How to Be the Best Third Wheel

Pub Date 03 May 2022 | Archive Date 03 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #HowtoBetheBestThirdWheel #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

It’s the last year of highschool, and everything has changed . . .

The mushy public displays of affection and lunches spent gushing about their new “boyfries” has Lara quickly realizing her last year of high school is nothing like she imagined.

Since she’s been back, Lara’s long time frenemy, James, has become impossibly annoying. Sure, they are now both third wheels, but why is he asking her to tutor him in classes? And why, after they start spending more time together, does she begin to notice how cute he looks when he smiles . . . uh oh.

Fighting for the attention of her best friends, catching some pretty new and confusing feelings for James, and wading through the pressures post-high-school plans all have Lara reeling. And to make matters worse, Lara’s beautiful and untrustworthy cousin conveniently appears and wiggles her way right between her and James’ budding relationship. Feeling like a third wheel in more ways than one, Lara must learn to accept that change is inevitable, love is complicated, and being the odd one out is sometimes where inner power is found.

It’s the last year of highschool, and everything has changed . . .

Advance Praise

A BuzzBooks Selection!

A BuzzBooks Selection!

Send To Kindle (PDF)

Lara de la Cruz is excited to be back home and ready for her Senior year of High School and get all scoope from her three besties since she was away in the Philippines all summer. To her surprise she is shocked to discover that all three of her friends are in relationships. Carol, Jasmine, and Kiera have been busy over the summer. And it has Lara feeling a certain way. Lara’s long time frenemy, James has also become the third wheel in his friend group. So why is he asking her to tutor him? He is so annoying, so why is she starting to notice how cute he is? Lara must learn to accept that some change is inevitable, love is messy, and being the odd one out is sometimes where inner power is found. This heartwarming story filled me with joy. I loved these characters and how real they felt. I laughed, cried, and just couldn't put this novel down. The story felt real and sincere I enjoyed how the main character felt as I know alot of times in HS I felt this same way. But they way Lara handles it with grace is amazing! A well crafted, wonderful and heartwarming story filled with friends, family, and feels that left me walking on sunshine. But other times I wish I could grab a few of these characters and scream.... Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. I really enjoyed this story. It's a heart-felt romance which light and easy chemistry and just enough adventure to keep you intrigued without the drama being too forced This is one heck of a cute read. I loved everything about it! Wattpad Books and NetGalley, Thank You for this eARC! I will post to my platforms closer to pub day!

Okayyy so where do we even begin with this one!? I guess we'll start with the starting itself, it was disastrous... I'm fully aware that what I'm initiating seems ominous but bare with me here. So yes, it didn't start out well. With certain very cringe scenes, stereotypical subplots, some highly questionable teachers, (the teacher legit said that she sensed sexual tension between two students????? and further kept pestering then about their relationship status?) a couple of almost (keyword) cheating accidents and countless betrayals, everything made me want to curl into myself like a hermit. Now the blatant question arises, why did I continue reading? Was it because of the adorable grandma dynamics or perhaps the bickering between the protagonist and the love interest... No it was because I could relate to Lara's aspirations and hopes about her future, her career and the obvious worries that come with it. We see the characters struggling with the age old dilemma of choosing professions, and wondering when one slips out of childhood into adulthood or if they ever? Further we get to meet Lara's vulnerable side, the one where her anxiety spirals, her jealousy flares and her loneliness even in her own relationship, gains sympathy from me. The ending was mostly the only redeeming bit about the plot because never have I read a more realistic and perfect ending for a YA novel, where the characters recognise their own flaws and choose sense above all and most importantly choose their future before anything else. I'd like to say that even though, there are many many improvement opportunities, I'd still recommend it only because it's a roller coaster ride of emotions, we see genuine character improvement, a love that does make you coo at points and as I mentioned above the ending. To conclude I want to tell you that in no way is this a bad attempt at a debut, it just belongs to someone with a different taste to savour this, infact I'd like to point out that the author is only nineteen so this is most definitely a great attempt perhaps just not for me but I'd still give her future works a try. 3.47/5✩ A big thanks to Wattpad Books & Netgalley for providing an advanced copy of this book, which I voluntarily read & reviewed. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I read this book in a day. I couldn't put it down or be so good. The absolute accuracy of the third wheel is highly heart. As much as friends say things will be the same once they couple up. For the single one, it's NEVER the same. and to say something automatically means jealousy. Lara is was losing her friends to their boyfriend. They've already started to cancel things, their boyfriends are always invited to their events and she's doesn't know what to do about it. James her enemy is the other single one and she's wrangled into spending every day with him helping with math. I just loved this book and the ending was perfectly reflective of two people in grade 12, just starting z new life and relationship. Just great!

Thank you Netgalley and Wattpad Books for allowing me to read and review! All thoughts and opinions are my own. This book is definitely geared towards the young adult audience and has all the elements of a fun and cute YA read. I did enjoy Lara's relationships with her friends and how hard it is to be that third wheel in a group of couples. I totally understand that feeling and I think many teenagers will get a kick out of how relatable Lara is and her story. Dealing with a beautiful cousin and annoyingly cute boy who you start to have a crush on makes for an interesting, fun, fluffy YA read I think 13-17 year olds will enjoy. 3.5 stars

*3.5 stars rounded down This book pleasantly surprised me. I expected it to be entertaining at the very least, but I really liked it! While I did think the characters were very “over the top teen,” I did think that they were relatable besides that. I liked Lara’s inner turmoil over knowing exactly what she wanted but not knowing if she could do it. There was some great development between the various friendships and relationships, but they did all start at ROCK BOTTOM. I was so surprised at how mature and healthy the ending of the book was since I rarely see anything like that in romance novels, but I liked it! For the bad, it was really just that I thought it was cringy. Do I relate to James using Desmos instead of learning graph patterns? Hell yeah. But most of the other teen stuff was kind of weird. They were all so enthusiastic, but in a romcom way, not a passionate teen way. I also HATED the way everyone treated Lara. I understand that it was the point, but her friends were horrible in ditching her at every turn to be with their boyfriends, and I feel like while they were better later, nothing could make that up to me. The same was true for Lara’s family excluding her, but they didn’t even notice. Overall, I really liked this! I’d recommend it to people who want a very quick, readable romcom with a lot of cringy yet funny characters. I personally relate to Carol with her violent tendencies.

I have never wanted to throw a book across the room before, but I seriously felt the urge while reading this one…which is bad because I was reading it as a digital galley on my iPad. The author delivers as promised with her warning on the first page that she cannot be held responsible for damage from face palms and book throwing. This story has all the angst of a kDrama. Just when you think it is done, you get pulled in again. I really hope there is a book two in the works.

Teenage years are hard, and much harder when you feel you are tackling them on your own. Lara comes back after spending the summer visiting her family in the Philippines. When she comes back to start her last year of high school, she learns that her three best friends are now in relationships. This book follows Lara as she navigates a messy senior year that is turning out to be nothing like what she expected. Besides a few cringe worthy moments, this was an enjoyable, easy, and cute read.

3.75 stars How to be the Best Third Wheel is a cutesy rom-com. It was a quick read for me and I managed to finish it in a day. I loved the representation in this book; it had a very diverse cast which made me really happy. The humor in the book is also written really and there were moments where I burst out laughing. The main character, Lara was so relatable and kind of reminded me of myself back in high school. Unfortunately though, the writing style used felt a little strange and kinda stilted. Some of the dialogue was a little unrealistic, especially for high schoolers. And also, the story kind of reminded me of early 2015 YA contemporaries with some of the plotlines. While the book does have some issues, I think it captures the uncertainty of deciding your future really well and as someone who is in the middle of that, it just hit home.

i really enjoyed getting to read this book early. it was so much fun and such a sweet little romance. it made me feel good and that's something i really enjoy in my books. a lovely escape!

Lara is coming back to school after a long holiday in the Philippines, unaware that her three best friends have secured boyfriends over the holidays. Life isn't easy for Lara — she's now the odd one out, often left with James, who she definitely doesn't have feelings for. Nope. Not at all. I first read this book when it was up on Wattpad, and I'm happy to say that the quality of the manuscript has much improved since then. This book was such a fun read — I loved Lara and her struggles (she felt like such a real and relatable character) and I loved the ending. It was bittersweet but realistic, and added another layer of charm to this book. Another aspect that I really enjoyed was the weaving of Filipino culture into the book. It wasn't at all forced and flowed so naturally; I was so intrigued by all the traditions and names (Lolo, Lola, etc) and their tight-knit community which is so different to my own. Despite all these pros, there were a few cons in the book — some of the side characters were really similar to one another, so much so that if their names weren't mentioned I would have mistaken them for one another... however there was a large cast of characters so this wasn't a big issue, especially as the main focus was on Lara and James. The romance between them was believable and cute, but there was one thing that happened that I really didn't like and didn't think was necessary to the plot (which is a spoiler, so I'll be leaving it out of my review. Rest assured that it happens near the ending of the novel, and the ending saved that part of the book for me). I hate books that use that as a plot point, but I still decided to give this book 4 stars because of how much fun I had reading it. I read it all in one sitting and was on the verge of tears at the end. I also thought the pacing of this book was excellent. Loridee De Villa has come so far as an author, and you can really see her own unique style when reading this. It's much more polished and effective than it used to be, and even though she remains in the constraints of the YA Genre (shorter sentences, fast pace, lots of dialogue and internal monologue) her style still shines through. Overall, I really enjoyed this and I would definitely read another novel by Loridee.

Thank you to NetGalley and Wattpad Books for letting me review this book! 4 stars Prepare yourself for a rollercoaster of emotions! Honestly, I was intrigued by the cover and premise of the book and it seriously did not fail, at least for me. This was super cute YA rom-com following our mc Lara who becomes the third wheel of her friend group as they all decide to get into relationships as if not having one friend being in relationship is bad enough and having to third wheel in that relationship she has third wheel for her other two friends. UGH! I felt for our mc being the "third wheel" and it was perfectly described. The romance between Lara and James was a cute enemies to lovers but there were times where I wanted to pull my hair but that's what makes it good book, when I have the urge to scream or pull my hair.

What an emotional rollercoaster! An outstanding book and I'm out of words to appreciate the author and this wonderful book. I never expected the author to pick up a simple topic of teenage love, crush and friendships and plot them so well. Every character had the simplicity yet their importance wasn't diminished. The flow of writing was brilliant and every scene was so beautiful emoted. The depth of the writing was great and the humor wasn't overstuffed. I could relate to almost all the characters and their reactions in every chapter. Hats off to the author. A well deserved 5 star.

I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view. Lara spent the summer before senior year visiting family in the Philippines, and expected that nothing much would have changed when she returned. So it's a shock when her three best friends all have found boyfriends over the summer, and she's the third wheel - or more like the seventh wheel. And what makes it even worse is that the boyfriends are all friends with her arch nemesis, James, who is third wheeling too. Now that the two groups are mixed, Lara can't escape James, and the feeling she pushed aside when she was younger are coming back. I was really surprised by this book. I was expecting it to be a decent contemporary, probably a little cringy in places, and though that did happen at times, I also couldn't put the book down once I started it. I really enjoyed all of the characters in the book. Lara was a little abrasive at times, but she was dealing with a lot of change, and she wanted to keep the status quo. However, it read like a real book, with real characters and scenarios. Okay, it was cringy at times, and a bit over the top at others, but all in all, it really suited the characters and the setting of it. The only real thing I disliked was the ending, though I think it was probably included to make the book feel more realistic, rather than fiction? I don't know, but it was a solid debut in any case.

After a summer spent in the Philippines with her family, Lara de la Cruz is eager to start her senior year and, most importantly, reunite with her three besties, Carol, Jasmine, and Kiera. Of course summer is the season of change, and Lara knew she’d have to get caught up on the major updates, hot gossip, and other shenanigans she may have missed. But what she did not expect was to show up on the first day of school to all three of her friends now in relationships. Warning you are not going to want to step away from this book! It will go with you everywhere for the day. I would say that you should enjoy this lovely little story. Carol is a firecracker watch out for her! There's a couple of times you may cringe in your skin but that's high school (well for most of us anyway). All in all I liked the book and would rec.

3.5 ⭐ How to Be The Best Third Wheel is a friends to enemies to frenemies to lovers, YA romantic comedy. It follows Lara, coming back from a 2 month vaycay to find that her three best friends have each found themselves in a relationship. Quite distraught by the news, Lara now has to handle being "alone", feeling left out and being the third wheel alongside childhood best friend - now enemy - James, who does everything to annoy her yet seems to be the only one there for her (even through all his torturing digs). Let me just start off by saying the absolute pure torture of the frustration i felt while reading this! This was that typical YA high schoolers being oblivious for their actions towards their best friend. I highly sympathized with Lara, and i think that's why i found it so frustrating but yet...i couldn't put it down. It did read like wattpad writing, quite amateurish but personally i liked that because it was easy to get through. there were some childish actions happening (for example gripping a guy by his shirt, and a character dropping down into a fetal position out of fear...). easily able to overlook those things when the story picked up. when it came to Lara's friendships, i was quite happy with how that went. Did i want more groveling? Absolutely! but they pulled through in the end. the second part of the story just created emotional havoc. i found myself heavily frustrated towards a guy i was rooting for. his reasoning for certain actions was absolute bullsh*t and so male typical that he just couldn't redeem himself to me fully. classifying the ending...it's definitely a HFN. I'm satisfied with the ending but yet also sad because it's still two people who shared a childhood together and the endind just screamed FINAL. It's a very realistic ending, romantics (like myself) may not like it but in reality it was just the perfect ending for those two...for now *𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳, 𝘕𝘦𝘵𝘨𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘞𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘱𝘢𝘥 𝘉𝘰𝘰𝘬𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘳𝘤 𝘪𝘯 𝘦𝘹𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘦𝘸*

I enjoyed this book. The characters were well thought out and the plot moved at a great pace. I would enjoy reading more from this author in the future.

'How to Be the Best Third Wheel' is honestly the best book I've read in a long while. I laughed out loud through 3/4 of the book, I was also sad at times but most of all I totally related to the main characters. Lara and James have known each other all their lives, first they were best friends, then enemies to lovers. The book shows how much we get attached to people, how much they mean to us and how really important are relationships betweem friends and family members. I loved the book for hilarious dialogues between Lara and James but also for the very real representation of teenagers' lives. The book focuses on how we make mistakes just because something stops us from proper communication, how we support our friends no matter what, how forgiveness works and how our family can understand us without words. I loved it for the ultimte warmth, wit and being true to life. I rarely give 5 stars out of 5, but this book deserves them all and more!

This book was pretty solid. It was amusing and pretty much nailed the whole third wheel thing. The only thing is that I'm a high schooler, so the high school parts felt a little less accurate. All that being said, this was a good read. Check it out, and thank you to Loridee De Villa and NetGalley for providing me with an E-ARC in exchange for an honest and constructive review!

This book has quite literally started my healing process. I felt so seen by this book and i was shocked by all the commentary it had because I entered this book thinking it would be a fun quick cute romcom and boy was I wrong. A warning to everyone who picks up this book: it had me SOBBING in the middle of the night because the writing just hit me and I was relating to the characters so hard. I loved this book so much. I already want to have a physical copy to reread and annotate. 4.5 stars.

Thank you so much to Wattpad Books and NetGalley for a digital ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review. As always, all opinions stated are entirely my own. This book was so fun! It made me constantly laugh and swoon! I love how every character, even side ones, played a part in the book and had a big personality. If you are looking for an adorable and fun book with a great plot look no further! I couldn't put this book down!