The Family Business

A gripping, twisty crime thriller that will have you hooked

Pub Date 24 Feb 2022 | Archive Date 20 Jan 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheFamilyBusiness #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Blood's thicker than water... and they're not afraid to spill it

As the three collide, no one can predict how family ties will turn to bloodshed. Because you’ll do anything for the ones you love, won’t you?

A dark, twisty and totally gripping thriller set in the heart of Glasgow gangland - fans of Mandasue Heller and Kimberley Chambers won't be able to put this down.

Blood's thicker than water... and they're not afraid to spill it

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781912973897
PRICE £2.99 (GBP)

Donnie Black. Charming, successful… and utterly terrifying, he rules the Glasgow underworld with an iron fist. Nothing - or no one - will stop him and he’s not afraid to get his hands dirty to grow his fortune. Layla Black. She’s been married to Donnie for twenty years, enjoying the lavish world he has worked hard to create. But behind the perfect image Layla is crumbling, numbing her pain with alcohol. But Layla doesn’t know the secrets Donnie keeps – and the truth will send her spiralling. Louise Bellshaw. She’s young, beautiful and innocent. She’s charmed by Donnie’s sweet words, and believes she’s found true love. But Louise doesn’t know her dream man has plans that will turn her life into a nightmare. I've read other titles by this author , but for me , this is the best yet ! Gritty, at times full of suspense , a great crime family saga of totally believable characters , all fighting in their own way to be top dog and to get one over the other . This book has a t.v. series written all over it !

With every book that Alex writes they just get better and grittier and she is fast becoming the Queen of gangland!! I say after I have read each book by Alex that it's her best, but this one seriously is her best work yet. Here we have the Black family Donnie taken over as head of the family and let's just say taken a new found love for the export trade. I felt so sorry and really felt for his wife Layla which after 20 years has no idea what her husband actually gets upto and Louise well we all knew it was heading for disaster. Donnie thinks he is the topboy and totally untouchable, what a family! I absolutely loved this, Another fantastic gripping nail biting read from Alex. . Full of tension throughout this will have you racing through the pages.

Well where do I begin? How will a written review do this justice? Alex Kane is an absolute queen and this dark, gripping and addictive gem is her best yet. There is absolutely nothing to dislike about this book. It has it all- drama, intrigue, betrayal, secrets and lies. Combine this with the fantastic array of characters Kane has created and you have a gem. This book introduces us to the Black family. Kane shows us that karma really does come back around in this. I often find myself liking the “bad boy” of the book buy Donnie really is a rotten apple, caught up in some very sinister business. I have loved the gang rivalry and complicated relationships which we see develop in this one. I have found myself invested in some characters. Kane has made me feel as though I have been watching the events play out in front of me. There is nothing negative I can say about this book. This is a spectacular action filled plot which will capture you and hold you hostage until the very last page. This book is a must read! Highly deserving of all the stars and completely unputdownable. A definite for the TBR.

Firstly thank you Netgalley for this ARC. Wow these books just get better and better everytime. Page turner just brilliant

This was an amazing addition to the glass family book. So gritty and edgey. I loved the story line and couldn't put it down Would recommend it to anyone who loves this type of book

what a book, the Glasgow Gangland family the Black's Donnie, brother Steff, and sister Mel, his wife Layla and best mate Cammy McNab The Black's empire only want to make money with the sex workers and drugs. but things are about to change when the great hardened gangster father Donald dies suddenly leaving behind their mother Maggie and Donnie is set to take over the business, Mel has other idea's and want Cammy out of the firm she wants a normal life with him. This book is so gripping and unputdownable right through. Fantastic and not your normal family with loads of full on action I loved it all

Donald black is controlling and and rules his 2 sons and daughter. but Donald dies and is eldest son Donnie takes over the family firm with his brother Steff and his sister Steff. but Donnie is greedy one of his dads business associates Goran tells him he made a deal with his father to traffic young girls abroad. now his old friends and members of his work team are so against this that they go there own way and Kevin wants to bring Donnie down. how the story unfolds is brilliant another good read buy this author

Donnie Black rules the Glasgow underworld and he'll stop at nothing to grow his fortune. Layla Black has been married to Donnie for 20 years but she doesn't know the truth behind what her husband really does.She's turned to alcohol to ease the pain she now feels in her loveless marriage. Steff Black is Donnies brother and best friend but his hiding a secret from everyone,how long can it stay secret? Louise Bellshaw is young and innocent and believes she's found her dream man in Donnie but his got plans for her that will turn dreams into a nightmare. A brilliant read,gripping I could'nt put it down the writing is so good you feel like your part of the action. Highly recommend. Thanks to Netgalley and Hera Books for the ARC.

When Donald dies Donnie takes over the family business and does things his way. A good read with grit and drama!

Amazing as always Love Alex Kanes books They certainly keep you up all night and are real page turners If you buy any book this year make this the one I absolutely loved it

I love gangland crime. In the beginning I thought it would not be my cup of tea, because when, in real life, I almost faint when I see one drop of blood. And I can tell you this is about more than one little droplet. 😊 Why do I like it so much then? It’s because of the love between the members of a gang and their family and friends. Friends who are in fact family too. They will protect them with all they have and take revenge on everyone who harms them. I admit their way of dealing with the problem is not the way it should be but I think you understand what I am saying if you are a fan of this genre too. The bosses are fierce. They will deal with enemies in a way they won’t be able to tell the tale, but they have the biggest heart for their loved ones. Donnie is not like that though. Donnie is number one, no matter what he has to do to keep himself happy. In the beginning I thought Donnie was a bit of a too soft name for a crime boss. Don has a lot more strength, no? Well, let me tell you Donnie fits him perfectly. I think you will agree once you have finished the book too. 😉 I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to this author’s next story.  5 stars Thank you

Another fantastic read from Alex Kane . Couldn't put this book down it was brilliant. Can't wait for the next book so so good .

Thanks NetGalley for my copy of the family business. A true Glasgow gangster book with all the trimmings. A fast paced easy read that all will enjoy

Thanks to Alex and NetGalley for allowing me to read The Family Business before the publication date. Donnie Black portrays himself as a respectable business man, keen to be seen mixing with politicians and attending charity events with his wife, Layla and brother Steff. Behind the façade, the Blacks are a Glasgow criminal family who are into drug dealing, prostitution and protection rackets, to name but a few. Profits are laundered through the string of Tanning Salons which Layla operates. Now Donnie is expanding his empire into providing young girls for a sex trafficking ring in Amsterdam. Kev Barclay wants to break away from the Black’s firm and set up a boxing gym with his cousins. Donnie is determined to stop them and sets up Kev to be caught with a large amount of cocaine, which sees him sentenced to 3 years in prison. The cousins operate the Barrhouse firm and once Kev is released, they set about exacting revenge. As secrets are revealed and cracks start to appear in each of the families, will the blood ties hold? This is a gritty thriller set in the dark underbelly of the Glasgow underworld. There seems to be no limit to the extent that the players will go to in order to gain the upperhand, committing unbelievably violent crimes.