrid conditions they endured to the lifelong friendships developed you will devour every last page of this book. Soraya Lane writes incredible historical fiction about the women of WW2 that if it has her name on it, it’s a definitely a MUST read. Her descriptions pull out your emotions as well as the vivid descriptions taking you to the places within the story. Thank you #netgalley, #amazonpublishing and #SorayaLane for allowing me the opportunity to read this incredible story.

I just love books by this author!!! Once again, she has me captivated! This book quickly engaged me and kept me turning pages! If you like historical fiction, this is for you! Thank you to the publishers for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

I previously read a book by Soraya M. Lane and enjoyed it, so when I saw this I was looking forward to requesting it. I’m so glad I did, because it was an absolutely fantastic book, and easily one of my favorite reads this year. Nurses Evelyn, Dot, and Vita meet while training to become members of the Medical Air Evacuation Transport Squadron during WWII. Once they get to Sicily, al three are one a plane that gets lost and then crashes when the plane malfunctions during bad weather. When they discover they ended up in Albania, where they’re not only fighting against the Nazis, but also essentially fighting a civil war, the nurses, medics and pilots quickly realize the danger they’re in. When things start looking bleak, British SOE agent James Millard finds them. What comes next is a story of endurance and strength. This was such an incredible read, even more so because although the characters are fictional, the story of the plane crashing in Albania and their subsequent plight was real. These women in particular were amazing, and as a reader, I was rooting for them to survive, realize their inner strength, and see them happy in the lives and their romances that were building up throughout the story. Soraya M. Lane wrote it perfectly, making these characters seems so real with their determination and she was able to convey the suspense and heartbreak these characters felt while still maintains the heart and goodness of our main characters. I enjoyed all 3 romantic interests, but this story for me was really the beauty of friendship between Evelyn, Vita and Dot. I highly, highly recommend this, even if you don’t usually read historical fiction. Thank you to Netgalley for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I enjoy reading Soraya Lane's war books. They are always interesting and somewhat based on a little facts. Unlike a lot of war books hers are easy to read which is a plus for someone like me where history isn't my favorite genre. I love that hee books focus on the women during war.