In the Shadow of a Queen

Pub Date 04 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 18 Oct 2022

Talking about this book? Use #IntheShadowofaQueen #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Based on the true story of the free-spirited daughter of Queen Victoria.

As a young woman, Princess Louise is considered the most beautiful and talented daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She is also strong-willed and resists following the queen’s rigid rules and strict protocols for a princess.

After her father’s untimely death, Louise’s life is upended by the inconsolable grief of her mother and the rippling effect that rocks the British Empire. Captive to the queen’s overwhelming mourning, Louise is forbidden to leave her mother’s tight circle of control, attend balls, or have any kind of relationship outside the royal family. She is relegated to the position of personal secretary to her mother—the same position each of her sisters held until they were married.

Already an accomplished painter, Louise risks the queen’s wrath by exploring the art of sculpting, an activity viewed as unbefitting a woman. When Louise involves herself in the day’s political matters without Queen Victoria’s approval, including championing the career of a female doctor and communicating with suffragettes, the queen lays down the law to stop her and devotes her full energy and resources to finding an acceptable match for her defiant daughter.

In the Shadow of a Queen is the story of an epic battle of wills between two women: a daughter determined to forge her own life beyond the shadow of her mother, and a queen resolved to keep the Crown’s reputation unsullied no matter the cost.

PAGES 384

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I have rated this book 4.5 stars and deducted a half star for the use of Ms. in the story. That title was not in existence during that time period. Other than that this is a wonderful book about Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria. I knew nothing about her and now want to learn more. The author does a wonderful job of allowing the reader to really get to not only know Louise but learn about the protocols of having to live your life as a royal. A book not to be missed. Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an e-arc in exchange for my honest opinion.

I'll fess up, I'm a Tudor fanatic. However, after reading this book, which I couldn't put down, Queen Victoria and her family have taken over. The compassion I had for Princess Louise was overwhelming. It was well written and not too confusing with all the similar names. I will be looking for similar books. I'm hooked, so thank you Heather.

This review was given freely with no bias.

In the Shadow of a Queen by Heather B. Moore is an excellent historical fiction that highlights Princess Louise, one of Queen Victoria’s daughters. I loved it!

I have read several books by Ms. Moore, and have enjoyed all thus far. I am also a huge fan of anything Queen Victoria, so I loved this book that focuses on one of her daughters, Louise.

I loved the way the author blended historical details and known facts/events with a fictional narrative. It felt as if it all just fit perfectly and we were able to peer into Windsor through a window.

It was engaging, entertaining, and I really enjoyed reading it.

I also enjoyed the notes of historical detail and inspiration by the author at the beginning.

Thank you NG and Shadow Mountain Publishing for this wonderful arc and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.

I am posting this review to my GR and Bookbub accounts immediately and will post it to my Amazon, Instagram, and B&N accounts upon publication on 10/4/22.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Queen Victoria's daughter, Louise. Apart from learning in detail about her personal life and her development as an artist, I learned a lot about being a daughter of Queen Victoria's, and this was definitely no easy task! Though Victoria was a doting mother, she also was dominating, having a say in most decisions if not all! Had she been always so controlling, or did the death of her darling Albert lead to this ? Reading about Louise, I kept wondering how her life would have like when her father had lived younger... Louise proved to be a woman with modern ideas. Will she be able to influence her mother, starting with her art? A very interesting (marriage, women's rights and role in society, politics,) informative and compelling read!
I received a digital ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review! Thank you so much.

I read this book because I am a huge fan of HB Moore's historical fiction. She is such an expert at weaving fact and fiction. This is probably the first book that I didn't really care for. I felt a little lost at times. The chapter quotes from actual letters rarely pertained to the 'going ons' in the chapter and were sometimes out of date and that confused me. I also felt like the book covered so much time. For a while, we would read about Louise day to day activities and then suddenly we jump a year. I was confused about her attending the public academy to study sculpturing and then there isn't much mention to how it ends- did she just stop? I was also a little confused by the lack of narrative about her bout with meningitis when it is revealed during the epilogue that this is probably what caused her to not be able to bear children. So it was actually quite serious! There was a bit a history that I was unfamiliar with so I did learn a lot about that I had to remind myself many times that I was reading about the Queen of England and her family! You feel like you are just reading about any family which is both startling and strangely rewarding. Overall, if you enjoy English history and want to know more about the Victoria's daughter Louise- this is a great read!

I have been trying to read more historical fiction and broaden my horizons, so I was excited to try out this book. In the Shadow of a Queen was a fascinating book about Princess Lousie, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s daughter, by Heather B Moore.
This book was really interesting to read and learn more about Princess Lousie. I had actually never read or seen anything about her so it was really cool to read. Princess Louise was trying to balance being herself and being a princess. This book takes us through many movements in Princess Lousie’s life, the death of her father, her sister’s marriages, starting school, and even getting married herself are some of the things that this book takes us through.
I really enjoyed the way this book was written, it was easy to read and understand. It did drag a bit more for me but that could be because I am just slowly getting into historical fiction. However I feel as if I learned a lot about Princess Louise, her family, and the time that she lived in. The Princess was truly amazing to read about, she stood firm in her ideas and beliefs and did many great things.
In the Shadow of a Queen was a good book. I would recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction or those who are interested in learning more about Princess Louise. It displays a world that seems so far away and different and yet it shows how these people were just human too.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the publisher through Netgalley. All views expressed are only my honest opinion, a positive review was not required.

I absolutely loved this story. Louise was such a strong woman even in her younger years she was way ahead of her time. I really enjoyed following her growing up and all her family dynamics. Her relationship with John was very special. Being a Campbell I especially enjoyed reading about my Scottish heritage. This a very sweet, clean romance.

Interesting historical fiction about one of Queen Victoria's daughters, Louise. I was not at all familiar with her, and she was a fascinating and ahead-of-her-time woman. I enjoyed learning about her and other aspects of life under Queen Victoria.

hank you to NetGalley and Heather B. Moore for providing me with a free digital ARC of In the Shadow of a Queen.

Queen Victoria has always fascinated me. She ruled for a long time; she loved her husband Prince Albert and she had many children.
This book follows Queen Victoria’s daughter, Louise. She’s the fourth child. It begins with her at age 13.
I enjoyed the real letters at the beginning of the chapters. I always love when historical nonfiction elements are added to historical fiction.
There were a lot of characters. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert had nine children. Unfortunately, Prince Albert passes away fairly quickly in the story.
I thought the book was well researched, even though I’m sure some liberties were taken when it came to the actual dialogue. There was great attention to detail.
It was interesting Louise wasn’t in a rush to get married. I thought as a princess, she would be matched with a future husband fairly quickly after she turned marrying age. It seemed like she didn’t have many options.
Some of the book was a bit dry. To be honest, I definitely thought the love interest would show up sooner and I thought there would be a bit more chemistry between him and Louise. Things picked up more after around chapter 28 and the story was a lot more interesting. I just wasn’t into her teenage years as much. It seemed like there wasn’t a real feel for her character until she was older. I did really admire that she made a love match instead of marrying the first Royal she saw.

Overall, the book was well written and informative. It had a lot of historical background in Louise’s life. However, I wasn’t as invested in the story. It was a bit dry for my taste and I wasn’t in the mood to read it at times. I think it was just lacking something for me. I would’ve liked to see more about her married life and less about her teen years. I have other books by Heather B Moore, so I’ll definitely read more of her work.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys English Royal stories.

Love this book. I love anything about Queen Victoria. It does drag a little at times, especially during the morning period for Albert. I understand the queen mourned for him for a long time but you have to move things along in a book or you lose the reader's interest. Overall, I liked it.

Heather Moore has done it again, This was stunning! It was well-paced and captivating from start to finish. It was both intriguing and fascinating. This is one I'll return to again and again. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

Not being acquainted with historical novels it was with an open mind that I felt it long overdue that I corrected this oversight. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this account Princess Louise’s life was both extremely interesting and concisely written, without overloading the reader unnecessary detail. Princess Louise came across as a charming, free-spirited young lady, bound by the traditions of her time. The love she shared with her husband, John Campbell, was insurmountable and very much in keeping with modern times. The author’s in-depth research has produced a remarkable novel, particularly with regards to the disharmony within the Royal family at times of war.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this advance copy.

Princess Louise was a young girl when her father, Prince Albert died. Her mother, Queen Victoria, remained in mourning the rest of her life. This book details how the family survived his death as well as surviving the Queen's life long mourning of her husband, Prince Albert. In all there were 9 children whose lives we learned about in this novel, but only one really stood out and that was Princess Louise. A gifted talent who struggled with the will and domination of her mother. Not to say she was the only one whose relationship with Queen Victoria, however, while the other siblings literally branched out to become "royalty" in other countries, Louise certainly was much more than a Princess waiting for her Prince. I enjoyed this book immensely and wish to thank Ms. Moore for her research and her skill as an author. My thanks to NetGalley for this book in exchange for an honest review.

In the Shadow of a Queen is my new favorite book written by the talented Heather B. Moore. I loved learning more about Louise and the author's vision of her. Five stars.

This book was fantastic! This is a historical fiction piece, looking a the life of Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's daughter. Louise is a few spirit and wants to be out from under her mother's shadow. However, after the death of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria tightens her reigns over her children. Victoria is doing her best to keep the Crown looking good to the public and Louise simply wants to create her own life and Do what she desires to do. I enjoyed getting this glimpse into the lives of royalty. Heather Moore is a fantastic author and this book did not disappoint! It is well written, easy to read, and entertaining.

3.5*
Firstly I just want to say that the cover is gorgeous and when I rate something 3.5 that means I enjoyed it, I'm just unnecessarily harsh, for literally no reason. Alright, now that that's out of the way, let's talk about In the Shadow Of A Queen by Heather B. Moore. In the Shadow of A Queen is about Queen Victoria's fourth daughter Princess Louise, it follows her story from when she was a child (I forgot if it was 11 or maybe 13) till when she is a 23 year old married women.

Honeslty is knew nothing about Queen Victoria's kids so was going into this blind, and can I just say Princess Louise was lowkey giving girl boss energy, like she was sculptor because you know she wanted to, she went to an art school even though that was 'below' royals, she married a peasant (gasp) and she founded this science and art school for impoverished girls. Honestly idk how I've never heard of her, but good for her.

Anyway back to the book, I thought the book was slow but I actually really liked the part where she was hunting for a husband. It was so funny to me because it was this big deal and like 30% of the book (maybe more), the guys were such characters (by that I mean they were given one personality trait, like being into racehorses and that was it lol). And even though at my core I am a hater, I think Louise and the guy she picked were kinda cute, until they got to together then it was too sappy for me. The writing didn't do for me but I had no problems with it either. it did the job of telling the story.

To conclude, I enjoyed learning a bit more about English history and Princess Louise, so maybe check this out if you've been craving a historical fiction, it was a fun time.

I just thoroughly loved reading In the Shadow of a Queen. Louise is Queen Victoria’s 6th child. The queen had nine children. The paparazzi are always following the royalty in England and this book felt like you had the inside news on them. I loved all the details of royal life including how sheltered they were. Louise tries to break the mold by wanting to learn how to sculpt which in those days was seen as a male, not female, activity. Queen Victoria over the years sees her daughters skill and does allow her to eventually pursue her desires. Louise also breaks the mold when it comes to getting married. There are not many eligible royals at the time Louise comes of age . This becomes quite a dilemma for both her and Queen Victoria. The novel is very cleverly written including many true events on how she eventually finds a spouse. It is a very fun read about a princess who finds her way in life. I would highly recommend this book to anyone! I just loved it!!!

So much is known of Queen Victoria but there isn’t much interest in her children most of whom were married off to various monarchies all over Europe. Naturally I wanted to read In the Shadow of a Queen to learn more about Queen Victoria’s children. After the unfortunate death of her father Prince Albert Princess Louise the sixth child and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert is thrust into a role of a lifetime. She becomes personal secretary to her overbearing mother and sequestered to a life of subservience to the Queen. This book was bit slow to start but as we delve deeper into her life, love and marriage we find she was more than royal she was talented and courageous. She had a pension for the arts, women’s rights and was clearly ahead of her time. I enjoyed this book but wished it would have delved specifically into the causes, charities and personal contributions of Princess Louise rather than focusing so much on her upbringing, and engagement.

Loved this book. Well researched historical fiction. Especially loved all the time and effort the author put into the Chapter Notes at the end of the book. In the Shadow of the Queen is based on Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise (sixth child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert born in 1848).

Evidently Queen Victoria kept quite a journal and in addition there were many letters sent to/from Princess Louise. So fascinating being a young woman assisting the queen and the efforts that went into finding a husband for Princess Louise. Loved having this unique glimpse into the royal world of this by-gone era.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to review In the Shadow Of the Queen in exchange for an honest review, and to the author Heather B. Moore and to the publisher Shadow Mountain Publishing. Publication Date is Oct 4, 2022.

Also thank you to NetGalley for introducing me to Heather B. Moore. I also highly recommend The Slow March of Light by this author.

In the Shadow of A Queen was an addicting read. It's rightly titled in the shadow of a Queen because I haven't heard anything about Louise ( One of Queen Victoria's Younger Children.) I really appreciated the detailed research that Heath B. Moore does in her books. ( Having read a book of hers before.)

Louise Daughter of Queen Victoria her passion is sculpting and artistic mediums. Shes very vocal and opinonated and not a shy wallflower. Louise life was restricted due to her father dying when she was young. When all her siblings were getting married off to poltical advatages she wasn't really thought about as much. She was called Loosy. I was hooked from page one the book was an addicting read it got so intense and I just couldn't stop even though I had to keep setting it aside. I appreciate the chance of being contacted to read this book!

Please check this book out October 4 2022 and I received a chance to review this arc in exchange for an honest review.

IN THE SHADOW OF A QUEEN is a beautifully written historical novel in which HEATHER B MOORE gives us insight into the lives of Queen Victoria and her children, especally her fourth daughter Princess Louise. We see the close family relationships and the protective love of a mother who wants the best for her children, whilst expecting them to uphold the monarchy and her very strict rules.
We follow Louise’s life from childhood, seeing her pain at the death of her beloved father and the ongoing pain caused by her mother’s grief and long years of mourning.
Louise is an artist whose main passion is sculpture, and we see how she gradually obtains permission from her mother to pursue this gift. She is also passionate about women’s rights and avidly follows politics, although these interessts are frowned upon by the,queen. In fact she can do noting without the queen’s permission.
I like to see how Louise honours Queen Victoria as her queen and how she loves her mother and her siblings, in spite of the criticism that comes from all sides.
The author has obviously done a great deal of research, but this book is definitely not merely an historical account. We are taken right into life at that time and get to understand the characters and their feelings. I highly recommend In the Shadow of a Queen as a most enjoyable read.
I was given a free copy of the book by NetGalley from Shadow Mountain Publishing The opinions in this review are completey my own.

Such an interesting character and a well written story. I thoroughly enjoyed this historical fiction story about a little-known (to me at least) daughter of Queen Victoria. The author clearly did her research and the story was laid out in an interesting and entertaining manner.

In the story Princess Louise is one of the youngest daughters of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. In a time when marriage matches among royalty is about politics and not romance, Princess Louise is prepared to do her duty. But while she admires her mother and is loyal to the crown, she is also a strong-willed woman determined to live her own life. The path Princess Louise takes is a journey worth reading about.

This novel would appeal to those who enjoy historical fiction, reading about royalty, and women’s rights. I highly recommend.

Just like the author Heather B Moore, my interest in the Royal family began in the 1980s...when Diana came on the scene. I bought a huge book on the Royal family and slowly worked my way back in history.
While Queen Victoria has been portrayed in modern movies and dramas, it was a pleasure to explore a small timeframe in the life of her daughter Louise....a forward thinking artistic young lady, restricted by her royal heritage, austre mother and expectations of women in this era. Louise was ahead of her time in championing woman's rights as the suffragette movement establishes itself.
"In the Shadow of a Queen" is a very apt title. Louise is trying to make her own path in life, focussing on her artistic talents including sculpting. But her mother is bogged down by her dedication to royal protocol and her depression caused by losing her husband Albert so young. In the same way as her older sisters, Louise is forbidden to leave her mother's side....becoming her private secrery. Louise is forced to find ways to obey her mother's wishes, but also enable her own wishes come true.
Heather effortlessly weaves history with fiction in a fascinating read I loved. Such a well researched and seamlessly fictionalised narrative - I truly believed I knew Louise so well.
"In the Shadow of a Queen is the story of a battle of wills between two women: a daughter determined to forge her own life beyond the shadow of her mother, and a queen resolved to keep the Crown’s reputation unsullied no matter the cost"
Thanks to NetGalley, Shadowmountain Publishing and Heather B Moore for my copy of this book.

I enjoyed this stunning history of Queen Victorias most interesting daughter. It was interesting to follow her from pre-teen years throughout her life and the husband hunt was my favorite part. Learning about Queen Victoria was equally fascinating.

Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of the book. All opinions stages are my own.

I have always been interested in royalty, and I find Queen Victoria fascinating. I was so excited to read this book and learn more about her daughter, Louise.

I went into this book knowing nothing about Louise, but I came away with a lot of admiration for her! I love that she found ways to be herself despite the royal expectations. I was so grateful that she was able to marry for love. Her loyalty to her family is admirable - I definitely would have struggled with the demands!

I could tell that Heather B. Moore really worked hard to take all the information available on these historical figures and fill in their stories. I loved the quotes from letters at the beginning of each chapter.

I definitely recommend this one to anyone who enjoys the Victorian era!

Thank you to NetGalley, Shadow Mountain Publishing, and Heather B. Moore for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest opinions.

Fantastic book. Well researched, well written, and interesting to read. I was surprised the author didn't touch upon or even mention Princess Louise's supposed illegitimate child (never proven) or her husband's homosexuality. Overall, a very enjoyable book. Louise was always my favorite of Victoria and Albert's children. I loved her spark of life and stubborness.

Strong writing from an experienced author. With a good plot and well crafted characters, this has the elements of a good historical tale that most fans of the genre will likely enjoy. Recommended.

Thanks very much for the free ARC for review!!

This story is a fictionalized account of Queen Victoria's fourth daughter, Princess Louise. Louise is a headstrong, independent-thinking, liberal-minded "modern" young woman who longs to go to art school to perfect her sculptures.

Stars: This book is obviously well-researched. Even though I've read a lot about Victoria and her family, there was still new information I hadn't come across before. I enjoyed learning about Louise's journey to finding a husband. This was an easy, quick and enjoyable read.

Wishes: The book seemed like two stories: the first being Louise's childhood and longing to do art and the second being her challenges to marriage and the subsequent happy partnership she was able to create. I wish the book had continued and tied together her plans for women's rights along with her supportive marriage. It seemed to end abruptly.

I have read many books and articles about Queen Victoria herself, but I must admit that I have not read much about her children. I love that the author includes each of her children in this book even though it’s mostly about Princess Louise. It was very captivating and I could not stop reading cause I had to know more. The relationship between Louise and Bertie was probably my favorite because we get to see his soft side for his little sister. All in all this book was amazing and it’s definitely worth a read, I will be reading again in the future.

England, 1861. This story begins with Princess Louise at age twelve and it takes about one-third of the book before she reaches eighteen. Her adolescent years are slow in pace. The story picks the pace half way through when her mother tries to match her with the right candidate for a husband.

The style of writing has a lot of who is doing what, how people are behaving, or at times step-by-step descriptions with lots of dialogue. I was missing characterization of a strong character. Princess Louise is artistically talented and a strong willed person who’d rather forge her own path, rather than follow the strict protocols. And the story weaves it in, but I just didn’t feel it.

It is still an interesting story with a smooth prose. When it comes to dialogue, it’s a personal preference, less dialogue and more characterization. Thus, you may not even notice it.

I found this book slow going. Partly because I would stop to look things up as I didn't know much about this era of history prior to reading this, and partly because it's basically a fictionalized biography, so not the most gripping of tales. That said, Heather Moore does a great job of fleshing out the historical characters and bringing them to life in a relatable way.

I'm glad the book ended when it did, on a positive note. One of my favourite parts of this book was when Princess Louise first met a commoner who didn't instantly recognise her. The exchange was humorous and showed the Princess' character to be very different to what people expected from a Royal.
I will say that I enjoyed Moore's 'The Paper Daughter's of Chinatown" more than this one, but it is a great way to learn more history without going to dry textbooks.

"In the Shadow of a Queen" is a historical fiction based on real facts and people.

I nearly didn't pick this book when I saw the cover, because I thought it would be some kind of mystery/thriller book, but far from it! It's a historical fiction sprinkled with a little bit of romance towards the end.
Just reading the summary, I realised the potential and originality of this book. It is rare to read a fiction from the point of view of a real historical person, and even less common when they are not so famous!

This book is about Louise, the sixth child (and fourth daughter) of Queen Victoria. We follow her from her young teens until right after her marriage. We follow her as we grows up, as she grieves, as she loves, as she becomes an artist and a more engaged woman.

At the beginning of each chapter is an extract from letters of the royal family. That was were a great addition - giving not only direct insight into their thoughts, but also showing how people used to write back in the days!

As always, I really enjoyed Heather B. Moore's writing. We dive seamlessly into the story, jump from one year to the next without realising it. It nearly feels like time-travelling more than reading a story!

I really appreciated discovering Princess Louise's life in the different royal houses, the numerous restrictions she had, as well as the few privileges she could boast. Rather than living "in the shadow of a queen", it rather seemed that she lived a life under the heel of a demanding queen !
While we can easily related to "Loosy" thanks to her open, curious and slightly rebellious character, one just cannot envy her royal life because she had so much pressure and so little freedom...

This book really made the consider real historical characters in a different way - especially Queen Victoria - and also encouraged me to get lost into Wikipedia to learn more about each member of the royal family, the rest of their lives, their children...

In a nutshell, a really great book which I would highly recommend to discover more about the life of Queen Victoria's family, and especially of Louise.

#intheshadowofaqueen #netgalley

This was a great story to read. I loved the storyline and the characters, definitely recommend this book!

In the Shadow of a Queen is a beautiful depiction of a mother-daughter dynamic. I have seen so many shows that depicted the famous Queen. The book is a unique take on Queen Elizabeth and Prince Albert’s life, especially after the Prince’s death.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in clean, historical fiction. Thank you to the publisher for allowing me to read an arc in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I give it 3.5 Stars.

There are several reasons I was eager to read this book. Having visited the Albert and Victoria Museum in London several times, I didn't feel like I got enough of their actual history from the tours throughout. While I realized they had many children, I hadn't learned much about any of them. Of course, the fact that the heroine of this book was named "Louise" intrigued me more than a bit. My mother was very knowledgeable about British Royalty and continued to study it until she died at an old age. That was one of the many interests she passed down to me, but, unlike her, I was pretty slack in my reading. Then there's the fact that Heather Moore wrote this. I love everything she pens, but, particularly, the historical and scriptural novels. Wow, what research she had to have put into this!

The book mades it so easy for the reader to see these historical characters as real people with real lives. They had some of the human frailties, problems and heartaches as the rest of us. I was, especially, interested in the way that couples to be married were selected and even more so royal couples. It was almost like a science to put the right two individuals together.

Thank you, Heather Moore, for another enjoyable while educational contribution to literature! And thank you, Net Galley, for the opportunity to read it early.

Reviewed on Goodreads for now, will add to other sites when published.

This story is about Princess Louisa -daughter of Queen Victoria of England. It begins when Louise was 12 years old and follows her life and the lives of her family for several years. Important events occur, like the death of her father, and the marriages of her siblings. The story is well written and researched extremely well. I had a hard time getting into the story at the beginning, with several stops and restarts. As Louisa grew I found myself more interested in her and her life story. I had never really paid attention to Queen Victoria's children before, so that drew me in. As she moves through her father's death and her mother's grief, it was interesting to see how those things impacted her and her siblings. There is a wonderful love story woven into this book that I enjoyed a great deal. I would definitely recommend this book to read, give as a gift, and purchase for your library. It has so many historical details that are important in history.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are voluntary and unbiased and are completely my own opinion.

'In the Shadow of a Queen' is a Victorian-era historical fiction novel centred around Louise, the sixth daughter of Queen Victoria, and her fight for freedom within the constraints of royalty. This is a story about knowing who you are from a young age and trying to figure out how you fit within your world. Coming into 'In the Shadow of a Queen', I was excited for a Victorian-era historical fiction novel, especially after just having watched the second season of 'Bridgerton'. I love Victorian-era aesthetics (the heavy velvets, and lace and ballrooms) as well as rebellious coming-of-age stories and royal historical fiction, and this book ticked all of those boxes.

*Characterisation Masterpiece*
The characterisation in this novel was quite literally Perfect with a capital P. Characters of all ages felt genuine and had depth, even minor characters. As Louise grew older she matured in a very natural, unforced way so that it was impossible to see the changes as they were happening but obvious when looking back a few chapters. In addition, no one was depicted as entirely good or evil, a mistake often made in historical fiction. Queen Victoria, for example, was depicted as a complex, controlling woman, but she was also deep in grief for most of the novel whilst still having the best interests of her children at heart. These conflicting motivations create a stark and unique character who did the best she could but was ultimately flawed. This allowed other characters to have complex and contradictory relationships with her that, whilst not often depicted in literature, felt incredibly human.

*Freedom or Romance?*
Generally, 'In the Shadow of the Queen' was a fun read. The pacing was excellent, even though the plot itself was not what I expected. I had thought the story would be more heavily directed towards Louise’s artistic accomplishments and life in public systems outside the constraints of royalty. It did go in this direction for most of the first half, but in the second half there was a sharp swerve towards romance and Louise’s search for a husband. From that point on, the art and freedom subplots were almost entirely dropped, replaced by relationship and war subplots. This did surprise and disappoint me at first, as the first half felt like it was building up to a strong message that was then instead superseded by romance.

However, in retrospect, I don’t think these threads were dropped entirely, but instead were altered to be experienced in relation to Louise’s new relationships. In the first half, Louise was a child and had few responsibilities, and so could explore her freedom in its entirety. However, as she grew older and gained responsibilities, this freedom needed instead to be experienced within the institution of royalty.

Even though it wasn’t what I expected, I did enjoy the romance subplot, and I can understand why it became the focus.

*Writing Style*
The writing itself was clear, easy to read and never dragged. Interactions between the characters, much like the characterisation, felt very genuine, and Moore’s ability to clearly express complex emotions so concisely and in such an easily understandable way was impressive.

*Fun and Unique*
Ultimately, 'In the Shadow of a Queen' was a unique, fun, easy-to-read historical fiction that encouraged a genuine connection to the characters, and as a result I rated it 4 stars. Even though it went in a different direction than I expected it to, I was never disappointed.

I would like to begin by saying that I love the cover art!

I have always been interested in monarch history. I have read several articles and books on both Queen Victoria and Albert. I don't know much about their children, apart from the learning difficulties Bertie struggled with. I quite enjoyed learning about Louise.

This book is well-written and engaging. A few parts were a bit slow, but overall it was an interesting read.

This was an interesting book. I did not know anything about Princess Louise and so gained quite a bit of knowledge. It was also interesting looking at what a real life Princess's life looked like, and at least for Queen Victoria's daughters, it wasn't quite so glamorous. It was interesting to see what life was like at that time period, with all the wranglings of countries and inter marriages. I enjoyed her relationship with her brother Leo and wondered much about her eldest brother and his family.

I felt the story dragged a bit for me, but on a historical level it was done well.

If you love the Victoria and Albert era, you will be enticed by the excerpts from historic letters and diaries that introduce each chapter. The aftermath of Prince Alberts death is not always flattering to the Queen, but I have to believe that her own love story softened her heart when it came to a match for Princess Louise. The princess was impressive and definitely ahead of her time. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT google her until after you finish the book. It was more fun to read about her early years without knowing all of the places her 91 years of life took her.

I have never known much about Queen Victoria's family so it was interesting to catch a glimpse of their lifestyle through this book. It seems that the kids were mostly close, other than when they married spouses of opposing sides of the war, which naturally split the family. Louise's story intrigued me because she didn't just do what was expected of her. She was very independent and progressive in her thinking. Her relationship with her brothers Bertie and Leo were particularly endearing and her friendship with Sybil. I can imagine being a royal can be quite lonely at times but Louise weathered the storms with grace and became a very strong character as a result.
I would recommend this book for anyone who has any interest in the modern history of the English royal family. It was a great read.

As one who loves learning about Queen Victoria, I chose to read this novel, despite it being a different genre than what I normally choose. I definitely don’t regret that choice! I was (and still am) fascinated by Princess Louise, her siblings and mother, Queen Victoria. Between the life story of Princess Louise, the dynamics of her family and her and John Campbell’s sweet love story, I thoroughly enjoyed and looked forward to reading this book every chance I got. I now want to learn more about the royal family, thanks to Heather B. Moore’s thorough research and beautiful talent for storytelling. This is one I will be recommending to my fellow Queen Victoria fans.

I received an ARC of novel but all thoughts and opinions are unbiased and my own.

This was such an interesting read! I didn't know anything about Princess Louise before reading this book, and I enjoyed learning about her life. I really appreciated the author's notes on each chapter at the end of the book that detailed the historical facts from each. I also learned about Queen Victoria and this made me want to read more about her. Overall it was an enjoyable read and I would recommend it to fans of historical fiction.

5 stars ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ YES! It cannot be anything else!
I loved this, based upon true story novel, by Hannah B Moore. I don’t think I’ve read anything I didn’t like yet. I haven’t read them all, but I love her writing. In this she talks of and describes the life of Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. It starts out with Princess Louise in her young years, then her teen years, then her in her twenties and ready for marriage if she can find the right man. It was just a marvelous book and I enjoyed reading every word.

Louise, sixth child of Queen Victoria, loses her father, Prince Albert when she is turning thirteen. Her life changes overnight and, forced into a lengthy period of mourning that would last for years, she finds herself a prisoner of the throne. Gifted artistically she longs to study sculpture in a time when futures were limited for young women, especially one who has to rely on permission from her mother to do anything. Finding a husband becomes an international affair. Heather B. Moore uses actual correspondence to base her interpretation of this talented, caring and popular royal figure and to flesh out the events of her life. This is my second novel by this author; her storytelling pace is good and held my interest throughout. Louise is a likable character.

I’m so grateful I was given an advanced copy from NetGalley. This book covers 10 years of princess Louise’s life. The daughter of queen Victoria. It begins right before her father, Prince Albert passes away and ends.… well, you’ll have to read it to find out.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
-First off, that cover gets a chef’s kiss from me. It couldn’t be more perfect for the story.

-The people, political events and society at the time was combined together beautifully. I LOVE historical fiction, and this was like that warm cup of hot chocolate on a cold day. I felt right at home learning about this extraordinary woman.

-The extensive research that went into this book and its splendid execution has raised my respect for Heather Moore as an author. It is a longer book than I think Moore usually writes so when you pick this up, get comfortable. (384 pages)

- For the first 60% of the book, I was on a swing of intrigue. The tempo was high and then it was low and back again. But I didn’t mind it. I only mention that because if you go into this book expecting a fast-paced plot with lots of twists and turns like you’d find in a regular novel, you’ll probably be bored at times. Remember that there’s not a lot of liberties you can take with a princess of England’s life story. She did have an extraordinary life. Especially considering the time period and her parentage.

-I loved her artistic pursuits and while I understand why the focus eventually shifted, I wish there would have been more time spent in that time of her life.

-It drove me crazy how long it took to meet her future husband. (More than halfway through the book) This is not a critique against Mrs. Moore. It’s simply how history played out and I admit that the wait made it that much sweeter. The graceful way Mrs. Moore wrote their love story will stay with me for some time.

-I wish that the characters who had accents would have had their cadence in the dialogue. For example, there are a few Scottish characters/people, and I would have appreciated a simple “nae,” “Lass,” or “wee bit” thrown in. While it was mentioned that they spoke with a Scottish accent, I wanted to have it in their conversations.

-I loved that at the end of the book, each chapter had brief historical notes. It was fascinating and it made me appreciate the respect and attention to detail Moore gave to Louise’s story even more.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. This comes out October 4th, 2022.

Characters - 10
Atmosphere/Setting - 10
Writing Style - 8
Plot - 9
Intrigue - 9
Logic/Relationships - 9
Enjoyment - 9

Total: 64
Divided by 7 = 9.1 ( 5 Stars )
1.1-2.2 *
2.3-4.5 **
4.6-6.9 ***
7.0-8.9 ****
9.0-10 *****

I absolutely loved this book! I took it very slowly to enjoy the writing along with the narrative! Princess Louisa was delightful and I think we would have been friends! Her mother frightens the daylights out of me, but I get it. She demanded obedience to laws because of who she was. I think it is all so fascinating and would love for more! I truly enjoyed the love story! Makes me smile to think about it even now!

Thank you, Heather B. Moore for writing such a riveting story based on historic facts. Louisa is such a sweet princess. I feel as if she and I could be friends. She loves her family dearly and finds ways to honor them despite the friction and one disappointment after another. I'm amazed at the good she offers to those around her, the relationships she builds and the affluence she has when she has been so sheltered through adulthood. I think her creativity not only blesses her with innate joy but a lot of patience as she deals with the whims of her Mama. I'm relieved that she has more freedom to live her life as she becomes more acquainted with John. This story was very easy to read yet it took me several days more than usual. I think it was because I had to reframe my ideas of who the Queen is. I argued with her the entire way through this story...Seriously? Why? What the heck? Really? I cannot believe....and on and on and on. I'd be happy to vent with someone who has read and felt the same way. I did feel relieved and I guess "in like" with the queen as Louisa's voice was heard and her happiness more of a forefront in life decisions. If you love historical fiction or just need a great recommendation, please read In the Shadow of a Queen.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading In the Shadow of a Queen about Queen Victoria’s daughter, Louise. I find it fascinating to read about real historical characters and always end up doing a little more research on them to satisfy my curiosity.  I didn’t know much about her before reading this book and was delighted to learn of this talented young women with her forward thinking ways. I enjoyed seeing how she tried to push her boundaries and stay true to herself without alienating the queen. The author pulled me into her story and kept me interested to find out how Louise resolved her dilemmas until the very end. The real letters at the beginning of each chapter were an added bonus that I found very interesting. I was curious to find out how the author would end the story as I got closer to the end and Princess Louise was still a young woman, but I found the last chapter to be a perfect ending!

I really enjoyed this book, going into this I didn't know much about Princess Louise. This was such an interesting read, there was a lot of research that must have gone into this book, I really appreciate this. Her search to find love was great and the highlight of the book. Heather Moore is a really wonderful author, this book was very entertaining and did not disappoint.

It was a great historical read , well written and I would recommend it to anyone interested in Queen Victoria or any of the royals.

This book offers a fascinating glimpse into life as a royal under Queen Victoria’s rule. The story follows Princess Louise, who was the fourth daughter and sixth child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of England, during a ten-year period from when she was age 13 until age 23. The book is well-named because it seems like Queen Victoria attempts–and often succeeds–to control as much of Louise’s life as possible, despite the princess's fiercely independent nature.

At times this book felt a bit slow-paced and at other times the text was fairly repetitive. However, the work as a whole is worth recognizing because it is very well-researched and there are even historical notes included at the back of the book. I found these just as interesting to read as the story itself.

I will give warning: do not pick up this book expecting it to be a historical romance. Yes, it does take place during a historic time period, and yes, there is some romance. However, I would consider this more a work of biographical fiction than anything else. I say this because the story follows a broad time span of Louise’s young life and relatively little of the book is focused on her courtship and marriage.

Something that really struck me was the sacrifice that royals make in order to serve their country. The responsibility of being a member of the royal family is something that most royal family members are born into--they don't typically choose it. They sacrifice privacy, a normal social and family life, personal dreams and desires, and deal with enormous pressure (from themselves or others) to conduct themselves a certain way. It was humbling to consider what these and other monarchs have given up in behalf of their country and as I read, I felt gratitude for the monarchs who did their best to live exemplary lives.

In all, I thought the book was fascinating and shed light on a family I didn’t know as much about as I thought I did. I recommend it for fans of the British monarchy.

Content Guide:

Sex & Affection--Brief kissing, one character reflects in very general terms on how she enjoys her physical relationship with her husband.

Language--None

Alcohol, & Substance Use--None

Violence & Crime--None

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley.com. All opinions are entirely my own.

#IntheShadowofaQueen #NetGalley

This book gave me a glimpse into what life would be like, living in a royal family, your life is not your own, life is dictated by those who rule. The story is told through the eyes of Princess Louise, a daughter of Queen Victoria, ,soon after her father's death. Princess Louise, is a free-spirited young lady, who wants, to see a more active role in women's suffrage, despite her mother's refusal, to give it any attention. When Queen Victoria, continues to insist, that her family wear morning clothes, years after her husband's death, it is hard on the royal family and their servants. With Princess Louise, getting older, her mother tries to find a suitable match for her, I loved this part of the book. I didn't know much about Queen Victoria and her family, I found this book, to be well researched, and I love the cover,

Like other fans of historical TV dramas, I became intrigued by Queen Victoria and her sweetheart Prince Albert while watching the TV miniseries a few years ago. I've always wondered what it must have been like to raise 9 children in a royal household during the 19th century. Queen Victoria is a larger-than-life historical figure, who left many words (and descendants!) behind to memorialize her. I loved reading about Victoria and Albert's family from the perspective of their daughter Louise, a middle child who seemingly broke all the rules: she became an artisan, married Scottish nobility instead of royalty, and supported women's rights even when (ironically) her mother the Queen insisted that a woman's place was in the home. For someone who held so much power, Queen Victoria has always seemed contradictory to me. This novel gives the reader a good sense of the Queen's quirks and how they affected her children and country. I couldn't help but thing that perhaps if the Queen had access to Zoloft, things might have been a little easier on her posterity. There is no such thing as a perfectly normal, functional family, especially when it comes to royalty. Princess Louise was a loveable character, even if at times I wished she'd been bolder. I loved the portion of the book that talked about how she met and fell in love with her husband--it left me wanting more.

What an amazing book …. So fascinating…so good .. loved reading about the royal family ., their lives and trials and joy .. such a different life …. Just loved looking into their loves
Would recommend this to any one ..
have shared one Facebook, Everyone should read this ☺️

In the Shadow Of a Queen

Based on the true story of the free-spirited daughter of Queen Victoria.

This was an okay read for me. I had a hard time really getting into the story, perhaps because I’m not overly familiar with that part of the royal family. I just didn’t have enough interest to really love it,

"In the Shadow of a Queen" was a relaxing read mostly because I liked the writing so much. It just flowed well and kept me reading.

The story itself wasn't all that intriguing. I think it would have been much more interesting if the author had focused on the protagonist's achievements throughout her life than on her romantic woes which were the main focus of the second half of the book.

My experience with historical fiction mostly about ancient kingdoms political dramas and wars such as Egypt, Mongolian, Japan or Chinesse. And a chance to learn more about England royal family is excited me.
I'm impressed with author's extensive research in this novels. Each stage of year life is detailed describe but still easy to follow. The rescene of events come flawless and natural. All characters flesh out and have depth. Although Queen Victoria's image is widely known but her daughters are mostly mystery for us. The author successfully bring all of them, mostly Princess Louise.

Some reasons why I enjoyed this story:
1. I learned about the royal family dynamics daily life and how they get through passed all the grieves.
2. I enjoyed read about all royal prince and princes are united to supports their country with every talents they have.
3. I mostly love read about unique princess who brave to live with her own choices and fight for another women's life. She with her free spirits found her place in world, did great and out from her Queen mother's shadow.

This story intrigues me enough to make extra researching and the author give all detail where I can starting. This book is worth to read and highly recommended for modern historical fiction readers.

Thank you Netgalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for let me read this copy. I am grateful and my thoughts are my own. This book will publish at 4 October 2022.

This will take you back in history and behind the scenes of the royal family. It's so interesting to learn about customs and expectations. I enjoyed seeing the view from Louisa's perspective. Very thorough and well done!

The cover, title, and premise of the book, In the Shadow of a Queen by Heather B. Moore, intrigued me. Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres, and I hadn’t heard much about Queen Victoria’s daughter Princess Louise, so I was interested in learning more. The depth of research was impressive, and I enjoyed reading the author’s notes in the back of the book. It definitely made me want to learn more about this royal family. It did not, however, make me long to be a princess, especially in Queen Victoria’s family. They seemed to have more than their fair share of problems and drama.

I enjoyed the epigraphs at the beginning of the chapters taken from actual letters and journals. That added interest and showed much of the personality and thoughts of the people involved and brought them more to life. There were parts of the story that I felt dragged a bit, and I wish there was a little more about Louise’s later accomplishments. The ending felt rushed to me. However, I feel that Moore has done a creditable job of capturing the complexities of the royal family during this particular slice of history.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy from Shadow Mountain Publishing through NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

I was uncertain if I'd enjoy this book or not, but I really did!

I often have a hard time with books of fiction where the main characters are real, historic characters. However, I felt like Heather Moore handled it very well.

I read almost exclusively historical fiction, and the vast majority of them are set in England. Reading a book about the royal family itself was definitely different from what I was used to and was a good change of pace. It was interesting to see the power struggle that went on between Louise and Queen Victoria.

I still think that books of fiction where the main characters are historic figures still aren't my favorite, but this book was definitely worth reading.

Heather B. Moore does an amazing job condensing her research into an engrossing story. Even with an extensive list of characters, I was able to keep track of everyone and come to know Queen Victoria's family and understand the dynamics within. I appreciated the pacing as she explored Louise's experiences as a child, before and after her Father's death, time spent as a teenager watching her siblings marry and strike out on their own, and as a young adult navigating her own marriage arrangements and early married life. Moore explores her developing responsibilities and opinions, deals tactfully with difficult situations, and I appreciate that the overall presentation of Louise was in a positive light.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions expressed are completely my own.

This was such an enjoyable read! You can tell a lot of research was put into the book and it paid off! I have read another book recently about Princess Louise so I was familiar to her story, but loved this different take this book went with. I felt like it dove deeper into the relationship between Queen Victoria and Princess Louise and added a unique personable touch to the story of their lives.

If you want to learn more about Queen Victoria and Princess Louise or are a fan of the royal family this is a great book to read! I liked that the book shed some light on other members of the family and not just the mother/daughter duo. Entertaining yet educational, this was such a delightful read! I urge any historical fiction lover to read this when it’s out in October!

Thank you Shadow Mountain Publishing for the advanced copy and to Heather B. Moore for shedding such a bright light on the even brighter star of a woman, Princess Louise!

This book gives us such an interesting insight into Queen Victoria’s life. I love the royal family so any book that has to do with them I am highly interested in. This story explores the relationship between Victoria and Louisa her daughter. Louisa pushes buttons, breaks rules and tries to discover her true self. Victoria wants to protect the crown. So good! 4 starts!!

Heather B. Moore has written another amazing novel based on a true story.  “In the Shadow of a Queen” the true story of Queen Victoria and Princess Louise gives you a personal glance of life as a Royal.  Princess Louise has a talent for sculpting. At age 13 she was using modelling clay, her ambition was to sculpt in marble. Sculpting was not viewed as appropriate for a Princess.  Princess Louise has to come up with a plan that the Queen will approve of so she can take a sculpting class.  Being of Royal Heritage, there are certain protocols that must be strictly followed, who you married, politics, what you were allowed to read and never allow yourself to be put in a scandalous situation!  Princess Louise definitively had her own way of thinking but she was always respectful of her mom, Queen Victoria.  Enjoy reading about her journey and those she cared about the most!

I was given an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've always enjoyed learning about the English monarchy, especially as a young girl and dreaming about being a princess. It was just so fascinating to me. All of the rules and the lifestyle and duties. Of course I probably romanticized a lot of it but at the same time it was the history and trying to understand what life was like long before I was alive. Combine history and the story of a princess who lived many years ago and I couldn't wait to pick up this next book from author Heather B. Moore. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint at all!!! But I always know that when I pick up a book from this author, in whatever genre she is writing in, I will enjoy it!

My reading time has been really limited lately so it did take me a while to finish this one. But I found myself thinking about it a lot in between my time to read it. But I couldn't fall asleep without at least reading a page or two or a chapter or two depending on how tired I was. I found it so interesting. I loved the excerpts from letters or journal entries that the author included at the beginning of each chapter. Some were from Louise and some were to her and others were Queen Victoria's journal entries. I bet the research for this book was quite extensive and very fascinating. I'm sure the author had to really be picky in what to feature and what to leave out from her research. I'm bet this book could be volumes and volumes long.

The book starts in 1861 when Princess Louise is 12 years old and ends in the year 1871 when she is age 23. I loved the portrait that we are able to see of her home life, her siblings, her relationships with her siblings and most especially her mother. It definitely brought a new perspective and thoughts about royalty. I loved Princess Louise's personality and her determination to do something that she loved and to champion causes she felt strongly about. Even if it wasn't quite in the way that she would have hoped to do so, she found ways to make it work and still be listening to her mother and supporting her.

I enjoyed reading about her younger years and how different experiences and losses shaped her. But I especially loved reading about when the time came to find her a husband. Can I just say "swoon?" I won't say anything because if you haven't studied or know anything about her story, I'll let you enjoy it without any spoilers. Such a sweet and gentle love story. With the chance for her to grow and know who she is and what she truly wants. I loved how supportive Queen Victoria was.

I would love to share so much more but you need to read and discover and enjoy it for yourself if you choose to read it. Which I hope you do! The title of this book is very fitting but I loved seeing her have her moments out of the shadow of her mother/monarch and able to bask in the sun and discover herself all while staying true to her mother and the princess that she was born to be.

Content: Clean. There is some death and loss talked about throughout the book. Louise does get married but the marital relationship between her and her husband is very well written and nothing graphic. I would let me teenagers read this book.

I received a copy from the publisher, Shadow Mountain Publishing, via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions in the review are my own.

Happy Reading!!!

The Shadow of a Queen starts when Princess Louise is twelve-years-old when we first meet her. It is a year before the tragic death of her beloved father, Prince Albert. It is a painful time for each of her siblings but especially her mother, Queen Victoria.

It was interesting to see that all of the siblings just interact with each, especially Leo and Louise. Even though they are part of the Royal Family, it was clear that they were also just a family who loved each other despite some of the adversity that was presented to them.

I enjoyed the beginning, it was full of a young idealistic Louise who obviously loves her family, but as she was looking for a potential husband with Queen Victoria’s approval, I found my interest waning a bit here, but it picked up when she realizes that she was very interested in Lord Lorne, and he in her. I liked his strong character, support, and belief in Louise.

I appreciated the character of Queen Victoria because really the only place I had a perspective to draw on were her dour pictures dressed in mourning black. She is a mother but also a monarch of an Empire, and I would expect that it is a hard line to make a good balance between those two determining factors.

Overall, I enjoyed this foray into the life of Princess Louise. Recommended.

My gratitude to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain. All opinions expressed are honest.

I did really enjoy this book. It was a very interesting read. It was well written and I really enjoyed the character of Louise and how she dealt with her royal life. I was always wanting to sit and read as much of the story as I could at every opportunity. The other characters in the book were interesting to read about as well. I will read more books by this author in the future.

I have not read a historical fiction of royalty in quite some time. I was intrigued when I was offered a copy of the book for review. I knew next to nothing about Queen Victoria and even less about her children, so this was going to be totally new to me.

The story starts in 1861 in England. Princess Louise is 12 years old at the beginning of the story, each chapter has a little blurb in the form of a letter to and from the royalty. Louise was the sixth child and fourth daughter of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Albert. She and her sibling's upbringing were strict with education with the emphasis on cooking, farming, household tasks, and carpentry, which the latter I found kind of odd. She was very artistic from a young age, but because she was a royal, pursuing the arts was not considered. She was allowed to attend an art school thanks to her mother.

The Queen was determined to carry her children off to the proper people. There was a list of royals to choose from but Louise would have none of them. She found little time for the niceties of finding a suitor. It was difficult to find the perfect suitor for her, she insisted that the husbands that she choose would have to live in England, so that left a lot of the royal men not suitable, which was fine in Louise's mind.

Louise was the unofficial secretary to Queen Victoria and that was a job she was well suited to. Prince Albert died and the Queen and all of the family went into deep mourning, so this left a lot of time to pursue her love of art., becoming a prolific sculptor and artist. Louise was best known for her philanthropic endeavors, and she received many honors for her works.

Princess Louise did meet and fall in love with John Campbell, telling her mother that she had no desire to marry a prince and she wanted to marry John. He was heir to the Dukedom of Argyll, Marquess of Lorne. Their marriage was a happy one for a time, then they drifted apart for a while but they persevered and the marriage continues.

I learned a lot about Louise, Queen Victoria, whom I always thought of as a fussy old woman but that could not be further from the truth. She just wanted what was best for her family and her kingdom. She had been deeply in love with Prince Albert and that love was passed down to her children.

I think that the author did a tremendous job in the research and writing, depicting the Queen and her children as a great family, notwithstanding issues, every family has that, even royalty.

I really enjoyed this book, I will be reading more by Heather B.Moore. I give this book 5 stars!

"Holding still for Louise is like telling a filly to walk slowly."

<i>In the Shadow of a Queen</i> follows the life of Princess Louise, the fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. We begin with Louise at age twelve, then progress through her life, watching her grow to a young woman and adult. We get to see world events in the context of (the rather enormous) royal family of England.

Wow. What a story this was. Heather Moore did a phenomenal job of bringing the royal family to life and letting us glimpse what might have been.

I've always been interested in Queen Victoria and her life, family, and legacy, so this book was a fascinating look into what her and her family's lives might have been like. Each of the interactions of the royal family felt genuine and authentic, and I found that I related to these people, even though our lives could not be more different.

While some of us dream of becoming royalty, the reality often seems to be far from a fairytale. Though some artistic license has been taken, this book shone a light on some of the harsh realities of the royals and life with the demanding and controlling Queen Victoria.

I loved Princess Louise. Louise was an artist through and through, and it was delightful to go on her life journey with her and see her grow and thrive and struggle against the constraints of her family and time period. She seemed so real to me, and starting helped me feel like I really got to know her.

This book is well written, and the research that went into it is phenomenal. I appreciated all the sources and the commentary on each chapter at the end of the book. Knowing that the events in the book were so steeped in true history made the entire book feel incredibly authentic.

There are a lot of slow moments, not boring moments, but definitely slow. However, this wasn't terribly surprising, as history is rarely as exciting as we might think. That being said, the content was fascinating enough to keep me interested in moving forward when the pacing slowed down.

Stepping into the lives of the royal family was an absolute delight, and Heather B. Moore painted such vivid pictures that I found myself engrossed from start to finish. I would absolutely recommend this book to any lover of English history or the royal family.

Thank you to Shadow Mountain Publishing and NetGalley for the complimentary digital copy. No positive review was required. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Princess Louise’s quest to become a sculptor flares to life as she convinces the Queen to allow a studio for sculpting and art teachers are hired, not a traditional path for young ladies. Princess Louise is coming of age so finding a marriage partner becomes the novel’s focus and the Queen’s quest. The parade of eligible men at breakfasts and dinners, plus sibling intervention wreak havoc on the royal plans and is quite entertaining. There is much suspense with the impending match and marriage contract; a reminder that one is “marrying into a complicated family and royal dynasty with traditions and expectations.”
Fans of all things Royal will thoroughly appreciate the accomplishments of Princess Louise as she becomes an independent thinker, a champion of change, and develops her own opinions despite being “in the shadow of a queen.”

Move over Queen Victoria... I want more of Princess Louise!

When I saw the cover and read the synopsis and who the author was for this title I KNEW I HAD to read it. Heather B Moore has a way of making history come alive in her books. I especially love her books based on true stories because I know how much research she does and I know I'm getting a quality representation on the subject matter.

I've read and enjoyed books about the royals before, but this was an immersive experience. You will feel like a fly on the wall as you experience all of the ups and downs throughout Louise's life and what being royal really might feel like. I loved reading the historical facts thrown in through royal letters and actual events that took place about these well known royals and even though they were not perfect, Heather did a great job of painting them in a positive light that helped you understand why some of the royal family acted the way that they did while still keeping true to the story and facts.

The love story was dreamy. I don't want to give too much away because you really need to experience it. I loved Louise's character. I loved her personality, determination and could really feel that come away from the page.

I highly recommend this book. Especially if you have ever been a fan of royals (at any point in history or now) you'll want to add this to the top of your TBR list!

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the copy. All thoughts in this review are my own.