The Vanishing

Pub Date 29 Sep 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheVanishing #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

To save her best friend from the horrors of Nazi Germany, an invisible girl must embark on an utterly unforgettable journey of redemption and revenge.

The Vanishing is fierce and loving, devastating and compelling, a breathtaking blend of history, fiction, and magical realism.

The Vanishing is fierce and loving, devastating...

Advance Praise

“David Michael Slater in his novel The Vanishing has dared to imagine the unimaginable. His story involves a tragic end of innocence and the courage, leavened by a dash of the miraculous, that allows a young girl to navigate history’s greatest nightmare, and to awaken from it with her sense (and ours) of human possibility still intact. A remarkable book.” ~ Steve Stern Author of The Frozen Rabbi and winner of the National Jewish Book Award

~

"It has often been said that we need creative ways to illuminate the horrors of the Holocaust for each new generation. David Slater’s novel, The Vanishing, has accomplished this remarkable feat. An important and fascinating read." ~ Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO and National Director, Anti-Defamation League (ADL)

~

“I've long wondered whether any writer would have the courage to truly portray the sodden, mindless, pointless brutality of the Holocaust as it was. In The Vanishing, David Michael Slater has done just that, and I haven't been so moved by a book in a long time.” ~ Eric A. Kimmel 5-time winner of the National Jewish Book Award, Recipient of the Sydney Taylor Award for Lifetime Achievement.

~

The Vanishing is a vivid journey through every emotion in the human experience. It is heart-wrenching and hopeful by turns. Sophie Siegel is an incredible heroine, one readers will never forget. May your memories of this book be a blessing.” ~ Michael P. Spradlin New York Times Best Selling author of The Enemy Above and Into the Killing Seas

~

“Like all great fantasy, The Vanishing centers on human truths, just as a golem springs from the ground of human need. Through Sophie Siegel's eyes, we see both the brutal truth of the Holocaust and the essential and timely truth of how much human survival depends on persistent acts of resistance borne out of love.” ~ Sarah Blake Author of the NYT bestsellers, The Postmistress and The Guest Book

~

“Unflinching, honest, and riveting, The Vanishing is one of the most compelling novels of the Holocaust that I have read in a long time. It's a must-read.” ~ Kathy Kacer

Marketing Plan

- Short print run + POD availability

- Author tour via Barnes and Noble, virtual tour and physical, in store book signings.

- Media appearances

- Social media campaigns and "live book signings" on Facebook and Instagram.

- Short print run + POD availability

- Media appearances

- Social media campaigns and "live book signings" on...

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781956769111

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I couldn't put this brilliant book down. It's All the Light You Cannot See meets Inglorious Basterd’s. Or maybe it's the love child of Marquez and Tarantino. Actually, it's something genuinely new, moving effortlessly through genres into something profound--a must read.

David Michael Slater has outdone himself again. His latest novel, The Vanishing, is a window into history and the horrors and beauty of the human condition. This novel will leave you heartbroken, astounded, empathetic, and with a renewed faith in the strength of what humans are capable of enduring. This book should be on every reading list in every history class studying World War II. --Liz Coronella

Slater's book is brutal and heart-wrenching. Just when I thought the worst had happened, things got immeasurably worse, but I cared so much about the characters, I was compelled to keep reading. It was ultimately worth it. The violence is graphic, but essential to the story and mid-school students should be able to handle it.. The Vanishing is a stunning book that I couldn't put down. Slater's take on the horrors of war is entirely original and not to be missed.

Haunting. When it comes to he atrocities of war we find that some of those things are spoken about directly, more of them alluded too, but often a lot of the grisly details are unsaid for the comfort of those who would have to hear it. The Vanishing doesn’t shy away from the very real and often wildly uncomfortable truth of the humiliating and dehumanizing acts victims of war endured. These details illuminate the big picture in a way that few others have. This book was heart wrenching and uncomfortable while toeing the line of being simultaneously beautiful and inspiring. This simply will not be quickly forgotten.

Let me start by saying that everyone should read this book. I know books based during the Holocaust are always hard to read. David Slater’s The Vanishing is a book about the suffering and heart-wrenching nature that is the Holocaust, but it is also an incredible story of the friendship of two characters – Sophie and Giddy and lastly – a story of hope. Though the friendship is unusual, it is startlingly powerful and moving. The Vanishing touches on the complex nature of cause and effect within the Holocaust. It allows the reader to feel part of the story, especially for this reader who so often asked ‘what if this was done? Or what if that was done?’ Sophie’s righteous anger and desperation to make a change is something we all feel, especially in light of the state of the world today. Giddy’s determination and efforts to live reminds us of all the lives fought for and lost and all the lives fought for and rescued. I highly recommend this book. I know many will shy away because of the difficult subject matter, but challenge all to read it and learn – to not forget the Holocaust and to see how history impacts us today. Read this book now!

What a heartwrenching and imaginative novel. Even though there is so much sadness, the author keeps you hooked from the very beginning. I've read many Holocaust novels, but this one has struck a chord with me. It is an emotional read, yet it is perfectly understated. If not, I'm not sure I could have handled the sadness. The image of this young girl invisible during such horror makes her a heroine instead of a victim. I loved this book and it will haunt me for a long time.

Fantasy meets historical fiction in <i>The Vanishing</i> - a compelling YA/teens story set amidst the holocaust of WWII. I couldn’t put it down and read it in one sitting. This is definitely one for the bookshelf at school. It’s a far more accurate, powerful, haunting, emotionally engaging and heart-wrenching story of the Holocaust than many young readers will thus far have experienced in, for example, <i>The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas</i>. At times it is intensely shocking in its brutality as it vividly paints a picture of dehumanisation and injustice. Yet, it ultimately sends a message of hope that even during times of unimaginable adversity, courage, love, and perseverance will win out.
My thanks to NetGalley and Library Tales Publishing for this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

What makes this book so different is that David Slater offers a compelling story and unique perspective that should be included in any Holocaust collection. Courageous in its' substance, the brutal honesty is often difficult to read, but necessary. Kudos to the author for bravely writing often disturbing, but needed descriptions. I would think it an appropriate book for 16+ and all adults and a must read.

Tragic truths are told in this distinctive and riveting story. David Michael Slater’s unique insight into the hard realities of the Holocaust provides enough mystic fiction while still not lessening the realism, thus enabling the reader to become immersed in the story of Sophie Siegel. Relatable and inspiring, Sophie’s character shows strong courage and elicits deep emotions in the reader while viewed through a ghostly lens. I could not put this book down and became completely immersed in this story, though sorrowfully realistic, which still left me with a feeling of completeness and hope. This is a must-read for older middle school students and beyond.

David Michael Slater’s The Vanishing is a riveting, cross genre story about a young Jewish girl’s lived experience during the horrifying years of WW II. Slater’s masterful use of language, imagery, dialogue and technique quickly pull the reader into the story in a way that is deeply personal and meaningful, while at the same time appropriately difficult. Reading The Vanishing is an astonishingly emersive experience. Once started, it is hard to put this book down!

The Vanishing by David Michael Slater Pub Date: Sept. 29, 2002
The Vanishing is a historical fiction with a twist that I simply couldn't put down. Magical realism at it's finest, but it isn't for those that can't stomach the true horrors of human hatefulness.
After Sophie witnesses her parents being brutally murdered by Nazis, she becomes an invisible revenging angel fiercely protecting her best friend and others through the horror of the Holocaust. Her heartbreaking story is one of bravery, love, and endurance. Written with complete honesty and holding nothing back, this book may be too descriptive for some; however, I found the rawness to be an in-your-face reminder of what humans are capable of when given power or are pitted against each other for survival.
This book is still haunting me.
#netgalley #thevanishing #DavidMichaelSlater

The Vanishing is a horrifying story that takes the reader on Sophie Seigel's journey of revenge against the Third Reich all the while following her as the protector of her best friend, Giddy.

David Michael Slater is not afraid to take readers on the dark journey of what happened during the Holocaust shedding light on how children lost their innocence, families were ripped apart and lives were destroyed. But amidst all the destruction there is still some hope in this story as it demonstrates the resilience and perseverance that the Jewish people had despite the adversity.

This story will take you on Sophie's journey, rip your heart out and destroy your faith in humanity, but then slowly build it back up again.

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this advance copy.

Reviewing books about the Holocaust is always difficult. It feels wrong to say it's a good book. And yet, the story keeps popping into my thoughts and even dreams weeks after finishing it. I enjoy when books linger long after they've been read.

The book is a very unique fusion of historical fiction and fantasy fiction. It felt a bit jarring when Sophie first vanished--I wish the author spent a little bit more time in this scene. However, the reader and Sophie both adjust fairly quickly to her new normal. There are violent scenes, detailed murders, and rape references that make the book more appropriate for teen and young adult readers than middle grade readers.

Overall, the pacing was just right and the voice and style were intriguing. The author's spin on an alternative history was fresh and appreciated. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book before its publication.