Travelers

A Freaks Novel

Narrated by P. J. Morgan;

Pub Date 02 Aug 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #Travelers #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Falling in love. Evading the authorities. Chasing the rabbits.

Now high school sophomores, the self-styled “Freaks” are back in class in quiet Quapaw City, Arkansas. They grapple with the ordinary challenges of everyday teen life: cliques, cars, and crushes. While everything appears normal on the surface, looks have rarely been more deceiving. A secret government task force—fully aware of the unusual powers the Freaks have acquired—is determined to capture them. Even as the mysterious Baltar Sterne shares ancient wisdom and offers hope, a new menace silently emerges in the woods outside of town. Clever, inexorable, and far more lethal than the Freaks’ first superhuman foe, this traveler from another world possesses powers that can only be described as godlike. The Freaks and their town will be tested in horrific ways they are powerless to predict or even imagine.

Falling in love. Evading the authorities. Chasing the rabbits.

Advance Praise

Travelers by Brett Riley was an extraordinary read. It was so creepy and strange and extremely well-written. Brett wrote another winner that completely held me captive till the amazing ending. The book is riveting. Compelling and totally different. I read it one sitting and was seriously bummed it had to end. His writing is remarkable and had me wanting more. I devoured Travelers and his ones before this. I will read anything he writes.”–Rubie Clark, NetGalley

“Brett Riley has done it again, as he continues his story of teenage supers battling monsters – fantasy beasts and Government agents alike. An enthralling, fast paced, fantasy horror.”–Peter Thorburn, NetGalley

“Riley goes for the gusto…twists aplenty”—Kirkus Reviews,

“Riley possesses a rare, writerly ability to remain in the moment once the action heats up. In this installment, the Freaks face their most dangerous enemy yet, and the menace fairly leaps off the page.”–Paul Eberly, PaulEberly.com

“A great spin on the superhero story, told with genuine depth.”—Mark Waid, best-selling author of History of the Marvel Universe, Doctor Strange, and Superman Birthright.

EDITION Audiobook, Unabridged
ISBN 9781945501777
DURATION 9 Hours, 23 Minutes, 9 Seconds

NetGalley Shelf App (AUDIO)

I enjoyed this one and I haven’t even read the others in the series. I like the setting in Arkansas as well as the diversity of the characters. It was also nice how the racial tension was addressed in the book. This one was fast paced but had the right amount of character development. It’s hard to get to know characters when there are so many with important parts to the story, but this one was perfect. I really enjoyed it.

This is the second instalment in the Freaks trilogy. The characters will well established and the storyline took off running. There was bit of a lull in the middle but ended pretty good. This book had a good take on modern world, and still gives the readers that bit of fantasy we all crave now and then.

The Freaks are back and with a whole new set of troubles. With the government officials constantly tailing them and basic teenage problems the group of friends have enough to worry about when an Ancient God comes to town to punish them for the crimes committed by their ancestors. Will the group be able to save themselves and all of man kind from this angry god before its too late? Or will the government officials get to them first.?!?

A follow up to YA book Freaks (which I rated 3/5)

The start of this book was a lot more heavy on the folklore than the previous which I really enjoyed, it gave a kind of historical thread running through. They’ve really built on the characters from Freaks which was needed, and makes the story a lot more engaging. Although it is a little slower in the first half, it was good to recap some things and I think it gave a better indication of the teams dynamics. I could definitely see a YA audience enjoying this and I feel this is an improvement on the last book.

(Also I find the current cover a little weird/ phallic - Maybe the colour of the rabbits muzzle could be altered so it's not the same as the person?)

3.5/5

ARC audiobook provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

“Travelers” is a sequel to the book “Freaks” about friends in high school who have accidentally gain super powers, which they previously used in the first book to fight a supernatural being. In this book, the friends are hunted by a secret government task force bent on capturing and containing them. However, the government guys aren’t the only thing to fear: a godlike creature has emerged and seeks to destroy the group of friends.

I found this young adult book to be better than the first book in the series. This book was a quick easy read. The story flows quickly from beginning to end. The characters are beginning to be developed further, engaging the reader more. The group of friends prepare to fight the newest evil in their town, but there is a bit of discord amongst them. Something is happening with Micah, but the group doesn’t seem to see what’s happening. It raises questions that are left unanswered, but these set this story up for the next book in the series.

My copy of this book was an audiobook, so I must comment on the narration. I did find the narrator did a good job with the story. The character voices were well done, and the entire narrative flowed easily. I would give the narrator a five-star review.

Overall, this book was just above middle-of-the-road for me, hence I would give it a 3.5-star review. I think the concept was once again great, but it doesn’t quite reach its full potential. The story does set itself up for the next sequel, and I believe the story concept was interesting enough that I’ll pick it up. I think this book would work well for a young adult reader looking for an interesting supernatural/horror novel. If you don’t expect too much, this is a pretty fun read.

I gave it 3.5 stars but I can round it up to 4!!
I really enjoyed this book. I have been waiting for a book that kept me entertained from the beginning to end and not gonna lie, I think I found it. I listened to the audiobook and I really recommend it because the narrator is really good. However, I also read it in the ebook format too. The characters were amazing in my opinion and I liked the fact they were not made out to be perfect.
I will recommend this book to anyone who is wanting to get out of a reading slump because this will absolutely bring you out of it.

I did not realize this was the second installment of a series and I did not read the first book. With that being said though, I was able to catch up and get a feel for the characters. There was enough reference to what happened in the first book to make sense of it
I listened to the audio version of this book and I really enjoyed the narrator. The middle section of the book felt like it dragged a little bit but there was plenty of action at the end. It wasn't a book that, for me personally, I was carving time out of my day to get back to. I never felt fully invested and that could be because I didn't read the first book.
Overall, the writing was well done and the storyline was easy to follow. I think this is a good book for YA who are into fantasy for sure. Definitely look at reviews from others who read the first book as well though!

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC. All reviews are my own.

I requested this book before it was made clear that it was a sequel and I could've researched the series a little better, but I must admit I feel a little catfished.

This book was better than the first, the characters were more established and we jumped straight into the story.

I still don't think these books are for me, and that's ok! I'm sure someone else will love these friends gain superpowers books!

I do have to note that the narrator again was amazing! 10/10

I loved this book! I love the character development, especially Christian’s. I loved the addition of Native American lore as well. I specifically saved this review for Easter cuz hello, Rabbit! The great hare in Native American history went by a few names but appeared as a rabbit most often. I also saw some hints to the chinese rabbit god. He is said to manage love between homosexuals & in this book there’s a love interest that fits. Nod to both rabbit gods, maybe? I kinda thought so. Found it super neat for someone who loves reading about different mythologies.

Loved the history rolled into fiction but in the modern era. Not an easy task to pull off. All characters have their own personalities & with so many new characters, that’s also not so easy to pull off. I got thru this book super quickly & can’t wait for the next one. I suspect at least one of these new characters are going to play a pivotal role in the future of the Freaks.

Well, what can I say about the second instalment in this series?

I enjoyed Travelers more than the first in the series, Freaks. I thought the storytelling flowed better and I enjoyed the progression in Riley’s characters. I also welcomed the nods to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other pop culture references.

I read this alongside the audiobook version and it just flowed. I found it easier to follow than the first book and I found myself thinking about what was going to happen next when I wasn’t reading or listening.

I’d like to thank NetGalley, Imbrifex Books and Brett Riley for a copy of both the audiobook and e-book in return for an honest review.

The continuation of the story picks up at the end of where 'Freaks' leaves off. Mr Riley connects mythology with the superhero-young adult fantasy. This book could even stand along well on its own. The old gang is back and their characters grow and relationships become more complicated as more join the action. The story finished off with potential for another book. Teenage readers of action-fantasy will find this an heart-pounding read. Nicely narrated slowly enough that readers can follow along with a book. Dialect and voice pitches help make the different characters' conversation easier to follow.

This was a really nice whirlwind of a read. It's one-hundred percent the kind of book I would have obsessed over when I was a teen!

Unfortunately, when I requested this book, I didn’t realize it was a sequel. I did at least catch what was going on, but the first scene was jarring.

This book was definitely not written for me and I can get behind what it was trying to do, but ultimately, it fell short for me. The characters were fun and it was decent read, but I can’t say I’d pick up the third or go back to the first.

After reading Freaks I was honored with being given the opportunity to read and listen to Travelers almost immediately after. I'm very curious if it's just going to end where it is or if there will be a third book. Either way, it was well written and for being someone who isn't a huge fan of Stranger Things type stories, I think this author and narrator have won my heart forever! It was a page-turner and there as so much action and excitement. Was very sad for it to end

- thanks to netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the ARC in exchange for an early review.

Thank you NetGalley for access to this arc in exchange for an honest review!

Travelers is a very crazy (the good kind!) & entertaining read and one I rate 3 stars despite jumping into without reading the first novel. Yes this book is actually a sequel to the original story “Freaks” which I personally have yet to read! So I can assume it would just add more to the rating if I were to go back and read it!

This book is about high school friends aka the “freaks” who all have powers and are constantly being watched by the CIA and attempt to conceal their powers as much as possible. But what happens when the freaks are faced with a stronger force than they could ever imagine? Rabbit, a shape shifting god, is now closer to destroying the freaks. Is this a battle they can win? Where do the CIA stand within this battle? & how will this affect their powers? I would definitely recommend this book!

Thanks NetGalley for the ARC!

I didn't realize this book was a sequel when I started it but honestly, it was enjoyable wtihout reading the first installment. The main characters are high schoolers with super powers dealing with the CIA on their backs and a god level nemesis. It didn't seem like a lot of character development within the story and I had a little trouble relating to the friends. Still a quick fun read and I reccomend!

Thanks again to Netgalley for the audio book arc. I enjoyed this story overall! I hadn’t read the Freaks (The first book) but still had a strong understanding of what the characters were and how they interacted. I found the story to be in interesting and entertaining with plenty of funny moments. I didn’t feel a great amount of tension from the story but there were alot of moments that I liked overall.

Okay, it took me a while to get to this one because I didn't realize it was second in the series, so I had to order the first one, then read that, then read this one. And oh man. It was worth it.

This series is an absolute TRIP, in the best and weirdest and craziest way! We didn't carry the first in our store but I plan on ordering it in to hand sell both.

The Narrator did a good job. I liked her voice and kept me engaged in the Aduiobook. The story however was fine. There was something up with that other man expically when he mind someone's father. The rabbit bad or God was cool bad guy. I didn't connect to the story nor the characters in the book as much as I liked. Not sure if I'll be continuing.

I liked that this has the same narrator as Freaks. She does a great job of differentiating between characters.

There is great representation in this book including a nonbinary character who is introduced in this novel. Kenneth is still working on growth and continues to show his bigotry but it is a lot quieter now. It's more an internal dialog instead of him taking it out on everyone. It seems an accurate enough portrayal, I think I can just say that I don't like that character at this point.

The relationship between Gabby and Jamie continues to grow and is one of the more pleasant sub story lines in the book.

The antagonist for this novel is the Native American trickster god, Rabbit. He is a shapeshifter and is extremely angry with the freaks for their potential to upset the natural order and because most of them are white. Christian has Native American ancestry and this plays a major role in the main plot of this book.

This book may make you uncomfortable but in a way that encourages introspection and growth. It addresses how Native Americans have been wronged throughout history. Travelers does a great job of continuing the story started in Freaks as well as setting up for the next book.

Travelers A Freaks Novel by Brett Riley, narrated by P J Morgan, is the second book in the series and follows the book Freaks. Book one introduced us to the characters and the life-changing event that brings us to book 2. So the Freaks are back in school and trying to act as usual while doing counter-surveillance on the government group sent to watch/eliminate them. All the kids want to do is live their everyday lives, go to school, play video games, and date. However, there is something new and much more dangerous watching and waiting. Will the kids stay off the government radar, and will they be able to band together and fight off this new threat?
So I wasn't a huge fan of the last book, but I am glad I soldiered on and read book 2. This book was so much better. We got to see the characters beyond their cliched roles. I love how they always seem to one-up the government task force sent to watch them. The pace is much quicker in this book. Additionally, this book has a more elaborate plot where they are still trying to lay low from the government. They must also find a way to deal with the uncle, who owns the book that opened the portal and has infiltrated their lives. Finally, there is a powerful shapeshifter after them. There are some legends and myths incorporated in the story that explains the origin of the shapeshifter called Rabbit. The freaks continue to explore their powers.
I had an issue with a few things in this book. First off, not sure why the kids hid what they did from the uncle whose book they used. He knew more about the situation than them. Not that I blame them for their distrust. Also, I was not too fond of the posturing of the surveillance team and the shapeshifter. They knew what the kids were, but it was like they were playing with them. I felt like there should have been more conflict or making the others question the truth and show a little more doubt about the situation.
It was a fun and exciting read. This book was less about good vs. evil and more about power. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book for middle school and young adult readers as they could relate best to the main characters. There is some mild violence and profanity. This book reads like a comic or marvel movie where you have heroes, villains, and the worry of exposure. If you're looking for an exciting book where the underdogs become superheroes and have loyal friends willing to do anything for each other, this would be a great read!

I remember reading Freaks and being on the fence about it. It was OK but there were things about it that took away from my enjoyment. Distracting issues. I don't know if it is the familiarity of the characters or that this book is just written more to my style, but I enjoyed this one much more.

The opening is the kind that makes a reader sit up and wonder what the heck is going on. I felt the characters, when they came back, were much more developed and interesting. It felt before like they were outlines. They are filling in nicely.

The mythologies brought in this time were far more interesting. There were a lot of moving pieces from the previous book as well as some new characters that only make the story more interesting.

A much improved sequel.