Battlefield Earth

A Saga of the Year 3000

Pub Date 04 Jun 2016 | Archive Date 26 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #BattlefieldEarth #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Only 35,000 humans remain…

…and the aliens hunt them for sport.

Who will lead the uprising?

In the year A.D. 3000, Earth is a dystopian wasteland. The great cities stand crumbling as a brutal reminder of what we once were. When the Psychlos invaded, all the world’s armies mustered little resistance against the advanced alien weapons.

Now, the man animals serve one purpose.

Do the Psychlos’ bidding or face extinction.

One man, Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, has a plan. They must learn about the Psychlos and their weapons. He needs the other humans to follow him. And that may not be enough.

Can he outwit his Psychlo captor, Terl?

What is their weakness?

The fate of the Galaxy lies on the Battlefield of Earth.

This is one of the finest examples of science fiction ever written, with nuance, sub-plots, and action all the way through. A masterpiece at over 1,000 pages.

You’ll love this epic New York Times bestseller by L. Ron Hubbard, because his vision of science fiction was ahead of its time.

Only 35,000 humans remain…

…and the aliens hunt them for sport.

Who will lead the uprising?

Advance Praise

"Pulse-pounding mile-a-minute. It is a masterpiece of popular adventure science fiction.” —Brandon Sanderson

“Non-stop and fast-paced. Every chapter has a big bang-up adventure.” —Kevin J. Anderson (co-author of the Dune Sagas)

“Over 1,000 pages of thrills, spills, vicious aliens and noble humans. Un-put-downable.” —Neil Gaiman

“If you appreciate classic science fiction, you will relish this book. It is for readers seeking heroes, adventure, aliens, and sci-fi technology. I include young adults in my recommendation.” —OnlineBookClub.org

I remember reading this the first time around and thought it was a brilliant piece of Science-Fiction. Then they bought the movie out and put a bit of a dampener on it. The movie Battlefield Earth actually was not that bad, but I felt it did not do the book justice. Mind you, you can say that about a great deal of Sci-Fi books that have failed to do themselves justice on the big screen. The book itself is brilliant, and a true masterpiece. It is gratifying that it is being re-released with new content and new cover artwork. Superb artwork as it happens, from the artist Frank Frazetta. Hubbard called Frazetta king of the illustrators, and if you check out his portfolio on Google, you can see why he thinks so highly of him. This is Science-Fiction at its very best and will definitely stand the test of time. It is a relentless rollercoaster of a ride from beginning to end. It has been a joy to read Battlefield Earth once again, and it certainly deserves its place among the best of L. Ron Hubbard's work. Thank you, BooksGoSocial and NetGalley, for the ARC.

Hubbard has written a classic science fiction novel. It's the future and mankind has almost been wiped out of existence. On man is captured by the aliens and educated. He plans a rebellion. It's a great book, with heroes, villains and many scientific advances.

An outstanding Sci-Fi novel. You will not want to put this down! The story is fast paced and will keep you in suspense till the end! A must read for the science fiction fan! Thank you to #NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I surprisingly really enjoyed this book! It's a very classic SciFi book and it had a lot of tropes that I feel like are now overdone but since this book was published in the 80's I gave it a pass. This book had me laughing out loud and at the edge of my seat at the same time, the stakes were always very high. It was really cool learning about the world as the main character did, and it was cool seeing how different cultures survived an alien invasion. I'll probably never read anything else this author wrote but I'm glad I read this!

A remarkable work of science fiction. The first half is very enjoyable- the second half is incredibly, and unnecessarily, bloated. The biggest issue I have is the abysmal portrayal of female characters. They exist only to be rescued, do the menial work like cooking, and have their bottoms smacked.