The Bachelor and the Bride

Pub Date 06 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 20 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheBachelorandtheBride #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

London,1866

Dr. Barnabus Milligan has always felt called to help people, whether that means setting a broken bone or rescuing the impoverished women of London from their desperate lives on the streets as part of his work with the Dread Penny Society.

Three years ago, he helped rescue Gemma Kincaid by marrying her in secret to protect her from her family, notorious grave robbers who were intent on keeping her working in the trade.

But their unconventional relationship is nearly over before it begins when, six months after they exchange vows, Gemma realizes her love for Barnabus is unrequited. To protect her heart, she leaves, telling Barnabus to contact her if his feelings for her ever grow beyond a sense of duty.

When Gemma finally receives a letter from Barnabus, inviting her to return home, she hopes to find a true connection between them. But she quickly learns that he only wants her help to foil the Kincaids, who have been terrorizing the boroughs of London, eager to gain both money and power.

Heartbroken once more, Gemma agrees to help, but she warns Barnabus that she will not stay for long, and once she goes, he’ll never see her again.

Yet as the couple follow the clues that seem to connect the Kincaids to the Mastiff, the leader of London’s underground criminal network, Gemma and Barnabus both realize they might make a better match than either of them suspected. Perhaps the marriage that had once saved Gemma’s life, might prove the means of saving Barnabus—and his lonely heart—as well.

But before the once-confirmed bachelor can properly court his secret bride, they’ll need to evade the dangerous forces that are drawing ever closer to the hopeful lovers and the entire Dread Penny Society itself.
London,1866

Advance Praise

"Eden's fourth gripping Victorian "Dread Penny Society" romance centers on a heroine's unrequited love with lots of twists and turns before the hero recognizes his true feelings."

—Library Journal

"An estranged wife returns home at the request of her emotionally distant husband in Eden's sweet and suspenseful fourth Dread Penny Society Victorian romance. Physician Barnabus Milligan married his wife, Gemma, to save her from her criminal family. Though Gemma had hoped that a romance might blossom, Barnabus, orphaned at 12 and wary of love, vowed to her that their marriage of convenience would never be anything more. With evil threatening to destroy London, Gemma and Barnabus are forced to work together-but will they live long enough to reach their happy ending? The close-knit members of the Dread Penny Society add some fun, and Gemma's heart of gold is sure to win readers over. A plethora of secrets and a thrilling mystery make this fresh take on arranged marriage a treat."

—Publishers Weekly

—Library Journal

"An...

PAGES 368

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

The Bachelor and the Bride by Sarah M. Eden is a great historical fiction that has it all: romance, mystery, suspense, and is the fourth book in the enjoyable The Dread Penny Society series.

I have now read all four books in this series, and I am still really enjoying them. Each one continues with an overarching theme, while spotlighting one of the members of the secret society.

This book continues at the same time/location of London during the year of 1866. The Mastiff and his underground crime network continue to escape justice and create mayhem at every turn. This book focusses on the characters of Dr. Barnabus Milligan and Gemma Kincaid and their complicated relationship. We get to see more of the backstory and also the conflicting and unbalanced emotions that are surrounding them. Brought together again to help right some of the wrongs that have come up, they both work together…and also maybe get a chance to work on their own feelings and their relationship as well.

The Penny Dreadful snippets that are sprinkled throughout add a bit of complexity to the overall novel, and I continue to enjoy those and the unique quality that they add to this series.

I am looking forward to the next book in this series. I love Ms. Eden…such talent.

5/5 stars

Thank you NG and Shadow Mountain Publishing for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 9/6/22.

What a phenomenal book!
This book is absolutely fantastic! Three years ago, Barnabus married Gemma to get her away from her father and the family business of resurrectionists (grave robbers). But just months into the marriage Gemma left when Barnabus told her he didn’t love her and didn’t see that changing. Now he has reached out to her and asked her to return. She assumes he has changed his mind, something she had been hoping for. Instead, the request is for her help in the efforts of the Dread Penny Society who are working against the Mastiff’s gang who have recruited the resurrectionists to help in their activities. With Barnabus and Gemma both struggling with horrible pasts and the present threats can anything change? Woven within this story are two other Penny Dreadfuls (short stories) and I found myself reading one of them, thoroughly engaged to the point I would forget they weren’t the main story. So much fun. Although this book is part of a series it could be read as a standalone although I’m sure you’ll be wanting to read the other books as well. Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the copy. This is my review and all thoughts are my own.

Oh my goodness gracious! If you haven't had the chance to read any of the Dread Penny Society books, I suggest you start now because this one tops them all. There are so many spoilers and reveals that I can't share because it would ruin it for you but man this one is soo good. Sarah Eden has me sitting on the edge of my seat wanting to read faster but at the same time wanting it go by slow so I can savor it better. Dr. Barnabus Milligan is such a good-hearted guy- I mean all of the Dread Penny Society men are and Gemma is such a plucky, happy girl that you want them to figure things out to find their happily ever after. But there is soo much in their way- danger both of the heart and a physical nature. I can't say anymore otherwise I worry I will spoil it. I recommend making sure you have the time to read it all because I guarantee you won't want to set it down!

This has been a good series. I have enjoyed it. I like Eden's writing. This one ended with an ending that was a little hard for me to swallow. I just couldn't believe it and that took away some of the enjoyment for me with this one. SPOILERS( The whole book they talk about how these men unbury the dead and in the end the whole point is for them to get away with faking there death. Wouldn't they have banked on the fact that these guys would dig them up? I keep expecting to see the police come out and finally get the grave robbers..... but what you get instead makes no sense to me....If the bad guys have known all along what is the point..) ENDED.
This one just left me scratching my head. I still am not a fan of the 2 other smaller books in the middle of the book either. I ended up skipping over them and then going back and only reading one. They just don't hold my interest. I love Eden's characters and all the feelings she puts into her stories.
So fun romance between these two but the mystery and all it's parts are getting unbelievable and too complex.

It is 1866 and Barnabus, a doctor, writer of penny dreadfuls and member of a secret society aptly name the Penny Dreadful Society is trying to help the poor and exploited of London. Gemma, Barnabus’s secret wife-in-name-only is from a family of grave robbers, the Kincaids, and has been in hiding for the past three years. Barnabus, Gemma and all of London are being terrorized by the sinister criminal overlord, the Mastiff and his cronies, the Kincaids and the Kincaids want Gemma back.

Barnabus is closed down emotionally because of his painful past. It makes sense that he doesn’t recognize his love for Gemma. But it is beautiful to watch him come to that realization.

Gemma is such an appealing character: a strong and clever woman. In fact she is described as “sharp as shards and brave as arrows.” She is deeply in love with Barnabus and is willing to sacrifice herself for him. The Mastiff and the grave robbing Kincaids are out there and they are sinister. She’ll need that bravery and intelligence.

For those who’ve been reading the series it is a delight to finally learn the identity of both the head of the secret society and of the Mastiff. There are other mysteries being revealed as well. This is a satisfying and gripping novel and addition to the series.

It is a tale of suspense and love. You can feel the sense of foreboding, the race against time, throughout the novel. It just doesn’t seem like there can be a positive resolution. And as a entertaining added bonus there are stories within the story-written as if they were penny dreadfuls. This clever plot device mirrors and expands on the main story and is just plain fun and an interesting read.

The library has the rest of the series and they are quite popular. I look forward to recommending this recent entry.

I always look forward to another mysterious Victorian tale by Sarah Eden! The Bachelor and The Bride was an interesting twist to this series. The danger seems to lurk around every corner and the criminal mastermind the Dread Penny’s have been chasing is becoming more bold and crafty which makes for an unpredictable story. The romance in this story was a bit unusual and I have to say that I wanted a bit more. Our her