One Arctic Night

Pub Date 29 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 15 Feb 2022

Talking about this book? Use #OneArcticNight #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

17 Year old Panuk lives in Pangnirtung with his parents and extended family. Panuk's parents have passed down many Inuit traditions to their children and have also taught them survival skills, including how to hunt and fish.

Panuk's father takes tourists on hunting trips. But when he has to leave Pangnirtung to get a painful kidney stone removed, he cannot cancel an upcoming tour and asks Panuk to step in for him.

The two men Panuk is to take on the trip are rude and disrespectful. They are prejudiced toward Inuit people and youth. As Panuk and the two men journey to their camping spot, the local RCMP officer calls Panuk and tells him a severe storm is headed their way. It's too late to return back to town, and Panuk and the two men must prepare their camping site before the storm hits.

Will the 17 year old be able to deal with the two hunters and will they all survive this one arctic night?

Advance Praise

I learned so much about Arctic village life from this book! And it has a good message since it deals with racism . I recommend this book for anyone 13-16 who is interested in hunting or fishing or Arctic life.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

a fantastic story that transports you to the arctic tundra! I thoroughly enjoyed the descriptive scenes of wintery storms and traditional Inuit customs. the main character Panuk was well developed and his growth through dealing with racism was greatly written. Thank you to NetGalley and BookGoSocial for providing me with an ebook to read.

This book is great! Will definitely buy a copy for my classroom library. As a grade 4 teacher, I think this book would be fabulous for students that age and slightly older. There is mention of alcohol and tobacco but no swearing, sex, drugs etc. the content is totally appropriate for middle grade students and actually is very connected to Social Studies curriculum in Canada. Way of life in the Arctic, including food, transportation, population, health care, hunting and Inuit culture are all well explained throughout the story. I think this is a great book and look forward to recommending it to my students. I am very appreciative of the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book!

A perfect story to encourage teenage readers and find empowerment in who they are within their community.

Panuk is proud of his Inuit name and heritage. His family have settled for a traditional way of life where gender roles have to be interchangeable to survive Arctic living.

His Dad is a guide taking visitors out on hunting and camping expeditions, consequently Panuk has learned many skills accompanying them on such trips.
So when his Dad is unable to lead two “Southerners” out on the ice in search of Caribou he asks Panuk to take over.

He has to confront his own fears as well as unexpected bigotry and outspoken racism. When their camp is overrun by a fierce storm it seems his life is threatened as well as all his accepted principles and core values.

A great sense of place and location in this icy wilderness. Part coming of age story as much as the life issues.

Certainly the clash of cultures leaves Panuk at a disadvantage but I enjoyed the inner strength his upbringing and learning allows him. Real emotions are drawn out, fear is clearly defined in all three characters stranded in the storm. Resilience and fortitude are needed as much as skill and a belief in one’s own values

One Arctic Night has the potential take life or change it forever.

As a book it should give young people encouragement to do right and act fairly. If offers hope while reflecting on what makes us different in our shrinking world. It embraces change and environment concerns while showing it isn’t too great a leap to welcome diversity, faith and new beginnings.